Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bikes station in Smithfield

Options
  • 26-03-2011 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭

Can anyone explain to me why it was necessary to close the Dublin Bikes station at the south end of Smithfield? The regeneration works are taking place nearby, but I can't see how keeping the station open would interfere with them. They're fenced off and there's enough room for cyclists to come and go on the bikes.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

You need to go ask. I found the authorities doing things like this without much thought and only when a few people actually got on to them about them, did they reverse some daft decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Unrelated, but aren't they expanding the Smithfield programme? I thought I heard they're doubling the amount of bikes there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wench

Yep, there is now another station in Smithfield, at the northern end of the plaza.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭carlaboi

The station near the luas stop will be reinstated after the renovation works are complete.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

carlaboi wrote: »
    The station near the luas stop will be reinstated after the renovation works are complete.

That's missing the OP's point:

There seems to be no need to have closed the station off in the first place, or at least not yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Perhaps they've had to dig up power lines that power the bike station?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Perhaps they've had to dig up power lines that power the bike station?

The station on the lower end of the square has been dug up now. From what I've seen it looks like they're undertaking some major drainage works during the relaying of the square. That's probably why, as there are some drains along that side.

I've seen a bunch of people complain about the work going on but speaking as a resident (albeit a "blow-in") of the area I think it's well overdue. The surface of the square was in bits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Dord wrote: »
    I've seen a bunch of people complain about the work going on but speaking as a resident (albeit a "blow-in") of the area I think it's well overdue. The surface of the square was in bits.

People complain that the plaza isn't developed but they only want the development work to take place when they're out of the country on holidays.

Yup. Sounds about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Dord wrote: »
    The station on the lower end of the square has been dug up now. From what I've seen it looks like they're undertaking some major drainage works during the relaying of the square. That's probably why, as there are some drains along that side.

Just to clarify, I've no objection to it being dug up and any works done that needed to be done. But they'd closed it for weeks before they even started doing the works. I'm not sure why that was necessary.

Hopefully it'll be finished soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

I seen this morning that they moved where all the ducts (tubes for the wires) for the stands about 5-10 metres towards the middle of the square.

I don't see them being operational again for a decent time

• Advertisement
Advertisement