Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you miss?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

K.Flyer wrote: »
    During school holidays going out to play and wandering for hours without having a care in the world and your parents not worried sick about where you were.
    We played outside because, we had no computers, no games consoles, no electronic gadgets and we had fun with our friends.
    Mastering the the art of 3 of us on 1 bike.
    Playing hide and seek or cops n robbers in derelict buildings.
    Making Real Friends, not this Facebook S**te.
    Summers always seemed sunnier.
    Using Doc leaves to take the pain of the stingers away.
    Blowing jinny joes in the wind to see how far they would travel.
    Borrowing an apple or three from an orchard.;)
    Being chased from same orchard by the priest.
    ESB power cuts during the foggy or was it smoggy evenings.
    The delivery men, The Milkman, The Veg Man, The Baker, The Coalman.
    My first wage packet had real cash in it.
    The old RA open back buses.
    Tapping phones to make a free call.
    10p for a bag of chips. (petrol was 80p a gallon then)
    Always wishing your life away to be able to do what the older ones could do.
    Now wishing you could go back and do it all over again.:rolleyes:
    You addressed your friends parents as Mr or Mrs ....
    You had respect and looked after your elders.
    Neighbours looked out for each other.
    i sure do rember all that different times simpler times id love to go back to it all again funny how we wished to be grown up and do adult stuff now we want to go back still it's great to have the memories

tbh wrote: »
    I'm 1974, but I've always been old for my age:)
    sure your still young wish i was your age again

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I just turned 19 and already want to go back to the 90's :(

Asiaprod wrote: »
    Golly Bars, and Smith crisps with the little blue bags of salt in them.
    Acid drops and Clove drops by the penny.
    Dandy, Beano and 200AD. You could read comics in those days.
    Holding Barbie dolls to ransom.
    Building and crashing go carts.
    Lamp Ball
    Penny in the Maul
    PLaying Poker behind the Church.
    Back seats in the Grafton Street Cinema (most comfortable seats in town).
    The Dandelion Market on a Saturday
    Collecting Oulwans' turf on a Saturday for 2 shilling a load
    and stealing apples from orchards on the NCR, D7 (blessed apples they were and owning up in confession, I loved that bit;))
    i rember U2 busking outside the dandelion market long time ago now i often bought ol junk from the stalls in there toooo and the grafton cinema i rember it well

Rubecula wrote: »
    Anyone remember Parma Violets? and Spangles?
    yep i sure do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Apparently Swizzles make up buckets of mixed sweets for things like Halloween. I was informed by one of the kids here that they include Parma Violets, Love Hearts, Swizzells, and Refreshers. (Plus a few other old time favourites)

You can still get Sherbert Fountains and Sherbert Dib Dabs if you want them too.

I think come Halloween this year I may just kill myself on sugar.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Alice1

What about "click clacks" or maybe "clackers"? Two hard plastic balls on a string that you shook from side to side?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

My baby sister had them Alice. I always thought they looked vaguely phallic... Warped mind even back then I suppose.:pac:

Over the weekend I realised there is something I really do miss. Cars that you can fix with a toolkit at home!!!! I broke down and it needed a computer to diagnose what was wrong........AAARRRGGGHHH!!!:mad:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

One very very fond memory I have and miss hugely..

Working in my grandfathers sweet shop with my bro and my cousins.

It was one of those old style shops where everything was behind the high counter and they had a big glass case at one end full of sweets, there were big jars of loose sweets too. Meat and cheese was cut to order using a big old style slicer from big lumps of the stuff, ham, cheddar cheese, corned beef and luncheon.. nyom nyom.. :p

All customers had to be served, everything was added up with us writing prices on brown paper bags, the price of everything was written down and calculated using nothing only our brains and a pen.. then everything was put into the same bag, so it acted like a receipt.

Other times it was written in the "book", regulars had an account that they paid off when they got their wages on a Friday..

Going to the Cash n'Carry every Sat morning to get the stock for the week, all lumped into the back of his estate car and then unloaded into the shop. Once that was done, a break was had and then we started unpacking it all and started loading the shelves.

Took a good few hours, usually in there about 9-10am, finished around 5pm.. once all done, I was given a big paper bag loaded with sweets.. My mother used to always be giving out to him for feeding me such junk :D

If any of his friends were in, we had to stand there and read the newspaper headline and the main articles out loud, because having the confidence and being able to speak in public was very important.. :)

That and being the "official taster" for the shop, so all new sweets were sent out to our house for us to assess.. :p

Ahh I miss that so much.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

EKR7635lal10681.jpg
    :(

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
Advertisement