Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Woodquay Pub

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Galway Hooker 4euro. Thats good. The jazz is Sunday mornings I think.

apparently a popular beer. I was crucified in another thread for daring to criticise it.

But there is one fking annoying barman working there!

how is he annoying? does he greet you with 'top of the morning'?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

We popped in last night for a nose. Needs a few more people, so hope it picks up for him. Staff were nice and the band were really great. I'd go back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭brozio7

Was also in Muddy's last night, really liked the place and once they get a few more in the door it'll be a great spot. Band were very good too.

The owner came over to our group, introduced himself and got us a round on the house :pac:

will be going back, really like the idea of jazz on sunday afternoons too!

brozio7 wrote: »

The owner came over to our group, introduced himself and got us a round on the house :pac:

Drat! Should have sat at your table:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Fuinseog wrote: »
    apparently a popular beer. I was crucified in another thread for daring to criticise it.

It's a very good pale ale.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

We were there too.

Liked the fact that it wasn't packed, so breathing and even a seat weren't out f the question.

Volume was a bit loud for me (ok, so I'm old!), and I wasn't overly impressed with the very loud "ok folks, time to go" routine at one minute after drinking-up-time finished ... not very Woodquay at all.

JustMary wrote: »

Volume was a bit loud for me (ok, so I'm old!), and I wasn't overly impressed with the very loud "ok folks, time to go" routine at one minute after drinking-up-time finished ... not very Woodquay at all.

I found it a bit loud too, great sound but loud.TIt was a problem with the PA I overheard though, and the band couldn't hear themselves. Teething problems I'd say. The owner isn't local and I get the feeling he is doing everything very by the book (as opposed to the Galway/Woodquay way ;) )

Same with the food menu, looks good but a little pricey for location. Hopefully that'll mellow out. It was indeed great to get a seat, and I think the place could do well if they iron out the kinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Phantom Crapper

Was in there too. Looks like a great addition to the area. The music was too loud though. But they did get it sorted. Some very pretty women, so I'll be back. Didn't see the menu? Didn't notice food being served.
    Like the music policy! No bleeding Trad. That's great news. A venture like this deserves support, for having the b#lls to do something different. And the beer selection is super loads of stuff to try. Good luck to them.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

In the spirit of honesty I better own up to being the drummer for the Prodigal Blues Band.
    Yeah we did have some PA issues that night but we should be grand next time out..... 6th May :)
    Do like the place and I like whet he's trying to do but he needs to start bringin bigger crowds and its tough as the place is a bit off the beaten track.... still heres hopin

HB

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Phantom Crapper

It might be a bit off the track, but there's no reason why people shouldn't make the trek down to Wood Quay for a beer or a good gig, by the sounds of it. Spread the word! Do them a favour anyway. The beer selection itself is a good reason to want to go there. I get a great buzz from being able to sample different beers, especially at this side of town.

hamsterboy wrote: »
    In the spirit of honesty I better own up to being the drummer for the Prodigal Blues Band.
    Yeah we did have some PA issues that night but we should be grand next time out..... 6th May :)
    Do like the place and I like whet he's trying to do but he needs to start bringin bigger crowds and its tough as the place is a bit off the beaten track.... still heres hopin

HB

Fair play HB - really great band. I'd see ye again wherever for sure :)

I'd agree, a lot of folks still don't know about the place. Haven't seen any advertising or flyers by the owners either. A sign guy even might be an idea. Even the city centre pubs do that. Still, ultimately it's Galway, so probably will be word of mouth if there's good music, drink selection and atmosphere. Takes time, so a boost would be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

inisboffin wrote: »
    Fair play HB - really great band. I'd see ye again wherever for sure :)

I'd agree, a lot of folks still don't know about the place. Haven't seen any advertising or flyers by the owners either. A sign guy even might be an idea. Even the city centre pubs do that. Still, ultimately it's Galway, so probably will be word of mouth if there's good music, drink selection and atmosphere. Takes time, so a boost would be good.

He had a few A4 things fly-postered around town the first weekend ... not actually the best of things to be doing. Haven't seen any others though - but apparently he is aware of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gingganggooley

I checked this place out last night and the music was outstandingly good. Really nice place.

went in there the other night. one of my party does not drink, but they did not charge for the red lemonade, which was sound.
    they had bluegrass live, which was enjoyable, but not too loud. I must say the place is unique enough to have potential.

maybe this place and McSwiggans will lead to a rejuvenation of Woodquay like in the Westend.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭aido179

Fuinseog wrote: »

maybe this place and McSwiggans will lead to a rejuvenation of Woodquay like in the Westend.

With any luck! woodquay is a fantastic location. its such a pity its lost the business lately.
    I'll have to pop in at some stage. I play music in mcswiggs every thursday so it'd be worth scoping out the competition! haha

if they brought back the Woodquay festival it would bring the crowds. If they got rid of all the cars it would be even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Brilliant band (imo) 'The Screamin Bluecats' playing there next Thursday.
    Its three lads from 'The Maimin Cajun Band' doing Rockabilly stuff. They dont play in town very often.

Advertisement