Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lotsa (motorbike) questions!?

• 25-03-2011 11:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi,
    I am 18 years old and I am hoping to obtain a licence. I was hoping you could answer a few questions I have regarding the A licence.
    I am unclear as to whether I can just proceeed and do this test without already having the A1 licence? Also, as I am 18 years old, would the 125cc restriction still apply with the A licence? What is the maximum power of a bike I could ride with the A licence? Once I get some experience on the roads, I was hoping to some day do a trip across Europe. Are there any regulations with regard to this - for instance would I have to have my licence for so many years before I could do this?
    Many thanks for your help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Do the bike theory test and apply for the A category licence. You'll then have to undertake compulsory training (Think of this as an investment in your own safety and it'll be easier to stomach the cost).

Your licence is restricted to 33bhp until two years after you get your full licence. Realistically at 18 you won't be able to insure anything near this limit anyways so get the test done as soon as possible. You need to hold the provisional for at least six months before you can do the test for a full licence.

Once you have a full licence you can ride outside Ireland, however with only 33bhp under you it mightn't be too comfortable. Best to leave it on the 'long-term plan' list.

Good luck and enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 NutHuger

Thanks for the help. Would it be possible to mount a sidecar to a 33bhp bike? Would it be powerful enough to take the weight of a sidecar, another passenger and luggage?! :confused:
    Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Humans eh!

NutHuger wrote: »
    Thanks for the help. Would it be possible to mount a sidecar to a 33bhp bike? Would it be powerful enough to take the weight of a sidecar, another passenger and luggage?! :confused:
    Thanks again

Dear Confused
    Yes of course.
    Down hill,
    On the hard shoulder
    With the wind at your back
    Sloooowwwwly.

Your passenger may have to do a bobsleigh start run and jump in though.
    Coooool Runnings! :pac:

Also any idea how much insurance would be (for an 18 year old, unexperienced driver :rolleyes: ) for a 2 month period?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Also any idea how much insurance would be (for an 18 year old, unexperienced driver :rolleyes: ) for a 2 month period?

You can't get insurance for two months, but try quinn direct for a quote: http://www.quinn-direct.com/ireland/motorcycle/

• Advertisement

I got a quote off for a 1 year of coverage from quinn for a 125cc suzuki and it was around €900 for comprehensive. Should that not be alot more? I was thinking it'd be so much more???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I got a quote off for a 1 year of coverage from quinn for a 125cc suzuki and it was around €900 for comprehensive. Should that not be alot more? I was thinking it'd be so much more???
    Insurance is getting steadily cheaper. You'll find most of us on here spent a fair bit more on our first insurance. Mine was nearly 2000 TPO on a 50cc moped at 16. If It'd been five years earlier it could have been twice that.

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Insurance is getting steadily cheaper. You'll find most of us on here spent a fair bit more on our first insurance. Mine was nearly 2000 TPO on a 50cc moped at 16. If It'd been five years earlier it could have been twice that.

That crazy. I know a few guys my age trying to get insurance for a car they couldnt get anything under 2000.

would any one know how much it'd be for a FR bike mabey a 500cc??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

would any one know how much it'd be for a FR bike mabey a 500cc??
    Nobody will be able to tell you for sure. You'll have to ring around the various options. Quinn, Adelaide, Aon, Carole Nash.

Probably wouldnt bother with Carole Nash until you're at least 25 though. Just from personal experience with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

at 18, it'll be hard to get insured on the 125, never mind a FR 500cc imo :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement