Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shoreline - Where does the money go.....

Options
  • 26-03-2011 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

So i recently joined shoreline to get fit after a knee injury and it got me wondering.

I remember fundraising starting for a public swimming pool in 03/04 with a totalometer in the window of the old butchers on greystones main street. It was updated regularly until the butchers closed down. If remember correctly nearly 300k was raised from the greystones community.

On top of that there was money granted National Development Plan aswell, courtesy from FF and Dick Roche.The center was officially opened sometime in 08.

While i appreciate that running the center is expensive, I would say that being a member itself is quit pricey. The fact that its meant to be a community center, an amenity to the locality it should be more reasonable.

So once the running costs are paid for where does the excess go? They dont pay rent(the biggest cost), ok they have to pay staff, utilities etc., but since so much local money was ploughed into it what happens to the profit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Check the archives of the forum. The fundraising raised 500K but the cost of building the thing was 5 or 10 million. All of the above was used to build it.

It doesn't get any public funds for the running of the place. It is set up as a limited company but it's not profit-making. THe owners are some kind of public trustees. The money they bring in is used to pay for the staff, supplies, maintenance, insurance, etc. required to run the place. I doubt there is any profit but if there is, it must get reinvested in the facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

And at about a tenner a week it's pretty good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

... it must get reinvested in the facility.

Having spoken to the manager when it opened first, he mentioned it was a not for profit organisation, and yes, the excess gets reinvested into facilities.

But as it is, current econmic climate etc, I would image, and this is IMO, that any excess in monies are set against any losses in Bray or the Recreation Centre (pure speculation of course).

If there was any excess year on year, you should see a reduction in membership or facilities renting costs.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

astrofluff wrote: »
    But as it is, current econmic climate etc, I would image, and this is IMO, that any excess in monies are set against any losses in Bray or the Recreation Centre (pure speculation of course).

Although they are managed by the same overall manager, the Bray and Greystones centres have separate legal set-ups, so my guess would be that their finances are therefore separate.

But the Greystones sports centre is under the same structure as the community centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭krieture

Cheers for clearing that up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

being someone that uses the centre regularly i know that there are huge heating costs also involved and maintenance for air conditioning in the gym etc. So I suppose a good bit of money needed is for the general up keep of the centre too

Advertisement