Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pounds vs. Rescue shelters

• 26-03-2011 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

Whats everyone opinions on each of these? If you get a dog from a pound, you're saving it from being pts (so basically saving its life) but if you get one from a rescue, not only are you supporting an animal rescue, but giving them space to take in more dogs.

So what does everyone think? Where would they rescue a dog from? I know it can be an unusual topic, a rescue dog is a rescue dog but I'm just wondering. I don't want to start a big debate ect. but just looking for opinions....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

From my experience some rescue centres take dogs from pounds for re-homing if and when they have the space to do so. However, hundreds of dogs never get that chance. So, I suppose if you really want to save a dogs life, the pound is the place to go. I would find it very difficult though to leave all the other dogs behind:(
    Both my dogs are resuce dogs - one from a rescue centre and the other one had been taken by a centre the night before I got him and had been due to be pts that day. We call him our hero as he escaped from death row!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

the main difference id say between the pound and a rescue center is, apart from rescue dogs in a safer enviroment, is with rescue dogs most will be already vac, spayed. also they will have a better knoweledge of the dogs temperment. which i imagine is very important with a lot of people if they have kids, other pets etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭SophieSakura

If you go to a rescue, then you're giving them a donation too (well a bigger donation than the pound) so it's helping them out more that way. And they are neutering all their animals which is really important, because people could get dogs from the pound but then let them have pups too.

But I think either way is good, you're still saving a life and helping a dog :)

Just be careful if you bring one home from the pound, quarantine it from your dogs for a couple of weeks, get it all it's vaccinations, spot ons and worming, neutered and a health check :)

Advertisement