Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Woodquay Pub

Options
  • 25-03-2011 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭

Opening soon in the former Stage Door. i cant remember the name, but its sign says bar/kitchen. Also ad in its window for any blues,roots and jazz groups to play there. Presuming its no longer a gay bar too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

Muddy Murphy's

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Not a good location, that area is where all the scanger bars are ala the goalpost.

Scanger bars? Most of them are just locals, older crowd pubs. Never seen/heard of any trouble around there.
    That word skanger annoys the hell out of me anyway; feckin Dublin slang!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

wood quay is a great area. The bars are all quiet local types with people who've been going there for years and tend to look at you funny as ya walk in but far from rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Agree, mostly locals around there. The odd arty crowd from the Town Hall and at the weekend, a bunch mentaller drunk students floating from McSwiggans etc, but usually not rough.

• Advertisement

Sorry guys i was only talking about the goalpost not the other pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Just the goalpost? The Central oozes class doesn't it?!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

inisboffin wrote: »
    Agree, mostly locals around there. The odd arty crowd from the Town Hall and at the weekend, a bunch mentaller drunk students floating from McSwiggans etc, but usually not rough.

Drunk students and McSwiggins???
    Ive not been in for a few months but that doesnt compute.
    Sure you dont mean Hole In The Wall.

Drunk students and McSwiggins???
    Ive not been in for a few months but that doesnt compute.
    Sure you dont mean Hole In The Wall.

There are definitely more students in Hole in the Wall, yeah, but the last few times I was down that end of town on a Wed or Thurs (Student night), and a Sat a load of students landed over from Mc Swiggans. There is some drink special there, maybe it's a pint of Guinness? Anyway, definitely a certain student crowd that are regulars there. Nice enough crowd, off their faces, but nice ;)

Hope its not going downhill. Only time it used ever have students was for a match. And they were the respectful sound type as opposed to the usual bunch of spoilt idiots we see around at night.
    Guinness is 3euro alright but it doesnt come in a shot glass or mixed with Red Bull so it shouldnt attract the wrong crowd hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

inisboffin wrote: »
    There are definitely more students in Hole in the Wall, yeah, but the last few times I was down that end of town on a Wed or Thurs (Student night), and a Sat a load of students landed over from Mc Swiggans. There is some drink special there, maybe it's a pint of Guinness? Anyway, definitely a certain student crowd that are regulars there. Nice enough crowd, off their faces, but nice ;)

Students in McSwiggans? cough *bullplop* cough.

Students in McSwiggans? cough *bullplop* cough.

Ha ha! I hope I haven't blown their cover! (they sometimes look *just like other people* you know! I only knew they were students as they were chatting to my group of friends)

Yup, keep the plop for your flowerbeds, there's a largeish group of young drinkers, who also happen to be studying in college, and regularly drink in Mc Swiggians!

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Shanley

Been to the Goalpost many of times, one of the only pubs in Woodquay with a doorperson refusing scumbags as far as I can recall?
    Very nice pub anyways IMO

Best of Luck to this new place, will be def in for a look, their signing outside has a bit of an Irish-American feel to it but who knows!

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Placebo Effect

Not a good location, that area is where all the scanger bars are ala the goalpost.

Harsh, what socio-economic clientele fits your criteria for a decent bar?

Thought that kind of snobbery died with the Celtic Tiger.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Steady on chaps, this is not Bohermore ( home of the "Corporate Get Together" in Galway) after all :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

If you're going to call the goalpost's crowd skangers admit you have a grudge against castlegar hurling.

Btb, who let you out of yank's?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

back to the topic, anyone been in there yet, i passed in taxi earlier and noticed it was open.
    Cool..been looking forward to checking it out. Used to be a great pub years ago, no reason why it shouldn't again.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Off-topic/bickering removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Just found this thread.

Muddy Maher is the name of it. It opened on Sunday. John is the guy who is running it. Very nice guy. Was only in there again with him today. I supply him some beers in Bottle and Draught.

He did have some issues opening due to the feckin license from the previous owners who went "bang". He was supposed to open before Paddys day, on Paddys day and just after. One thing after another really. He is open now. Seriously folks, head in and judge it for yourself. Its a nice place. Lots of things on the wall to keep the eyes occupied. There is a great range of beers to be had as well. Everything from Guinness, through Heineken, O'Haras, Erdinger & Fischers and more.

(pppsssstttt the Oslo has Peroni on draught). I don't sell Peroni but its a rare thing to see on draught(installed on the 6/4/11)

Ooh O Haras!!
    Must pay a visit. Hope his prices are at the Woodquay rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭soadtool

pint is a little more expensive in muddy's. but could be worth it if entertainment is good.

How much is a pint?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Berty wrote: »
    Muddy Maher is the name of it. It opened on Sunday. John is the guy who is running it. Very nice guy. Was only in there again with him today. I supply him some beers in Bottle and Draught.

..... Its a nice place. Lots of things on the wall to keep the eyes occupied. There is a great range of beers to be had as well. Everything from Guinness, through Heineken, O'Haras, Erdinger & Fischers and more.

Funnily enough I was going to come and post much the same thing. Was in there last night, and found out very similar info.

Pints 3.90, for Guinness and O'Haras anyway, so not really Woodquay prices. Will be interesting to see if they respond to market forces on that front. That said, I'd not met O'Haras before, rather like it. They also have Hooegarden (spelling, schmelling!) on tap.

Music starts tomorrow (Sunday) night, and they're looking for more jazz / blues acts. Yer man's not keen on trad though, so don't be suggesting any of that to him.

Galway Hooker 4euro. Thats good. The jazz is Sunday mornings I think.

But there is one fking annoying barman working there!

On the plus side the benches outside would be a handy addition to the dog walking route ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭SparKing

Galway Hooker 4euro. Thats good.

Seems to be the price for Hooker across the board.
    It is in Kellys and O Connells anyway,

But there is one fking annoying barman working there!

Oh in what way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Phantom Crapper

Was in there the other evening. Very nice place. Some amazing stuff on the walls. Bit quite, but apparently their only open a fortnight yet. It looks like it could be a cult pub. Good music, and theyve a policy of most styles of muisc except trad.
    The staff on when I was there were pleasant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Berty wrote: »
    Just found this thread.

He did have some issues opening due to the feckin license from the previous owners who went "bang". He was supposed to open before Paddys day, on Paddys day and just after. One thing after another really. He is open now. Seriously folks, head in and judge it for yourself. Its a nice place. Lots of things on the wall to keep the eyes occupied. There is a great range of beers to be had as well. Everything from Guinness, through Heineken, O'Haras, Erdinger & Fischers and more.

(pppsssstttt the Oslo has Peroni on draught). I don't sell Peroni but its a rare thing to see on draught(installed on the 6/4/11)

it seems to be an Oirish pub and sure why not. its what the tourists want.

Advertisement