Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ok, I'm getting a candy cab. Need some help.

• 25-03-2011 9:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭

So I've pretty much decided to get a candy cab as my first arcade machine after having a long think about it.
    I want to run hyperspin on it so it wont be a real arcade machine but this is what I want at the moment.

Now I just need to get one. I've looked around and found this place in the UK that sell refurbished machines setup for MAME etc. I've contacted them and they will sell me one without the pc as i want to install my own in it and also do a bit of modding on the case.

Has anyone had any dealings with this crowd at all?

Candy Cabs

_wsb_494x697_CandyCab_01.JPG

Also, what kind of resolutions do the screens on these usually run at and what types on monitors are usually installed in them?

I wont be getting it until May/June so have some time to shop around and source the cab.

Any help/advice/guidance is as always greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Steve SI wrote: »
    I want to run hyperspin on it so it wont be a real arcade machine but this is what I want at the moment.

Woah woah woah, stop there. A Mame pc will just function as an arcade pcb if you do it right & use a jpac/ipac. So to restore it back to being a jamma cab, simply plug out the jpac from the jamma harness & your done.

Secondly, contact Mitch before doing anything. He might have, or may be able to get you a Candy cab so you'll save a bunch on shipping.

Thirdly;

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭yrwhu8jxtni06a

Cab owner eh,use this entrance please-
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSW4f6wrUSznHa9PCoqETql8d8p5q9YgjqtLQFsRLsT9l4yejlKQ&t=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

EnterNow wrote: »
    Woah woah woah, stop there. A Mame pc will just function as an arcade pcb if you do it right & use a jpac/ipac. So to restore it back to being a jamma cab, simply plug out the jpac from the jamma harness & your done.

Secondly, contact Mitch before doing anything. He might have, or may be able to get you a Candy cab so you'll save a bunch on shipping.

Thirdly;

Yeah, I'm taking baby steps here to make sure I get the best setup I can. The guy from Candy Cabs said he would include the Ipac and Optipac cards with the cab. But he wants £1450 sterling for the cab, and thats without the pc :eek:

Also, the screen on the candy cabs from that site are only 19" which is too small I think. They may be touch sensitive and all but I'd rather a 29" monitor instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Woah, slow down there! For a start, the machines on that site aren't candy cabs. They're refurbished betting terminals. Basically he took old betting machines that go in bookies and turned them into arcade machines with tiny monitors - do not touch with a barge pole. At the price he's asking they're a joke.

What you need to do is research different types of candy cabs. Such as Egrets, Atomiswaves, Astros, Windy Cities, neos..there are lots. Good list here -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Japanese_arcade_cabinets

Pick which type you like and then see if you can source getting one.

If you want to put a PC in one with hyperspin, it's super easy. Just source a nice cabinet for a good price (600-900 for a candy, dependent on what it is) and then go from there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

o1s1n wrote: »
    Woah, slow down there! For a start, the machines on that site aren't candy cabs. They're refurbished betting terminals. Basically he took old betting machines that go in bookies and turned them into arcade machines with tiny monitors - do not touch with a barge pole. At the price he's asking they're a joke.

What you need to do is research different types of candy cabs. Such as Egrets, Atomiswaves, Astros, Windy Cities, neos..there are lots. Good list here -

If you want to put a PC in one with hyperspin, it's super easy. Just source a nice cabinet for a good price (600-900 for a candy, dependent on what it is) and then go from there.

Sage advice :)

The money that UK chap was asking is nuts, don't waste your time (even more so if they're not even real cabs!)

Master of the Universe

EnterNow wrote: »
    Sage advice :)

The money that UK chap was asking is nuts, don't waste your time (even more so if they're not even real cabs!)

I saw them a while ago and thought he must be taking the mick. It's obvious that he puts a lot of work into them, and fair play to that - they do look well for what they are.

But why the hell would you want a bastardized cab when for half the price you could have the real deal?! You could even import one from Japan for far less than that. Does not compute.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

+1 to that.

I had a look at that site a while back, fair enough he might put lots of work in but their not candy's, the screen looks way too small and the price is mental, especially if you then have to get it shipped over here.
    My Atomiswave SD with 2 player cp and 29" tri-sync monitor cost me around €800 I think it was not so long ago, not cheap but quality pieces of kit. Much better value than forking out 1400+ sterling.

Master of the Universe

Going by xe.com, 1400 sterling is 1,594.07 EUR.

So it's just e5.93 short of twice the price :eek:

And for that you get 10 inches LESS monitor space.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    +1 to that.

I had a look at that site a while back, fair enough he might put lots of work in but their not candy's, the screen looks way too small and the price is mental, especially if you then have to get it shipped over here.
    My Atomiswave SD with 2 player cp and 29" tri-sync monitor cost me around €800 I think it was not so long ago, not cheap but quality pieces of kit. Much better value than forking out 1400+ sterling.

I was looking at the Atomiswave SD and it looks the business. Where would I source something like that. I'm more used to sourcing pc parts than arcade cabs so I'm not sure where to begin. There was no way I was getting that candy cab from that website anyway. Not with a 19" monitor.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Over here, Mitchomagic had a few for sale (that's where I got mine)

Ondafly is sourcing one from Arcade Otaku. Might want to ask him.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Steve SI wrote: »
    I was looking at the Atomiswave SD and it looks the business. Where would I source something like that. I'm more used to sourcing pc parts than arcade cabs so I'm not sure where to begin. There was no way I was getting that candy cab from that website anyway. Not with a 19" monitor.

A user here called Mitchomagic is the main man when it comes to this I think. I got mine from purplec who in turn got it from mitch, I got lucky with good timing. Both of them are sound guys and were very helpful to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭whackball

Andrew76 wrote: »
    A user here called Mitchomagic is the main man when it comes to this I think. I got mine from purplec who in turn got it from mitch, I got lucky with good timing. Both of them are sound guys and were very helpful to me.

+1 re Mitch & PurpleC. Top arcade cab sellers and all round tech heads. Would always be my first choice to deal with when sourcing cabs in Ireland (I actually sold PurpleC his first cab and i think he is on #8 or #9 at this stage).

Other than that try ArcadeOTaku.com. I've had some cabs brought in from sellers over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

if your interested theres a blast city for sale on ebay at the moment. The seller is getting in loads more cabs for a proper big sale !

heres the current ebay advert - and he will ship to Ireland.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Sega-Blast-City-Video-Came-Cabinet-Candy-Cab-/170390461854?pt=UK_Video_Games_Coin_Operated_MJ&hash=item27ac101d9e

if you're going to buy one, keep it jamma, and don't hack it to bits just to put mame into. Have a serious good read on this wiki

http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Main_Page

Perhaps see a model you're interested in too, and read all the different things that are possible using the Jamma connection. Personally I was quite amazed how many different machines you can connect up to it with the right conversion harness.

ondafly wrote: »
    if your interested theres a blast city for sale on ebay at the moment. The seller is getting in loads more cabs for a proper big sale !

heres the current ebay advert - and he will ship to Ireland.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Sega-Blast-City-Video-Came-Cabinet-Candy-Cab-/170390461854?pt=UK_Video_Games_Coin_Operated_MJ&hash=item27ac101d9e

if you're going to buy one, keep it jamma, and don't hack it to bits just to put mame into. Have a serious good read on this wiki

http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Main_Page

Perhaps see a model you're interested in too, and read all the different things that are possible using the Jamma connection. Personally I was quite amazed how many different machines you can connect up to it with the right conversion harness.

Thanks for the links. I kind of have my heart set on the Atomiswave SD (if it will fit in my house that is) at the moment but wont really have the funds until May to get one.
    I'll do loads of research as I always do when I take on a new project so will know what I should and should not do. I mean already I know not to gut the thing and stick in MAME just from this thread :D

I'm willing to spend a bit of dosh on this thing so if anyone with more experience with these than me has any suggestions as to any sort of upgrades or mods please let me know. Should i upgrade the monitor,sticks,buttons etc etc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

That's just crazy money for those cabs. I've gotten two cabs and fitted them both with MAME rigs for considerably less. What size screen are you looking for?

LoGiE wrote: »
    That's just crazy money for those cabs. I've gotten two cabs and fitted them both with MAME rigs for considerably less. What size screen are you looking for?

Well I guess 28/29" would be the best option.
    I really want the Atomiswave but unfortunately I think it might be too wide to get through all the doors and up the stairs. The plans for it say it is 29.5" wide.
    If the control panel can be completely removed it might fit as it would only be about 25.5" deep then but I don't know if thats possible.

Master of the Universe

The Atomiswave SD control panel completely removes with a couple of bolts.

With it off you can pretty much fit it through any door. It makes a massive difference.

edit - it's 115kg by the way. So whether or not you can get it up a stairs is a completely different matter! :pac:

The Atomiswave SD control panel completely removes with a couple of bolts.

With it off you can pretty much fit it through any door. It makes a massive difference.

That is very good news indeed :D

What is the general consensus about the best candy cab available. I mean it probably all comes down to personal preference but is there one that stands out from the rest. I like the look of the Atomiswave and it seems to have enough room inside it for the type of tech and mods I am thinking of.

Also, was looking at this monitor. Link

Seems pricey but would it be worth it?

edit - it's 115kg by the way. So whether or not you can get it up a stairs is a completely different matter! :pac:

Yeah, that will require some creative thinking :)

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

The Atomiswave is a rebranded Egret II (At least I think it's a II) and comes with a tri sync monitor. (I'm pretty sure the Egret doesn't have a tri sync?)

Cool thing about tri syncs, they can support VGA.

The monitor itself is rotatable, but it takes quite a lot of effort and is supposedly pretty dodgy to do. From what I've read the Egret monitor rotates much easier.

But yeah, if you like the look of the Atomiswave then look out for Egrets too. (They're the nicest looking cabs if you ask me :))

As for best, I wouldn't be able to answer that one. In the end it just comes down to what you like the look of and age/quality. An obvious thing to look out for is the condition of the monitor. A lovely cab is no use to you if the monitor is old and worn with screen burn.

Master of the Universe

If you ever just want to have a gawk at an Atomiswave SD in person to size the thing up, let me know and you can have a look at my one. It's only down the road from you in Bray.

Unfortunately the monitor is still out of action (:() but it'll at least let you see if you can fit it into your house.

If you ever just want to have a gawk at an Atomiswave SD in person to size the thing up, let me know and you can have a look at my one. It's only down the road from you in Bray.

Unfortunately the monitor is still out of action (:() but it'll at least let you see if you can fit it into your house.

Cheers, I might take you up on that as it gets closer to decision time :)

You'll see yourself the size of the doors in the house tomorrow if your still dropping out that CRT to me anyway. I have a feeling it will fit fine with the control panel off. But as you say, getting up stairs might be an issue.

I guess it could live in the kitchen if I can convince the dog to not eat, lick or hump it :D

Although the girlfriend is Italian and they like the kitchen to be for cooking/eating, getting your retro on not so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,733 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Drooly drool drool drool.

Hard Candy

I wonder what happened to all the 50" monsters that used to be in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭purplec

That machine is a coverted bookie machine from a uk ladbrookes or something.

The places would start are as follows

1 mitchomagic ( cab in the country and sound guy)
    2 salesaddresses@digitalsystemsdesign.co.uk ( Jeff also sound guy you will have to pick your machine from pictures)
    3 rklok (user name on otaku, based in holland ships on a pallet for about 200 euro)

Parts for candy cabs have become increase gly harder to get in the last few months also with the tragedy that has fallen on japan this has become more evident with less items being listed on yahoo japan.

The price for an average dual sync candy cab is around £450 sterling, a machine that has been well looked after with nice with plastics good control panel can go for an extra £250

Tri sync no burn this is hugely important - for a good machine with a burn free monitor you can add up to £300

So for a nice machine imported your looking at £1000 and then pallet shipping add about €150 ~ €250 and don't forget insurance another €100

Try and exhaust all areas in Ireland.

purplec wrote: »

2 salesaddresses@digitalsystemsdesign.co.uk ( Jeff also sound guy you will have to pick your machine from pictures)
    3 rklok (user name on otaku, based in holland ships on a pallet for about 200 euro)

Parts for candy cabs have become increase gly harder to get in the last few months also with the tragedy that has fallen on japan this has become more evident with less items being listed on yahoo japan.

The price for an average dual sync candy cab is around £450 sterling, a machine that has been well looked after with nice with plastics good control panel can go for an extra £250

Tri sync no burn this is hugely important - for a good machine with a burn free monitor you can add up to £300

So for a nice machine imported your looking at £1000 and then pallet shipping add about €150 ~ €250 and don't forget insurance another €100

Thanks for the info, its going to come in very handy. :D

I'd love to get the machine from someone in Ireland. I'd save a lot on shipping and to be honest I'd just rather give the money to someone local rather than sending it off to the UK or even Japan.

purplec wrote: »

Just tried to contact jeff at salesaddresses@digitalsystemsdesign.co.uk and got an returned email that the address is not correct. I also tried sales@digitalsystemsdesign.co.uk and salesaddress@digitalsystemsdesign.co.uk and got the same error.
    Anyone have another email address for Jeff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

heres the address he gave me

support@digitalsystemsdesign.co.uk

Advertisement