Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

class attendence??

Options
  • 26-03-2011 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Hi im a first year business student.
    Our economics lecturer says if we dont go to at least 14 lectures in the semester then we will fail the module...however he never takes attendence and there like 3 or 4 hundred people doing the module.. no one takes it seriously because how could he possibly no who is attending and who is not, but he keeps sending us e-mails about the numbers attending each lecture.
    Is it possible that he could no who is attending and who is not??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

I don't see how, with the amount of people in a lecture, it would be very difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

I think hes just getting someone to count it from the glass box where that technician fella stays at the back of the hall over looking it, id say one of the TAs counts and he lets on he knows whos going and who isnt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

He counts the amount there by making everyone sit in the front section of the hall. He knows how many seats there are and then just counts how many seats are empty and add on one or two who come in late and sit in the back section. He isn't able to tell which students are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I think you may have mistaken tutorial for lecture. Tutorial attendance is easier to track.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

i reckon 99er is right..i had that module last yr and it was tutorial attendance made up a nice portion of the marks

• Advertisement

ninty9er wrote: »
    I think you may have mistaken tutorial for lecture. Tutorial attendance is easier to track.
    freyners wrote: »
    i reckon 99er is right..i had that module last yr and it was tutorial attendance made up a nice portion of the marks

No I'm also in the module. It's lecture attendance, but there's 5% going on tutorial attendance and doing the work for the tutorials.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

yesno1234 wrote: »
    No I'm also in the module. It's lecture attendance, but there's 5% going on tutorial attendance and doing the work for the tutorials.

dont know how they are going to hold people to that...its got to be physicallly impossible to count a class with near 400 people in it and mark off whos not there....our maths lecturer is doing attendance (not for marks) and its a disaster, too many people there for it to be dont quick enough...although harry styles, wagner and glenda gilson all have great attendance according to the sheets

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

Anybody know how much attendance will get you for academic Literacies, would you get any marks for going to most of them?

Skyrim wrote: »
    Anybody know how much attendance will get you for academic Literacies, would you get any marks for going to most of them?

Check the module outline or the first slides for the module on sulis. Should say it somewhere there if there's some going.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

did ye not hear about the new facial recognition system in the concert hall? scans all the faces in the room :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

garv123 wrote: »
    did ye not hear about the new facial recognition system in the concert hall? scans all the faces in the room :rolleyes::rolleyes:

And the undercover guards to so I hear from friend of mine in business :pac:

Honestly that man must think this is a creche

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

garv123 wrote: »

I love when he tells us this, I find it quite amusing haha

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭djnr8

yesno1234 wrote: »
    Check the module outline or the first slides for the module on sulis. Should say it somewhere there if there's some going.

When I did Ac Lit last year, it was just to keep an eye on who was going. No marks awarded, just attendance was so poor they started taking names to try improve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Fraher91

I hated every moment of academic literacies and it was absolutely useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭djnr8

Fraher91 wrote: »
    I hated every moment of academic literacies and it was absolutely useless.

+1

to an extent, I think it should be optional, or a support group. 3 hours a week for something that could be done in half an hour. People who may struggle with their writing no doubt find it beneficial, but in my opinion, not sufficient to warrant an entire module. I remember being told about the benefits of variously coloured highlighters in 1st year

Advertisement