Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claddagh Swans

Options
  • 25-03-2011 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭

A couple of quick questions regarding these swans that I and my chums have pondered from time to time

Where do they lay their eggs?
    Where are their nests, if they do in fact have nests?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭whatsyourquota

I was thinking the same thing recently and the only time iv seen baby swans is up the canal a bit so im guessing there nests are up there maybe by the cathedral?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Maybe the swans at the Claddagh are just young ones as in a couple of years old or so, and maybe there are no breeding pairs there. Swans mate for life but not sure how young they are before they reach maturity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Where do they lay their eggs?
    Where are their nests, if they do in fact have nests?

I know your game, leave our swans off your dinner table:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

I know your game, leave our swans off your dinner table:mad:

nyom nyom nyom :D

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭samdeman

their eggs are quite nice actually, had them a few times when i was in sweden. i think its kind of frowned upon here to take their eggs. try seagull eggs. they are actually nicer and are easy enough to get. there is usually a nest or two on top of the cliff in silverstrand. also on the little island out there near the driving range. but be careful, the tide can easily catch you out and you could be stuck on the island

• Advertisement

samdeman wrote: »
    their eggs are quite nice actually, had them a few times when i was in sweden. i think its kind of frowned upon here to take their eggs. try seagull eggs. they are actually nicer and are easy enough to get. there is usually a nest or two on top of the cliff in silverstrand. also on the little island out there near the driving range. but be careful, the tide can easily catch you out and you could be stuck on the island

any way to tell how far they've gone, as in is there a half formed chick inside??

• Registered Users Posts: 24 MinkyMoon

That's horrible I hope you both are joking!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

It might be a good idea not to post any locations here. I'm sure there's lots of reedy places in Galway's waterways they could nest. Leave them be until they come out for a swim and enjoy their beauty then !

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭extraice

guy i know who back of his house , on to canal / river had lay their eggs there and with help off few that keeped it quit , also help of Galway & Claddagh Swan
    that on FB aswell
    but dont feed them bread ... not good for them ..... is this ture ?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

extraice wrote: »
    Rosemary and garlic, I believe, for best results.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The swans in the claddagh are teenagers in swan terms. Adults and chicks live elsewhere in the main.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The swans in the claddagh are teenagers in swan terms. Adults and chicks live elsewhere in the main.

Attracted by the left over bottles of buck fast no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

extraice wrote: »
    guy i know who back of his house , on to canal / river had lay their eggs there and with help off few that keeped it quit , also help of Galway & Claddagh Swan
    that on FB aswell
    Yes swans gain no nutritional value from eating white and mouldy bread. Par-boiled veg scraps are a good alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭drum!

Swans are beginning to nest at various locations across the city. I think it would be best if people refrained from posting the locations on this or any other forum.

drum! wrote: »
    Swans are beginning to nest at various locations across the city. I think it would be best if people refrained from posting the locations on this or any other forum.

actually thats fair enough, it;s jjst something that we have wondered

We got the cops called on us one night where we were having a couple of cans at the arch and we saw two swans chase another one down to where the steps are. These swans were pecking this wan to death, I mean they made bits of him, and we started throwing lumps of earth at the attacking swans. Numerous people stoppped to eff the head off us, and undertanably so cos all they saw was us firing lumps of earth at swans.
    But we ended up climing into the river, nearly drowned, and carried this swan up onto the bak and waited for 3 hours for ISPCA to come to look after this swan who was in bits.
    Passers by went from very hostile to complimentary when they saw what we were doing, we waited hours and they came. This swan sivering in our arms. I never saw anything like it, the vengeance these other swans had, literllay flew after this fella and attacked him to pieces.
    We got word the next day that the swan had died.
    Nature can be a cruel motherf*cker, but this is what sometimes happens.
    I have rambelled at this late hour but I hope you see that I enquired out of curiosity and appprecitation

I never questioned your intentions, sorry if it came across that way. I'm sure you'd never intentionally harm a swan but there's alot of people out there who might use any info on nesting locations to raid nests for eggs or harm swans as we have seen in Galway in the past.

On a side note, i saw two swans finish their nest today. It was pretty cool but there is a cat scoping them out for the last few days. He's licking his lips already...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭whatsyourquota

Why would anyone steal swans eggs?

I've never heard of it here yet but some people steal them to sell them, eat them or hatch them and rear them as pets or for meat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Why would anyone steal swans eggs?
    Here's a clue... Why do we steal chicken eggs?
    I'm sure it's illegal, but you asked why...
    Swans are vicious alright. If you're feeding them they attack any other birds in the area to make sure their cygnets get everything, and they'll even have a go at people on the riverbank who aren't giving them food!
    They're lovely looking animals and all, but watch out!
    Ot sure why they need to be fed at all mind you. If they can't look after themselves we're only artificially inflating their population with it.

I think all birds are pretty vicious when it comes to food and their hatchlings aren't they?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 WindyMyth

Not like swans. Swans are notorious for being mean SOBs even when their young aren't involved. If a swan is in my path, I'll take the long way around, thank you very much.

WindyMyth wrote: »
    If a swan is in my path, I'll take the long way around, thank you very much.

Jaysis, i've never had to avoid swans like that. Did you get attacked once or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 WindyMyth

Back in the States, we had a pair of swans living on a pond in a park that had to be transplanted because they were so territorial over the pond, attacking people whose only provocative action was walking down the footpath.

Canadian geese are the same way, but travel in far larger groups, so you just have to wait out their migrations. *shrug* What can you do? :)

I lived in Massachusetts for a while and there were reports similar to what you've explained there alright. I have never heard of anything happening like that down in the Claddagh though. I regularly let Swans eat out of my hands down there and the only thing that could be contsrued as "aggressive" is that they follow me when i'm walking away or they'll start biting the bag with the food in it if im not giving anything out.

I wouldn't worry about those swans dude, they're pretty placid and used to people. They also don't seem to be very territorial down there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

There used be a next out the back of the bish, the far side of the canal, but they moved on when the primary school (or whatever it was) down from the Pres convent on Mill St was demolished.
    Now, there are a few nests up by Jordan's island, I've gotten attacked once or twice by a swan up there, he's aggressive as ****.

wet-paint wrote: »
    I've gotten attacked once or twice by a swan up there, he's aggressive as ****.

Around a nest? Yip, that's pretty likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭yeehaw

A swan can break your arm you know...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I know someone who's dog was killed by a swan. The dog made the mistake of entering the water after a swan and the swan made short work of him.

Swans can be bastards away from nests and cygnets as well as anyone who's been rowing will testify!

Advertisement