Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why did the PIRA wear balaclavas?

Options
  • 25-03-2011 8:45pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 265 ✭✭

I was looking at old pira publicity photographs of the troubles and noticed that unlike their old ira counterparts of the 1920s they decided to wear balaclavas. What are the reasons for this?

ira-flying-column.jpg

2616795_f248.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Have a guess. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,815 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Probably because they didn't want to be identified breaking the law?

"Membership of the IRA remains illegal in both the UK and the Republic of Ireland"

Source

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭sanbrafyffe

ha what a daft question lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭PatsytheNazi

It's a stupid OP but you'd find that most of the photos of the IRA 1916 - 1921 were taking during the Treaty when the issue of British occupation was expected to be finished for good. A bit off topic possibly, but I remember well the British army in the first few years of the troubles used to go around with their faces covered in sort of black strips which I believe was done with burnt cork to try and disguise themselves from been identified. Strange but true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

In the wind that shakes the barley the men always cover their faces with scarves/hankerchiefs before attacking a barracks etc. I imagine that was the norm, and the pictures taken were usually for propaganda purposes or for promotion after the war rather than during. imo at least.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

I can say of all the pictures I have seen of my Local IRA Unit and its members, they were all either before or after, none that I can remember were taken during the war, which makes sense really as most active units were mobile and if the British got their hands on the Picture it would give them info about the strength of the unit and its members. Which would go badly for the members family's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Duh! To keep their ears warm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Why did the PIRA wear balaclavas?

As a balaclava can be kept on your head like a woolly hat before unfolding down to full face protection it would/could unable Pira to get to intended targets more efficiently without bringing undo attention to oneself,I would think if you turned out in the 20s with a balaclava you would have been shot by BOTH sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

I was looking at old pira publicity photographs of the troubles and noticed that unlike their old ira counterparts of the 1920s they decided to wear balaclavas. What are the reasons for this?

ira-flying-column.jpg

2616795_f248.jpg

you might also notice that that most IRA photos from the twenties were taken after the truce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

It's a stupid OP but you'd find that most of the photos of the IRA 1916 - 1921 were taking during the Treaty when the issue of British occupation was expected to be finished for good. A bit off topic possibly, but I remember well the British army in the first few years of the troubles used to go around with their faces covered in sort of black strips which I believe was done with burnt cork to try and disguise themselves from been identified. Strange but true.

You've answered a question I was going to ask before. I wondered how all these flying columns had time, or thought it wise to get their photos taken as if they were the local GAA team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Whats interesting is the various factions distinctive sartorial styles during the troubles
    i.e the Loyalist hat sunglasses scarf combination

UDA rally

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTtLJMOjEY537K5XUaiZJu1oa2-pe8pzBIhGEz4ocAVb0PgTGeYeA

Uncle Andy from Give my head peace

uncle_andy.jpg

Whats interesting is the various factions distinctive sartorial styles during the troubles
    i.e the Loyalist hat sunglasses scarf combination
    You've actually got a point there !!!!

Loyalistettes preparing eggs for their menfolk in the UDA.

tr17_42320s.jpg

tr4_42297s.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

[/IMG]

Bank robbers generally prefer anonimity.

21n_banksuspect_narrowweb__200x331.jpg

People have pointed out the timing of the photos of the war of independence. I would further point that in the war of independence the IRA were fighting for the majority of people, particularly as the campaign progressed. They took the fight in many cases directly to the occupying forces. On the otherhand the PIRA support base narrowed throughout their campaign (due to both the length of this and their tactics). They eroded any basis of support through their sectarian based murders, shooting Garda, bombing civilian rather than military targets and other general criminal activity (robbing banks, post offices, kneecappings, etc.)

Thus my point: It is important to differentiate between the 1920's IRA and subsequently the PIRA.

Bank robbers generally prefer anonimity.

21n_banksuspect_narrowweb__200x331.jpg

People have pointed out the timing of the photos of the war of independence. I would further point that in the war of independence the IRA were fighting for the majority of people, particularly as the campaign progressed. They took the fight in many cases directly to the occupying forces. On the otherhand the PIRA support base narrowed throughout their campaign (due to both the length of this and their tactics). They eroded any basis of support through their sectarian based murders, shooting Garda, bombing civilian rather than military targets and other general criminal activity (robbing banks, post offices, kneecappings, etc.)

Thus my point: It is important to differentiate between the 1920's IRA and subsequently the PIRA
    Ah yes, one of the " I'm all for armed struggle just so long as it was 90 years ago " brigade :rolleyes:. Unfortunately for the young men and women of the Falls Road, the Bogside, Tyrone etc and those from the south who stood by them, they didn't get the chance to philosophize on that one.

bloody-sunday.jpg

14 July 1969 Francis McCloskey (67) Catholic
    Status: Civilian (Civ), Killed by: Royal Ulster Constabulary (RUC)
    Died one day after being hit on head with batons during street disturbances, Dungiven, County Derry.
    17 July 1969 Samuel Devenny (42) Catholic
    Died three months after being badly beaten in his home, William Street, Bogside, Derry.
    14 August 1969 John Gallagher (30) Catholic
    Status: Civilian (Civ), Killed by: Ulster Special Constabulary (USC)
    Shot during street disturbances, Cathedral Road, Armagh.
    14 August 1969 Patrick Rooney (9) Catholic
    Shot at his home, during nearby street disturbances, St Brendan's Path, Divis Flats, Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Ah yes, one of the " I'm all for armed struggle just so long as it was 90 years ago " brigade :rolleyes:. Unfortunately for the young men and women of the Falls Road, the Bogside, Tyrone etc and those from the south who stood by them, they didn't get the chance to philosophize on that one.

bloody-sunday.jpg

14 July 1969 Francis McCloskey (67) Catholic
    Died one day after being hit on head with batons during street disturbances, Dungiven, County Derry.
    17 July 1969 Samuel Devenny (42) Catholic
    Died three months after being badly beaten in his home, William Street, Bogside, Derry.
    14 August 1969 John Gallagher (30) Catholic
    Status: Civilian (Civ), Killed by: Ulster Special Constabulary (USC)
    Shot during street disturbances, Cathedral Road, Armagh.
    14 August 1969 Patrick Rooney (9) Catholic
    Shot at his home, during nearby street disturbances, St Brendan's Path, Divis Flats, Belfast.

ah come on Patsy, No need for the condescension. We can all pick and choose selectively. Surely you are not proposing that for example the Garda Gerry McCabe was killed in a bank robbery as part of a campaign for justice to victims of police brutality in the north??? (as per your examples)
    I explained in my post why I would diferentiate between the 2 periods- "in the war of independence the IRA were fighting for the majority of people, particularly as the campaign progressed. They took the fight in many cases directly to the occupying forces. On the otherhand the PIRA support base narrowed throughout their campaign (due to both the length of this and their tactics)." I don't think the PIRA had anything like a majority support base in NI let alone over the whole island. I think anyone who equivocates the 2 campaigns dishonours people like Tom Barry who were real heroes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

*facepalm* Jonnie, don't be inciting people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement