Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing Leaving Cert Maths exam at the end of 5th year

• 25-03-2011 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28 Leaving Cert 2013

In my school, it is becoming very popular that people sit their Leaving cert exam in maths at the end of 5th year, as higher level maths takes up a lot of time, so they can work on their other subjects, it only counts as an a entry enquriment, not as points.:)

Has anyone elso heard about anything like this:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭ciara95

Never heard of that. Its a good idea in theory, but would it not be very hard to cover the whole course and practice papers in one year? Or do they just go in with the intention of passing the exam, getting it out of the way, and not counting it for points?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

No way that the full course could be covered properly in a year IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭gruffler91

Is that even possible?? I always thought the SEC/ DES had a ruling stating that 1st time LC students were required to have followed a course of 2 years before doing any LC exams.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Crazy.
    Whatever about a teacher giving you the paper in September as an exercise, to end up paying a repeat fee for what is actually your first proper sitting of the LC is mad.

School Based Candidates
    Leaving Certificate (Established and LCVP) €109
    Repeat Leaving Certificate €284

You must be made of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Leaving Cert 2013

If you start in 4th year and get grinds it can be done and it would count as 2years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

spurious wrote: »
    Crazy.
    Whatever about a teacher giving you the paper in September as an exercise, to end up paying a repeat fee for what is actually your first proper sitting of the LC is mad.

School Based Candidates
    Leaving Certificate (Established and LCVP) €109

You must be made of money.

Ah sure would you look at the OP's location ;)

We had 4th yr, but our course still spilled over into 6th yr because of those skipping t.y and we had to revise for them. So I guess it is possible, just extremely tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Never heard of that before. It just doesn't make sense - money wise or on amount of course covered. I don't see how you could get the maths course done in one year unless you're teaching enough to just scrape a pass which is risky as then there'd be a big risk of failing and it's just be a complete waste of money.

I can't really see this catching on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

I have heard of this before, it's usually the requirement students feel they will find hardest to pass they do in 5th year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

I never heard anyone doing that. I can't see how you would have the whole course finished in a year :confused:

It's €284 to repeat the leaving :eek: I thought it was the same for everyone..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

I'm still not 100% sure what the idea is.

If, let's say, Maths is one of your weakest subjects, you intend to do Ordinary level, pass it in 5th year and get it out of the way for sixth year, you'd have to spend a lot of time studying for it.

Because if you found maths easy, and all you needed to do was turn up to pass the exam with feck all study outside of normal classes, why wouldn't you actually be trying to get an A in the higher level and use it for your points?

Now, if you did the same as above, but this time substitute higher level maths for ordinary level (some courses require HL maths), surely anyone who can pass HL after 5th year should be aiming for an A?

A friend of mine did this with irish, sat the ordinary paper after 5th year, passed.

• Advertisement

No way that the full course could be covered properly in a year IMO.

It can be pretty much but I have no idea what the point would be from the OP.

If you're good enough to do it then surely you'd use it for points as well and take the time as necessary

Advertisement