Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web Voting

Options
  • 25-03-2011 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭

I see UL managed to successfully implement online voting for their SU elections and had a significant jump in votes cast as a result.

If the SU manage to do one thing positive next year they should do that. Although, it would probably threaten the clique so maybe they wouldn't want to do that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

I've been advocating this for years, I think it would be a great idea. It would really open it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Hoku

There would definitely be an increase in participation in elections. It'll get around the whole "What, you're a Quinn/Science student? Sorry, you can't vote here - this polling station is for Arts students only" situation.

Last year 90% of my lectures ended up being in Newman, despite the fact that I'm registered for BCIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Security wise and for voting integrity I doubt it would work. There would be a big risk of mis-votes, double votes etc etc. Nice idea and I'd be all for it, if it was secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

The problem is, that physically having to walk through a massive group of canvassers to get to a polling station is probably the only slightly balanced election information they ever get.

And then it would properly just become a popularity contest!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

errlloyd wrote: »
    The problem is, that physically having to walk through a massive group of canvassers to get to a polling station is probably the only slightly balanced election information they ever get.

And then it would properly just become a popularity contest!!

There's a flipside to that. I was actually put off voting by the canvassers, particularly people who have extremely "active" canvassers. So if I were simply emailed their manifestos (another change I'd make) and could vote online, it would eliminate a lot of annoyances. It would also cut out a lot of waste. And would save canvassers from somebody like me eventually flipping out and opening a can of whoop ass :pac:

And they are pretty much popularity contests anyway given the average voter turnouts. Most of the voters are people who know the people involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Hoku

ironclaw wrote: »
    Security wise and for voting integrity I doubt it would work. There would be a big risk of mis-votes, double votes etc etc. Nice idea and I'd be all for it, if it was secure.
    Mis-votes and double votes could be easily addressed by means of a confirmation page: "Are you sure you want to vote for these people?" and once the student (verified via UCD Connect) has voted, he/she is marked as "voted" in a database.

I'd say the main issue would be infrastructure-related... If memory serves me right, SISWeb tends to go down for a while, when results are released or registration for the upcoming semester is opened, simply due to not being able to handle the number of requests that comes through.
    (Almost like a DDOS attack, but with a perfectly legitimate source)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

I'm in Queen's and the SU here use online voting, it works well and there's none of this taking up space racket with polling stations. In fairness, if it works in QUB and in UL, I can't see why it wouldn't work in UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

errlloyd wrote: »

I believe the UL system worked in the format that when you logged on to vote, you had access to a video clip from each candidate and access to their manifesto, which when all centralised on one website, makes candidate information really accessible.

If the SU genuinely want to try to include the wider population of UCD, this would be a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

dyl10 wrote: »
    If the SU genuinely want to try to include the wider population of UCD, this would be a good start.

There in lies the problem. Methinks they are quite happy with the status quo.

Advertisement