Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bought a new fridge, its too loud, what are my rights?

Options
  • 26-03-2011 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭

Our 14 year old fridge died last weekend. We bought a new one from a local supplier, delivered and installed, everything fine. The problem is the thing makes a really annoying and for a fridge loud noise when it is on (which seems to be pretty much constantly). I've actually thought it was the washing machine a couple of times (our machine is quiet and in the other room). It isn't a constant hum but a weird pumping noise that goes up and down. I've made it sound bad but I'm pretty certain that it is just the normal noise but damn is it annoying.

So the question is do I have any rights to return it? The shop says you can only return things for credit with the original packaging. The installer took the packaging away so I don't even have that.

thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

you would have the right to return it for repair / replace / refund (not under the shop policy) under the sale of good act if the unit is faulty or if the noise was not accurately described to you prior to purchase. (unit displayed but not powerd on or displayed in a noisy environemnt where sound would be masked)
    one should reasonably expect a fridge to quiet under normal operations (unless it is huge or has some sort of ice maker or fast cool mode)

you only need packaging for the shops policy which they are not covering you under so you can fall back on the sale of goods act which does not require you to keep packaging etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Something to check - how is it fitted in your kitchen?

The fridge will vibrate to an extent. If it's tightly fitted into surrounding fitted furniture it can cause that vibration to be amplified.

It would be unusual for the fridge pump to continuously run. I's ask the supplier to send out a service person.

The unit is under warranty and once you have a receipt you still have your consumer rights in place.

Is it a good brand/model?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Does it have an ice maker?
    The ice maker on our fridge is quite loud, but by no means constant (unless we are using all the ice all the time)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Was it left to stand before being plugged in?

Unplug for 2 hrs or more and try again. If not transported vertically some refrigerant could be trapped in the wrong place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

watty wrote: »
    Was it left to stand before being plugged in?

Unplug for 2 hrs or more and try again. If not transported vertically some refrigerant could be trapped in the wrong place.
    I'd imagine it's this.

If it's not transported upright, ideally it should be left stand in the upright position for at least 24 hours before being plugged in.

Also, make sure it's perfectly level - particularly if you don't have concrete flooring. Are the evaporator coils on the back touching off the wall? Is the thermostat down too low (the compressor motor could be working unnecessarily hard).

Bear in mind too that it will naturally be fairly noisy for the first few days after installation as it will be working overtime to get the internal temperature down to normal operating level.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

What was said above.
    The shop really should have told you about this. I always did when I worked in an electrical shop,leave it stand to let the gases settle in the fridge. When it isn't that's what gives a 'loud' fridge

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭maclek

It's a whirlpool 766, built in middle of the road model. There's no ice maker.

There actually wasn't even a model in shop to look at, they just had an also available sticker on another model. We really needed a fridge and it had to be frost free and the correct dimensions.

It was installed by the shop and plugged in immediately, so I might try unplugging it for a couple of hours, the plug is on top of the unit so it is relatively easy to get to.

It's been installed now for 5 days.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Also check the feet under the fridge are all on the floor as if bot it will cause vibration=noise, and check that children are not leaving the door open even just a small bit as this will lead to the fridge running constantly especially if it is an under counter model with an icebox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭knighted_1

with a frostfree model it is usually the fan that makes excessive noise - you should have a super cool button on that fridge - make sure it's not turned on , this can cause a constant overrun of fan and motor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭knighted_1

just looked up this model in my manuals - I had a lot of problems with these and it was nearly always down to an installation issue or the fast freeze being left on

if the installer didn't square everything up the freezer door might be letting air in thru the door seal , this causes an immediate build up of ice around the fan causing it to be noisy and run constant

As I said 90% of problems I was called to was bad installation and that includes what others have said about levelling the fridge in the cabinet etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

The noise emissions should be on the energy rating label, its on washing machines and dishwashers but not sure about fridges. See here for an example:

appliance-efficiency-rating.jpg

Advertisement