Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to open port 22 for ssh?

• 25-03-2011 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

I'm trying to set up a git repository with githup.com. Followed all the instructions which I didn't have any problem with. Everything has worked fine.

As this is for an Android App and I'm using Eclipse I thought the easiest would be to use egit to maintaining the repository up to date.

The only problem I had was when I tried pushing the branch up to githup.com. After a little search it seams my firewall or something is stoping port 22 from forwarding.

Here are some of the things I'm trying:
    $ ssh -v git@githup.com

output:
    OpenSSH_5.5p1 Debian-4ubuntu5, OpenSSL 0.9.8o 01 Jun 2010
    debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
    debug1: Applying options for *
    debug1: Connecting to githup.com [74.54.82.151] port 22.
    debug1: connect to address 74.54.82.151 port 22: Connection refused
    ssh: connect to host githup.com port 22: Connection refused

So, then I tried;
    $ telnet githup.com 22

output:
    Trying 74.54.82.151...
    telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused

but if I try:
    $ telnet githup.com 80

output:
    Trying 74.54.82.151...
    Connected to githup.com.
    Escape character is '^]'.

Which is showing that is connecting on port 80. After looking some more I thought I didn't have a Daemon listening for port 22 but this should otherwise:
    $ ps -A | grep sshd

output:
    2763 ?        00:00:00 sshd
     2905 ?        00:00:00 sshd
     3703 ?        00:00:00 sshd

$ sudo netstat --inet -lpn | grep sshd

output:
    tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:22              0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      3703/sshd       

Just in case this helps:
    $ head /etc/init.d/ssh

output:
    #! /bin/sh

### BEGIN INIT INFO
    # Provides:		sshd
    # Required-Start:	$remote_fs $syslog
    # Required-Stop:	$remote_fs $syslog
    # Default-Start:	2 3 4 5
    # Default-Stop:		
    # Short-Description:	OpenBSD Secure Shell server
    ### END INIT INFO

And this:
    $ ls -l /etc/init.d/ssh

output:
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 3704 2011-01-09 12:11 /etc/init.d/ssh

Any ideas???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Change "githup" to "github". Then try :D

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭heepie

Thank you Aaron... I feel really silly now :P... After me spending like an hour trying to make this work...

So, all of the above becomes completely irrelevant because of my spelling mistake, and thanks to CosmicFrog I'm able to confirmed I can connect to github.com through port 22 but I'm still not able to push to the repository for some reason.

Here is the window with the settings from the egit plugin for eclipse to push to the repository:
    github.png

But I'm getting this error:
    Screenshot-Transport%20Error%20.png

I've tried with my user and password for my ssh key and my github account name and password but neither of them seem to work.

I'm pretty tired right now, I'll try again tomorrow morning... Today may be my unlucky day.... even though tomorrow morning will still be today...:confused:

Advertisement