Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit card currency conversion

Options
  • 26-03-2011 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭

Need a little help on this,

I currently have an AIB credit card and use it quite extensively to pay for large amounts of work to be done in the US.

Say something costs $1000 in US dollars, am I then charged 710 euro (open market rate) or does AIB use their own currency conversion rate. I am unsure what rules apply when dealing with credit cards and currency.

Thanks for the help

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

AIB will use their own rate of the day whenever you use your card to pay in a foreign currency.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

Toots* wrote: »
    AIB will use their own rate of the day whenever you use your card to pay in a foreign currency.

I have quite a lot of money in a american trading account. However with the weakness of the dollar to the euro at the moment, I have no real intention of moving it to my Irish account anytime soon.

While I could leave it sitting in the american trading account as cash, I feel it might be more benifical to open one of these:

http://www.offshore.barclays.com/international-banking/

This would allow me to buy things in america without the conversion rate.

Would you have any recommendations or opinions on this??

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Need a little help on this,

I currently have an AIB credit card and use it quite extensively to pay for large amounts of work to be done in the US.

Say something costs $1000 in US dollars, am I then charged 710 euro (open market rate) or does AIB use their own currency conversion rate. I am unsure what rules apply when dealing with credit cards and currency.

Thanks for the help

Interbank rate plus about 1.5%

Advertisement