Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hub?

Options
  • 26-03-2011 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,285 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone been to this place? Apparently you can rent your own bar for the night or something and hook up your iPod to some system and play your own music. Going to a 30th there next month. Sounds like a good idea:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yeah, good idea all right. Unusual location.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Interesting. Who mans the bar?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,285 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

FTGFOP wrote: »
    Interesting. Who mans the bar?

I don't know - I guess the barman is included? Lol! Ya it's a bit out of the way alright dudess - still at least I don't have to listen to crap music - the person who's 30 has the same taste in music as me :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

are ye talking about the hub disco in bandon

are ye talking about the hub disco in bandon

Eh no! It's in Cork City - anglesea street

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Used to be the Motor Arms in Copley St next the Market Tavern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

Whats the point? if its in an out of the wayh location are you not better off having a house party

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

It's not out of the way. It's about 5 minutes walk at most from the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

Kinda like a house party without the cleaning up?
    I'd prefer a houseparty while booze is so cheap in offlicenses!! :)

Aw... I miss The Motor Arms... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Dudess wrote: »
    Aw... I miss The Motor Arms... :(

Good spot, was it?

An old people's pub - to the point of there being an old people smell in there :pac: but there was something about the vibe in there that I loved.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Dudess wrote: »
    An old people's pub - to the point of there being an old people smell in there :pac: but there was something about the vibe in there that I loved.

Was probably the old person smell...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

leahyl wrote: »
    Anyone been to this place? Apparently you can rent your own bar for the night or something and hook up your iPod to some system and play your own music. Going to a 30th there next month. Sounds like a good idea:)

Have you found out any more info about this place. I was looking at it for a party but someplace else was sorted..Seems like a great idea but they give no info on their flyers

Milly33 wrote: »
    Have you found out any more info about this place. I was looking at it for a party but someplace else was sorted..Seems like a great idea but they give no info on their flyers

No nothing else - I actually mightn't even be able to make it now after all so i won't be able to report back!

They're in the middle of setting up a website at the mo so maybe we'll know a bit more soon.:)

http://thehubcork.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭murphdogg11

Is the Hub operating as a regular bar now or is it still rent a pub?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Is the Hub operating as a regular bar now or is it still rent a pub?
    It's a regular bar now I believe,focusing on imported beers like what the Bierhaus do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Oh I didnt know this..I was kinda boycotting the place, as i was in contact with them about holding a party there but have to say they were fairly shocking at well arranging anything or coming back to you..Seemed like it was not properly managed..

might pop in for a beer insted

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭eurokev

Its very good now,

they have howling gale and 5am saint on draft, which are fantastic. Then have another more few common ones like leffe, hoegaarden, krombacher etc on draft too.

they also have a quality selection of bottled beers. A few brewdogs, sierra nevada, o haras, stonewell among others, and also a quality scotch selection.

they dont have any common things like bud, guinness, heino

they are also very competitively priced

I would highly recommend a trip there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

I hope they do well but they should update/make a website,
    what price is the draft beer?, i have heard great things about 5am saint, didnt realise they had it on tap,
    its €5 for a 330ml bottle in the bierhaus apparently,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭The Scratcher

was in there last week and had a few chouffes. It's nice in there and the selection of craft beers is good. They even have the Brew Dog Exploding Penguin stout!! They need to change the name and re market though because there's still a lot of confusion as to what the bar is.

Edit: they also have Leffe on tap!

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭eurokev

bladebrew wrote: »
    I hope they do well but they should update/make a website,
    what price is the draft beer?, i have heard great things about 5am saint, didnt realise they had it on tap,
    its €5 for a 330ml bottle in the bierhaus apparently,

I can remember 3 prices

howling gale on draft is 4.50
    5am saint is 5.30
    stonewell 5.50

5am saint is much better on draught IMO and 5.30 is reasonably enough I think given the percentage and quality.

I was only in the brewdog bar in edinburgh recently, and it roughly converts to the same price here, and the standard is on a par

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

This bar now has my interest. Great to see another bar selling craft/imported beer and not the usual old stuff. Seems to be a big increase in interest in craft beer recently in Cork with the new place in the Maradyke, Market Lane brewing their own beer and the Fran Well bottle their own stuff. Not to mention the likes of Abbott's Ale House and the Bierhaus/Bierhalle.

Must make an excuse to check out The Hub over the weekend so.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Cartuja

FTGFOP wrote: »
    Good spot, was it?

Elma and Marie ran a great pub.
    The pint was always excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Cartuja wrote: »
    Elma and Marie ran a great pub.
    The pint was always excellent.

It's hardly changed! It looks exactly like the Motor Arms, with different staff behind the counter. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭murphdogg11

I was in there over the Christmas & it is a very fine bar. Excellent selection of beers, fine bar counter, very good staff, etc. but the place was freezing! The only source of heat was one small coal fire but was probably only lighting a short time.

Advertisement