Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AA Home Insurance - Any Use?

Options
  • 26-03-2011 10:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭

I recently took out a mortgage for the first time, and have been looking around for insurance. I only called the AA yesterday evening and got quoted at €380 for the year with the following, through RSA:

Contents - €40,000
    High Risk Contents - €16,000
    Buildings - €200,000
    Excess - €250

I also quickly listed some answers to the questions I was asked, which were: the house is semi-D, there is somebody around most of the day, we are nowhere near water (the girl on the other end of the phone was quite adament we had to be away from water), have no claims, we have good locks and an alarm (but it is not monitored or security authority approved).

The girl also mentioned that they will give rent & alternative accomodation up to 50% of my contents (so €20,000) if we needed it, that all our contents and buildings are covered for new-for-old accidental damage cover, that all standard perils are covered and that my contents will be upped 10% to €44,000 in December/January at no extra cost.

So are the AA any use (I always assumed they were the most reputable around)? Is the price good for what I am getting? Did any of the benefits she told me about in the paragraph above stand out as particularly useful? Is €380 a good price for all of this? Basically what are the reasons I should and/or should not join the AA for home insurance?

I don't mean to sound too pushy for answers or anything, but I don't drive (actually, almost entirely due to insurance costs in this country) so I have no previous history of taking out insurance.

Advertisement