Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Protest March

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭mlumley

ilovesleep wrote: »
    Much like our own country except here people will lie down and take it all. Fair play to them out protesting. They are willing to stand up and be heard. Ireland has a bunch of lazy asses.

Don't you bet on it mate, just waite till Guinness goes up in price, then they will be out in thousunds..... to drink it. I have never seen a nation roll over like the Irish, so much for the tag of fighting Irish!

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭mlumley

Humans eh! wrote: »
    Yes, logic has nothing to do with it, the problem lies in the fact that people are waking up to the fact that motivations for Government actions are usually done for reasons other than political idealism or concern for human rights. I don't think that they are opposed to Gadaffi's toppling, but the reasons behind it.

Its simply that people don't have faith in the political system anymore. All they see is their legitimately elected government seemingly acting in ways that have no apparent benefit to the greater population. It would suit the west (from an oil perspective) to have Gadaffi in power, after all he was the new darling of the west up till recently. People are cynical of their government acting on Human Rights issues because of all the issues that it ignores because big business has no interest in the area. Thats IMHO what the issue is, it is cynicism that drives these protests not logic .

I agre so much, what they are after is oil. Do you think that Robert Magahby would still be starving his country that was once discribed as the bread basket of Africa, still be in power if there was oil there?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

mlumley wrote: »
    I agre so much, what they are after is oil. Do you think that Robert Magahby would still be starving his country that was once discribed as the bread basket of Africa, still be in power if there was oil there?

How come the regimes in Iran and Venezuala have survived?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Why would anyone bother going out protesting here?

The workers are too busy trying to make sure they can still pay their mortgages.
    The Public sector would just spend the day shopping up in Newry.
    The people on social welfare know they have it good already.

Who's left to protest?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

I find the comparison of Tahir to this march quiet risible. The former was about a population standing up to a 30 year military dictatorship that used brutal oppression to remain in power whereas the latter is a group of trade unionists arguing that the elected government of several months should continue down a path of unsustainable spending towards fiscal suicide.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

mlumley wrote: »
    so much for the tag of fighting Irish!
    Good riddance to it.

Many of us who had parents that emigrated in the 50's or 60's would know that they were often seen as a people who were backward, doomed to poverty and troublesome; those in the seventies and eighties even more so, but you could probably underline the troublesome aspect.

As an emigrant of the 2010s, I'm happy to report that no such stereotyping or scurrilous classification has ever met me, nor have I given it reason to, nor have any of my contemporaries who have also found it necessary to leave Ireland. The fighting Irish tag that you refer to is one that I certainly hope is gone for good, or as Yeats put it, with O'Leary in the grave.

If we can have our own diplomatic rebellions in Strasbourg and in Brussells, then I'm all for it. This country has wasted more than its fair share of youth and effort on screaming and brute force for it to have come to nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The ****wits in Trafalgar Square need a good seeing to. A hideous mix of Trustafarians and skangers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭20Cent

Ireland needs some mass protests like this fair play to them in London keep up the fight the concentration of wealth has gone too far its self defense at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭davoxx

they are being oppressed send in the UN ... :pac:

But the problem is that monday they have to go back to work/college ... so their cause will lose its momentum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Denerick wrote: »
    At the moment the German taxpayer is paying the wages of public sector workers here in Ireland.

Not really, it's not as if they are just giving us the money. It's a loan for which they are charging a fairly hefty interest rate. Whether we will ultimately be able to pay back that loan is another matter, but our ability to do so is not been helped by those interest rates. German banks have a 21 billion exposure to the Irish banking system and are owed a further 65 billion by Irish businesses. So it is in Germany's own self-interest to ensure that we or our banks don't go belly up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Rubik. wrote: »
    Not really, it's not as if they are just giving us the money. It's a loan for which they are charging a fairly hefty interest rate. Whether we will ultimately be able to pay back that loan is another matter, but our ability to do so is not been helped by those interest rates. German banks have a 21 billion exposure to the Irish banking system and are owed a further 65 billion by Irish businesses. So it is in Germany's own self-interest to ensure that we or our banks don't go belly up.

To be fair to zee Germans....its at well below market value for Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭LondonIrish90

davoxx wrote: »
    they are being oppressed send in the UN ... :pac:

But the problem is that monday they have to go back to work/college ... so their cause will lose its momentum.

It was never about holding up in Parliament Square until the Queen abdicates and the government is disolved! :pac:

The protesters got their point across in a good humoured and civilized manner. It was the scumbags who turned up to smash up central london who stole the limelight, and sadly it is that which today will be remembered for.

Tax breaks and accounting techniques that move profits to tax havens should become as unacceptable as sweatshops. Boycotts and protests can achieve this. These protests are waking people up to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    Its the typical culture we now have in this country (UK) and also the ROI. People who just don't want to role their sleeves up and get on with it and fix it now. Let another generation do it.

Living on a different planet.

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Its the typical culture we now have in this country (UK) and also the ROI. People who just don't want to role their sleeves up and get on with it and fix it now. Let another generation do it.

Living on a different planet.

Who causes more problems banksters or a few protesters?

20Cent wrote: »
    Who causes more problems banksters or a few protesters?
    What can you do about the bankers now? Nothing will be done. They are bastards but a lot of them still make a lot of money for this country (UK).

Yet again, you had a huge protest and people jumped on board who wanted to riot, left the group at some point, police failed to do their job by tracking them and they caused mayhem. What do they think breaking glass windows will do?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

What can you do about the bankers now? Nothing will be done. They are bastards but a lot of them still make a lot of money for this country (UK).

Yet again, you had a huge protest and people jumped on board who wanted to riot, left the group at some point, police failed to do their job by tracking them and they caused mayhem. What do they think breaking glass windows will do?

So because nothing will be done means that no one should protest the inherent wrong in that?

Is it any wonder we are in this mess when idiocy like that prevails.

karma_ wrote: »
    So because nothing will be done means that no one should protest the inherent wrong in that?

Get real. These protests weren't about the banking crisis or anything like that. They were demanding no cuts whatsoever to the deficit. The banking crisis is on a different sphere of existence.

• Advertisement

Get real. These protests weren't about the banking crisis or anything like that. They were demanding no cuts whatsoever to the deficit. The banking crisis is on a different sphere of existence.

Get real yourself, you and your lot complain when there ARE protests about the banking crisis.

Get real yourself, you and your lot complain when there ARE protests about the banking crisis.

Irrelevant. This protest was not about the banking crisis, it was about cuts to the deficit. Which is fair enough. But don't make it out to be something it isn't.

'My lot' (Whoever that is supposed to be) don't complain about protests at all, personally I complain whenever small minorities of hooligans use these events as an excuse to go on a rampage. Plenty of examples here; Blairs book signing when Republican thugs made a mockery of our nation; the student protests when lager louts challenged the gardaí; in the UK there was the student protests (With elegant placard such as 'Tory Scum) when 'anarchists', desperate to maintain State subsidies at any cost, laid siege to Tory HQ in London; and yesterday we had more 'anarchists' desperate for the State to maintain its present size and shape in the economy and hence our lives, attacking wealthy people driving luxury cars.

Surely you can see why reasonable people roll their eyes when these lunatics are let loose on the streets.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭davoxx

... Plenty of examples here; Blairs book signing when Republican thugs made a mockery of our nation; ....

you mean war crimes blair the lair? i was proud of those guys ... he should have been arrested rather than coming here wasting the publics money (who paid for the gardai?)

and we can all agree some people are lunatics regardless of which side of the fence they are trying to start trouble, protesters and police alike.

Something tells me we are in the mess we are in because of the mentality you are showing. Spend money we don't have, make no cuts when its a must. Yeah. Great thinking. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

REMINDER...
    A few of the recent posts on this thread are getting a bit too personal. Please focus on the content of the discussion and not each other. Thanks, Black Swan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

It was never about holding up in Parliament Square until the Queen abdicates and the government is disolved! :pac:

The protesters got their point across in a good humoured and civilized manner. It was the scumbags who turned up to smash up central london who stole the limelight, and sadly it is that which today will be remembered for.

But this always happens at protests (more or less). It just takes point out of the protest and makes people like myself never want to protest so as not to end up being associated with these kind of ppl.

Something tells me we are in the mess we are in because of the mentality you are showing. Spend money we don't have, make no cuts when its a must. Yeah. Great thinking. :rolleyes:

Well Keith, I'd love it if you could explain to me why we in NI are losing a radiotherapy unit in Derry, yet see fit to give 140 million to build/renovate sports arenas? I'm all ears.

I'll listen to a sensible argument about moderate cuts no problem, but if it entails cutting front-line services when there are other alternatives then I will object of course.

As for the mess, I'm lucky in the respect I don't have a single pennys worth of debt, so nice try but back to the drawing board old chap and roll your eyes somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Well Keith, I'd love it if you could explain to me why we in NI are losing a radiotherapy unit in Derry, yet see fit to give 140 million to build/renovate sports arenas? I'm all ears.

I'll listen to a sensible argument about moderate cuts no problem, but if it entails cutting front-line services when there are other alternatives then I will object of course.

As for the mess, I'm lucky in the respect I don't have a single pennys worth of debt, so nice try but back to the drawing board old chap and roll your eyes somewhere else.

Investing in sports arenas helps make money for the state, a radiotherapy unit doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I think it is great that there are people out there voicing their concern about what the cuts mean in reality. We are in this together is the mantra that comes from the Millionaire cabinet and then we hear of all the companies who are not paying their way and will use loopholes in order that they leave the rest of us to shoulder the burden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Well Keith, I'd love it if you could explain to me why we in NI are losing a radiotherapy unit in Derry, yet see fit to give 140 million to build/renovate sports arenas?
    What sports arenas are you referring to?

Advertisement