Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the deal with Harvey Norman? Or lack thereof

Options
  • 25-03-2011 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭

Genuine question here folks. Can someone please explain Harvey Normans sales and commission structure?

Went in recently to buy a new laptop, the machine I had my eye on didn't have a sale sign on it so I presumed there was a bit of haggle room there! However when I asked for a ram upgrade included for free which was €39 I was told the laptop was already at cost price so they couldn't budge! I was in shock. I had checked online on my phone whilst in the store and I could order the same machine from the UK delivered to my house for €100 less but I was willing to part with my €600 to give the business locally if they would come down a little on the price! Not a hope!

I'm no sales expert but surely €39 off a sale for €600 isn't a deal breaker right? Especially when visually there was no prior price displayed anywhere and the sign outside the shop as I walked in pleaded with me to negotiate a sale today?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 peveril13

got a buddy who sells laptops small scale in east cork and he always told me the markup on laptops is tiny and there is no money to be made from them directly only from the add ons.

as for a deal in Harvey Norman, I was in the little island store tonight and I got a panasonic ipod dock for e30, reduced from e169!
    also saw a dyson vac in there for e159 that I had seen in Currys earlier for e299

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭FunnyStuff

To be honest, there is no margin on laptops, but in saying that, if it were me i would have taken it to get your custom. Better to have you spend it with me than put your 600 euro in somebody else's till.

Depending on the machine, it may have been a unit that had been marked down below floor cost and he didnt wanna take another hit on it, but if it was at cost, then yeah definately take it to get your custom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

i bought a netbook in harveys (airport roundabout one)last year and the took €50 off it to match flor griffins price there and then in store.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

I was in the market for an oven recently. In the end Soundstore matched Harvey Normans price. But HN in Little Island displayed different prices to HN in Cork . when I questioned it I was told they are are not owned by the same franchisee.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

But HN in Little Island displayed different prices to HN in Cork . when I questioned it I was told they are are not owned by the same franchisee.

I found the guys out by the Kinsale Rd Roundabout way more helpful in the past. more willing to do deals, to help out and just to sell in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

I was in the market for an oven recently. In the end Soundstore matched Harvey Normans price. But HN in Little Island displayed different prices to HN in Cork . when I questioned it I was told they are are not owned by the same franchisee.

Harvey Norman stores are not franchised operations. They are all owned by The Harvey Norman group.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

peveril13 wrote: »
    as for a deal in Harvey Norman, I was in the little island store tonight and I got a panasonic ipod dock for e30, reduced from e169!

Hey,

Have you got a pic or a link to this ipod dock? Did they have many of them?

Edit: This one is it?
    http://www.harveynorman.ie/panasonic-ipod-dock.html

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭mlumley

They didn't sell it to you as they knew someone else will come in and buy it at their price. There is a store in clonmel who wont give you a euro off, cos they know some one will pay their price.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I've found that Harvey Normans sometimes chop prices off without being asked, sometimes they don't, seems to be potluck. For things like laptops/computers though, they ain't super competitive against online retailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mcko

I must say the Kinsale Rd shop staff always seem friendly and helpful, I have bought 2 laptops there and a camera that I dropped and damaged yet they got it repaired free of charge.I never shopped in the Little Island shop but they are all one outfit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I find they can be a bit tight on prices but it depends on the sales person too.

Sat Nav. Wanted one and had money in hand. Can't sell you that one it's the last one.

Leave a deposit and come back Wednesday and I'll have one in a box; I did not leave a deposit but came back Wednesday to hear her tell me what I knew already, she had none.

A week later I came in again and the SatNav was still on display only now with a big discount during one of their sales days. A different assistant was really eager and said he would see if they were in stock, returning he immediately said no but could give us this one with an additional €50 off the sales price and still have the usual warranty ~

We bit his hand off! :D

Advertisement