Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

David Villa now top Spanish goalscorer of all time

• 25-03-2011 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

He now has 45 goals, 1 ahead of Raúl. He has broken the record with 30 less games, 0.629 strikers rate.

Superb ratio.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

make it 46 with a peno 4 mins later

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Watching this game at the moment, great achievement for Villa.

Torres is playing absolutely dire, he's lost the ball every time the ball has come to feet, a wayward pass or two and a bad shot just there. Seems completely out of sorts.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Will be very interesting to see how many more he'll get. Still another years in him.

Always thought torres would be up there with him, but it seems like he couldnt score in a w***e house lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Torres was awful but Villa won me a bit of dosh so can't complain! Great achievement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The best striker in world football at the minute, without a doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Paully D wrote: »
    I think Villa is world class, but Villa hasn't been as good this season as he was in previous seasons for Valencia. Maybe it's the big fish in a small pond syndrome, I don't know. I suppose it's harder to shine when you're playing with a team of great players, as opposed to being the only great player at Valencia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I think Villa is world class, but Villa hasn't been as good this season as he was in previous seasons for Valencia. Maybe it's the big fish in a small pond syndrome, I don't know. I suppose it's harder to shine when you're playing with a team of great players, as opposed to being the only great player at Valencia.

He's still the best striker in the world IMO, and the bit in bold is exactly correct.

He's a big part of a great team now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Torres was awful but Villa won me a bit of dosh so can't complain! Great achievement.

honestly not trying to get a dig in but is he going downhill with every game he plays? Showed some good touches lately with chelsea - but he's not scored a goal since when exactly?

Villa- a goal machine.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    honestly not trying to get a dig in but is he going downhill with every game he plays? Showed some good touches lately with chelsea - but he's not scored a goal since when exactly?

22nd of Jan against Wolves iirc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Yakult wrote: »
    22nd of Jan against Wolves iirc.

That's a long time for a top class striker - lge and cup games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

He's still the best striker in the world IMO, and the bit in bold is exactly correct.
    For Barcelona, he doesn't really play as a striker though. They play with three forwards who don't really play to any specific position, that's why you see Villa playing on the wing as often as he would play as what you would call a proper centre forward. Messi is the greatest forward in the world, Ronaldo probably second, Villa would be third in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

Just looking at Spains all time goalscorers,3rd-Fernando Hierro is a bit of a mad one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

His first goal tonight was amazing. His control from a heavy ball in to him, turn, feign and finish (small deflection granted)... absolutely brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

bradlente wrote: »
    Just looking at Spains all time goalscorers,3rd-Fernando Hierro is a bit of a mad one.

And The Vulture is miles behind, between Aragones and Del Bosque they united a country and got them playing as one a job in itself.

Mad how many simply amazing players and teams they had and never won **** due to "political" interference and influence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Villa- a goal machine.

Even when he was at the top of his game at Liverpool, he was ropey enough for Spain.

The system that Liverpool employed suited him perfectly. Chelsea's and Spain's does not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

bradlente wrote: »

Penalties and free kicks counted for a lot and of course headers from corners.

A favourite quiz question of mine actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

dreamers75 wrote: »
    And The Vulture is miles behind, between Aragones and Del Bosque they united a country and got them playing as one a job in itself.

Mad how many simply amazing players and teams they had and never won **** due to "political" interference and influence.

A reason why I hold Raul's record in high regard and wonder if Villa could do it when the "team" was so disjointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

No surprise there, Villa is a class act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

A legend, such a shame Rafa Benitez failed to sign him from Zaragoza when he had the chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Dempsey wrote: »
    A reason why I hold Raul's record in high regard and wonder if Villa could do it when the "team" was so disjointed.

Maybe Villa's inclusion since 2005 has been a major factor in ensuring the team is no longer 'disjointed'. Top scorer awards in consecutive Euro Championship and World Cup, as well as winners medals in both would point to that.

If Raul scored with the same frequency as David Villa has maybe Spain would have won more trophies prior to 2008. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    A legend, such a shame Rafa Benitez failed to sign him from Zaragoza when he had the chance.

He wouldn't move, quoted in 2004 at zaragoza that he didn't like the beatles or english food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

hes a poor mans Robbie keane (46) :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

He wouldn't move, quoted in 2004 at zaragoza that he didn't like the beatles or english food.

Just lost all respect for him. Pity, great striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

eZe^ wrote: »
    Maybe Villa's inclusion since 2005 has been a major factor in ensuring the team is no longer 'disjointed'. Top scorer awards in consecutive Euro Championship and World Cup, as well as winners medals in both would point to that.

If Raul scored with the same frequency as David Villa has maybe Spain would have won more trophies prior to 2008. ;)

No its more down to the fact that several of the starting 11 come from La Masia and the rest are made up of world class professionals like Casillas & Xabi Alonso

Your David Villa fanboyism is distorting reality tbh

Dempsey wrote: »
    Your David Villa fanboyism is distorting reality tbh

Nothing to do with the possibility that David Villa might actually be a better goal scorer than Raul no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,026 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

eZe^ wrote: »
    Nothing to do with the possibility that David Villa might actually be a better goal scorer than Raul no?
    I'm not giving an opinion on this. Just saying that you are always going to pick a current Barca player over a Real Madrid legend so no matter whether you are right or wrong on the matter you will always be looked at as biased in an instance like this.

That's grand sher, as long as Villa continues to bang them in for club and country I'll gladly be labelled a 'fanboi'. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭AstonMartin

he is a greedy hoor. I would take suarez over him nevermind the likes of de natale or any of the argentina forwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

he is a greedy hoor. I would take suarez over him nevermind the likes of de natale or any of the argentina forwards.

Suarez will be lucky to be half the player Villa is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Villa- a goal machine.
    Plenty of rumours flying around about Torres off field problems that might be affecting his play. Either way great bit of business from Liverpool off loading him when they did as he has been gash for a while now. He just seems to sulk his way through games now.

Villa imo is the best striker in the world at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

For every one of the 10 seasons he has been playing senior football he has scored at least 20 goals each season, he has been one of the best strikers in world football for a long time.

Also won me 400 quid for Euro 2008 so i'll never forget him for that either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Super striker being passed to by the world's greatest creative players in every game for club and country?
    Huge success! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Galvasean wrote: »
    Super striker being passed to by the world's greatest creative players in every game for club and country?
    Huge success! :D

He didn't have it like that when he was banging goals in for fun at Sporting, or at a mid-table Zaragoza.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Or Valencia for that matter, where he looked like a better striker than he does now. He has been asked to play differently for Barca though, to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Its also worth noting that with the business end of the season still to play, Villa has already equalled Ibrahimovic's stats for his season at Barca (Villa 21 goals, 9 assists, Ibra 20 goals, 10 assists), this despite Ibra being very much the central striker for Barca, whereas in the case of Villa he has spent a lot of his time moving wide to accomodate Messi plying through the middle and being the focal point of their play. If you discount Messi and Ronaldo who are arguably strikers too, he's easily the best striker in the world IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Hopefully now that he has surpassed Raul's record he'll become a bit more focused and start banging in a s**t load of goals for Spain. Have a feeling that this could have been weighing on his mind a bit. Now if Torres could just find his form again we would be sorted for Euro 2012.

Advertisement