Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good laptop deals

• 26-03-2011 8:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭

Ok, i think my laptop gave up on me. Its been happening for years. The battery doesnt work, 1 out of 4 usbs work, various letters not working. I used to let it spell check pick up on the error and change it but nots not working. Laptop crashed 3 times since last september where i get the blue screen of death, just now was the 3rd and final time. Iv spent too much on repairing it the last time it crashed. Its so frustrating. Iv got my college work saved on a memory stick so not too bad. But i still have stuff on it. Im in tears.
    Anyway enough of a rant. Does anyone know if any shops in cork are doing good deals? Or pc world, harvey norman, currys, the bigger shops? By good deals i mean laptop + microsoft word,excel + antivirus for €500?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

In relation to antivirus, theres no need to buy one. Microsoft security Essentials is excellent and is free:
    http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
    And as a student you can get microsoft office Professional for very cheap from here:
    http://www.software4students.ie/Default.aspx

Take a look at www.dell.ie for a laptop. If you find any you like post the specs back and we can give you an idea if it's good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

You can get a good laptop for fairly cheap these days but it always pays to shop around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭MASTER...of the bra

You can still get stuff off your laptop even if you can't turn it on, start a new thread if you can't.

Don't buy Anti-virus, the above is fine.

Don't buy Microsoft office either, use Open Office (free) read the reviews in the link and try it at least before you buy Microsoft. The above link is fine if you do decide to buy Microsoft office.

Is online for a Laptop not an option?

You didn't say what you want to do with laptop, anyway....
    Argos €400
    Argos €450
    Argos €480 Good one.
    Harvey Norman €497 i3, 4GB RAM, but no HDMI port. You can haggle here, look for a laptop with the i3 and the 4GB RAM with the port. Keep those tears flowing..:) maybe even a graphics card thrown in for €500;) no harm in trying.
    Argos €500 comes with low end graphics card.
    Argos €530 Best one.

Read the reviews with these. Nothing of note on PC World site but look at the spec of the ones above and try them anyway.

An i3, 3 or 4GB RAM, HDMI port at least 2 USB ports and maybe the graphics card (don't know if you need it) will have a good life span.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

I got a Dell inspiron 15R. The blue one. Absolutely delighted with it. Very expensive day yesterday but i needed a new one for a while anyway. Should have bought a new one years ago.

Is there a way to get things from the old laptop without paying someone to do it as they probably charge an arm and a leg for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

If the old laptop runs at all, you should be able to connect both to a network (i.e. a broadband router, not a dongle), share a folder on old laptop, and connect it as a network drive on the new one. Then copy files you want; its probably not practical to try and copy installed programs from old to new though.

If the old one doesn't run, you can remove the hard disk from it and get an enclosure to use it as an external drive on the new laptop.

Ask again if you need more details, or look at the many other threads here, or google !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭MASTER...of the bra

Advertisement