Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to sell second hand books?

Options
  • 26-03-2011 12:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Hi, everyone,

I'm moving out of country soon and I have pile of books that I just don't want to throw out. I sold few on Amazon, but not all can be sold.

Any suggestions where they take in second hand books and maybe pay some euros for it?

Thanks,
    Gita

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

You could try upstairs in Chapters, Parnell Street (beside tesco).

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Try Adverts.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 eziite

Thanks for suggestions. Will look at Adverts.ie & Parnell Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

I found that most small bookshops will only offer credit notes instead of cash.Not much good to you I know.

As suggested above adverts would be a good bet especially if they are only of 1 or 2 genres

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Daisy!

Chapters aren't great to deal with really. The guy there looked down his nose at me last time I wanted to sell my books. There was nothing wrong with the books I was handing in, they were all different types of books but he said he didn't want them and was very rude about it too. I didn't even expect much, just wanted to get rid of them really. Won't be going back again. I just gave them to Oxfam instead who were more than happy to take them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Gerry Asstrix

The guys that in chapters are major Aholes, stay well away, they'll either rip you off or look down their nose at you for the books your handing in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

I agree Chapters are terrible to deal with. I have never been in any other store that was as snobby and up its own ass as Chapters. Brown Thomas and many of the stereotypical posh shops are nowhere in Chapters league when it comes to rude and snobby.

Apart from that, they offer the worst prices in my experience. Try the secret book and record store on Wicklow Street. You could try rent a spot in some of the markets at weekend and sell it. There are 2nd stores all over the place so look around.

If all else fails, you could always be really nice and donate them to the city libraries. ;)

Anything besides giving it to those snobby a-holes in chapters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Gerry Asstrix

And with Chapters, lets not forget the book you sell for 40 cent could go up on the shelf as 'new' with a price tag of a fiver!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Daisy!

Oh it's not just me so! I honestly walked out of there a bit humiliated. I'll never go back there again.

I hadn't thought about libraries, are most libraries happy to take in books? I have a good few collected again and they're in perfect condition. Would love to donate them to libraries if they'd take them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

I imagine they'd be only too happy to take them off your hands, Charity Shops will take them too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

Bookmark/GameXchange maybe?

I dunno if it opens Sundays and think it's only opened after 10am (try 11am) on the weekdays. I honestly have no idea if it's even opened anymore but the number would be: 018363103

It's on Talbot Street Dublin, near the train station.

Oh, that's only if you want to sell them. Other than that you could just donate them to a library/hospital/Charity shop?

Advertisement