Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Bloody Viewing log

• 26-03-2011 12:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭

I've recently decided to try and get through my 'To watch' pile which at the moment is ridiculous...also trying to clear some movies off the Sky+ box.

Piranha(95) A movie I didn't even know existed until I read the synopsis on the Horror Channel.A very young Milas Kunis stars in this along with the bloke from The greatest american hero and 'the one from baywatch with no tits(my wife's words, not mine).
    Quite enjoyed this as crazy monster fish movies go. Story is quite thin but the acting is pretty decent for a Roger Corman production. FX are ok(read they were borrowed from the original but who cares, its affective).
    I'd give it a 5/10 as it kept me interested and also gave me a few laughs

Mega Piranha A movie I wish never existed. Absolute tripe from start to finish. Actors all got trained by the Rock I reckon and Tiffany should stick to singing, oh wait maybe stick to being retired from singing. Apart from the crap story and acting the biggest problem with this is the outrageously bad CGI. They didn't even bother to make a few rubber piranha and let them float, they CGI'd crap looking dead fish floating. It's not even funny enough to make it 'so bad it's good'.
    I'd rate this 1/10 the 1 is for some boobs at the beginning and one decent flare gun death.

Live Feed I've seen a few Plotdigger movies and been very impressed with what they achieve on a zero budget(especially the FX). This was ok. FX are great and real nasty(surprised to see this actually got released here uncut) but I could see why it would be hated by the bog standard horror fan. Acting is quite weak in this and it looks cheap...but to be fair to Ryan Nicholson he doesn't pretend to be making anything other than a gorefest so as this it rates quite high!! Some very gory deaths throughout.
    5/10 for some nasty FX, plenty of nudity too. Some of the acting is annoying and the characters are loathesome....all of them, I wanted them all to die!

Cabin Fever 2. Now we are talking!!! This is a disgusting movie, plain and simple. The characters are assholes and plot is poo but I enjoyed this more than Roth's original as it is an absolute blast. Reminded me of Braindead for the over the top gore and almost every scene is drenched in vomit, blood and pus. The scene where the janitor 'spices up' the punch bowl stayed with me through the rest of the movie and made me feel ill. Also this movie has real FX which has to be applauded!!
    8/10 Leave brain at the door,get beer and popcorn but just stay away from the punch for the love of god

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭mbv

Octopus Ok so I am a sucker(no pun intended) for giant sea creature movies. This effort is a half decent movie in that the first half of it is watchable and the rest is ridiculous. The FX are all CGI with various levels of success. In the first half the octopus attacks a submarine and the FX are not bad at all it's when it comes out of the water and attacks the liner that it goes downhill very quickly.
    3/10 I've seen worse(Mega Piranha has really lowered the bar in the cheapo monster movie catagory)

Octopus 2 The eagerly awaited sequel is a more enjoyable feature altogether. Not because it's on a par with Jurassic Park but in that it's so bad it's good.
    This time the Octopus is in New York(Bulgaria really) and is a serial killer. Yes it doesn't eat it's victims, just kills them and leaves the bodies lying around. Nobody believes hero cop guy which is strange because if I was chief of police and a cop showed me some pictures of an Octopus taken from the internet I would believe him too.
    Instead they arrest a hobo who's name is Mad Dog but hero cop keeps insisting Mad dog wouldn't kill anybody, bad choice of name though.
    Positives on this are...it's hilarious, the cliche's, the serial killer Octopus with the luminous eye. The FX are mostly real in this, I have to applaud them for actually making an effort with the rubber monster no matter how crap it looked, they tried.
    5/10 Unintentionally funny above par cheapo monster movie

Trick r Treat This is like a modern day Creephow and a damn fine one too. All the stories are set in the same area on Halloween. There's a kid killing crazy man, a group of hot n creepy chicks out to party, a gang of kids planning a cruel prank and a grumpy scrooge aul fella being terrorised.
    All the stories are equally good with no fillers to be seen(unlike some of the creephow movies). There is decent blood and gore and some very creepy scenes. Well shot and acted it's nice to see a polished horror without the bull.
    8/10 Up there with the best of 'movies to watch on Halloween'

Spiral Co directed by Adam Green and Joel Moore this is about as far away from Hatchet as you can get. Its a tense 'did he or didn't he' movie about a recluse telemarketer/artist who befriends a girl at work and makes her his new 'project'.
    I've been impressed with Greens movies to date, Hatchet being a fantastic slasher, Frozen a tense survival movie and now this which is completely different again. The acting is great, the movie looks great. The dialogue is very well written and really sucks you in while giving you little pieces of the jigsaw as to what is making Moore's character tick.
    8/10 Very enjoyable even on repeated viewings

Warlock Oh dear!!!! I remember seeing this when it was released and thinking it was great! After seeing it again I enjoyed this as a comedy. Its hilarious in a so bad it's good way.
    Plot is... Julian Sands is an evil Warlock who can fly and see's magical things thanks to a couple of eyes he carries around. Richard E Grant is a highlander type warrior who armed with a weather vane is out to stop him. In the middle is Lori(footloose)Singer a chick with pages of an ancient satantic bible stuck in her table.
    There is so much to laugh at...the heroes boarding a plane with a weather vane without hassle, the Warlock's toe and hand cuffed together leading to him hopping away, the story and dialogue. There's just too much!!!!
    FX are ok and again quite funny but have aged ok.
    5/10 Because it is just so much stupid fun

Bone Sickness Cheapo zombie movie from Morbid Vision Films from 2004. This is the story of a woman caring for her terminally ill husband while her friend digs up bodies and uses the bones to help cure him. What follows is a zombie invasion.
    I like indie horror movies. I can get past the bad acting and dialogue and the shot on video look. There's no point going into one of these movies expecting a James Cameron CGI epic so what is there to enjoy? Gore my friends and plenty of it. Some if it is pretty nasty and maybe the FX don't come across very well as the camera dwells too long enough to see every detail.
    I enjoyed this as I'm a fan of this kinda filmmaking. The zombies look great in this too, they actually look like zombies not just people with a bit of ready brek lashed onto their face.
    6/10 For the zombies and gore.

The Beyond One of the best Fulci movies(although City of the living dead just shades it for me) and one of the goriest. Some fantastic deaths and the usual Fulci eye violence. Very creepy in parts and dripping in atmosphere.
    The one complaint I have about this is when David Warbeck is shooting the zombies at the end he continually shoots them in the body even though the headshot has taken down a few of the 'dead'....everytime I watch this it drives me mental!!
    9/10 Almost perfect

Hatchet 2 Quite enjoyed this but not as much as the original. It feels rushed and is more like a load of very gruesome deaths linked together by a thin plot. Characters are all pretty anonymous, even Tony Todd has about 4 lines which he continually repeats.
    Not a bad movie, I'm a sucker for gore so I was happy, but just could have been better.
    6/10

Behemoth Cheapo SyFy movie about a small town suffering from a lot of earth tremors. Turns out there is a huge Lovecraftian type monster in the mountain.
    Daft as a brush movie is 90% filler and 10% monster. Suprisingly when it appears the CGI is quite good but the monster doesn't do much except wave about a bit which is very dissapointing.
    There's a ridiculous section(about 20 mins) about two spanners(one from the x files) trying to get up a ladder into a loft, if you find yourself NOT screaming at these idiots you are probably asleep.
    3/10 Could have been good if the monster had a decent agent and got him some more screen time

InsidiousAs usual I got to watch this without reading anything about it as the hype that surrounds a movie tends to ruin it for me. Only thing I knew was that it was from the 'Saw' guys but it was about as far away from Saw as possible.

It's basically a possession/haunting movie with a couples kid left in a coma and strange stuff happens.
    I was pretty impressed with this as it had some decent tension throughout, although I find that horror that is kid related really freaky(I still have nightmares from Pet Semetary(kids death) and haven't rewatched it since it was released) so maybe the whole kids in danger got to me more than your average punter.
    There are plenty of jumpy parts in it...one part in particular with is up there with THAT scene(hospital) in the Exorcist 3 and I still can't seem to shake.

Acting is solid throughout and though tense throughout there is some ice breaking comedy thrown in with the paranormal team arriving(featuring writer Leigh Whannel).
    Minus points were that there was no gore and the main demon looked like Darth Maul.
    Plus points- Looks fantastic for a low budget movie, plenty of jumps and basically a damn good haunted house/kid movie.

8/10 Almost a 7 but as it made me feel so uncomfortable it got an extra point for freaking me out a few times

The Exorcist
    One of the few perfect horror movies IMO. Great acting, looks amazing, outstanding CGI free FX, creepy as fook.
    10/10

• Advertisement

Blood SnowAnother movie to avoid on the horror channel. Story is actually quite lame as the movie never does anything with it. It's about some crazy lunatic with an axe(that doesn't do anything in the movie)from 1846 or something who still haunts a mountain, or a cabin built on the mountain. 2 couples and a 'will they won't they ride' couple go up for a few days and well not much else.

This is quite annoying as it's not a badly made movie, some of the dialogue is a bit naff but much better than some cheapo SyFy type flicks. There are even a few decent jumpy bits but it leads nowhere. There is a little bit of tension but frustratingly it all ends like a bad BJ. There's no follow up on the crazy axe man. I wanted some crazy axe man blood fest and all I got was
    a couple of blood packs explode but not much else in the FX department.

2/10 For the few jumps and the fantastic lady lumps on the one chick that decides to get naked..and no it's not Tiffany who 'stars' in this.

Africa AddioFound this a real struggle to get through due to the horrific animal violence. Now I am not usually of the 'tree hugger' opinion when it comes to animal cruelty on screen but this was excessive and horrible.
    It's a powerful movie which gets it's point across but FFS was there any need to show what they did.
    Some of over exaggerated english accents which were obviously over dubbed to emphasise the evil of the brits were a bit tasteless too. We get the message, we know how wrong colonialism is and I don't even know if that is a word.No need to turn it into Carry on let's take over your country
    1/10 as I couldn't wait for it to end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

mbv wrote: »
    Blood SnowAnother movie to avoid on the horror channel. Story is actually quite lame as the movie never does anything with it. It's about some crazy lunatic with an axe(that doesn't do anything in the movie)from 1846 or something who still haunts a mountain, or a cabin built on the mountain. 2 couples and a 'will they won't they ride' couple go up for a few days and well not much else.

This is quite annoying as it's not a badly made movie, some of the dialogue is a bit naff but much better than some cheapo SyFy type flicks. There are even a few decent jumpy bits but it leads nowhere. There is a little bit of tension but frustratingly it all ends like a bad BJ. There's no follow up on the crazy axe man. I wanted some crazy axe man blood fest and all I got was
    a couple of blood packs explode but not much else in the FX department.

2/10 For the few jumps and the fantastic lady lumps on the one chick that decides to get naked..and no it's not Tiffany who 'stars' in this.

Africa AddioFound this a real struggle to get through due to the horrific animal violence. Now I am not usually of the 'tree hugger' opinion when it comes to animal cruelty on screen but this was excessive and horrible.
    It's a powerful movie which gets it's point across but FFS was there any need to show what they did.
    Some of over exaggerated english accents which were obviously over dubbed to emphasise the evil of the brits were a bit tasteless too. We get the message, we know how wrong colonialism is and I don't even know if that is a word.No need to turn it into Carry on let's take over your country
    1/10 as I couldn't wait for it to end

I agree africa Addio is harsh to watch. It's one of the more sickening movies I've seen. Have you ever seen "Goodbye Uncle Tom"? Another mondo type film about the slave trade. Very interesting movie, highly recommended.

SteoL wrote: »
    I agree africa Addio is harsh to watch. It's one of the more sickening movies I've seen. Have you ever seen "Goodbye Uncle Tom"? Another mondo type film about the slave trade. Very interesting movie, highly recommended.

I bought a boxset with uncut editions of Mondo Cane 1&2 and Africa Addio out of curiosity as I had never seen any Mondo movies. Not really my cup of tea but hey if I see an affordable edition of that one I may pick it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

mbv wrote: »
    I bought a boxset with uncut editions of Mondo Cane 1&2 and Africa Addio out of curiosity as I had never seen any Mondo movies. Not really my cup of tea but hey if I see an affordable edition of that one I may pick it up.

Where'd ye get the set man and is it English? I picked up a "Shockumentary" boxset in Amsterdam a few years ago for €5 or something. Could be the same one. Africa Addio on that is also Cut I believe so can't imagine what the full version would be like.

SteoL wrote: »
    Where'd ye get the set man and is it English? I picked up a "Shockumentary" boxset in Amsterdam a few years ago for €5 or something. Could be the same one. Africa Addio on that is also Cut I believe so can't imagine what the full version would be like.

Same one!!!! Thought it was uncut due to the uncut and uncensored note plastered on it, lying Dutch feckers. Ah well glad it's cut in that case! Thanks for letting me know

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

I picked up this boxset a few years ago.All the movies fully uncut.Thats how I roll.
    :cool:

:pac:

I havnt watched Africa Addio as yet but have watched Mondo Cane 1+2 and Goodbye Uncle Tom.

Morally objectionable to say the least.

I picked up this boxset a few years ago.All the movies fully uncut.Thats how I roll.
    :cool:

:pac:

I havnt watched Africa Addio as yet but have watched Mondo Cane 1+2 and Goodbye Uncle Tom.

Morally objectionable to say the least.

Very nice sir...Blue Underground really do some great releases don't they

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

They do indeed however I was browsing their site last night and they dont have that great a selection of titles.

Dracula 1972AD
    This has been sitting in the pile for ages, thought it was going to be muck but it kinda surprised me.
    It's daft as a brush, crazy maaan resurrects Dracula in satanic ritual and the bodies start to pile up. It's fairly solid as hammer flicks go with Cushing and Lee in top form. Caroline Munro makes an all too brief appearance too.
    Strangest thing is Cushings character constantly gropes his granddaughters diddies at any opportunity...oh you're having a nightmare, let me feel your boobs etc. Bad man.
    Pretty solid Dracula flick with plenty of 70's campiness
    6/10

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

Nice to see you over there on Cult Movie Fourms now, mbv...

:)

Advertisement