Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Handicaps

Options
  • 26-03-2011 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey all, just need some help.
    I have recently let my membership of a golf club go. Recession and all that. My question is in relation to my handicap. I have been playing off 4 for 4 years now and have probably played about 20 rounds in hat time. I would say i am about a 9. If i join another club will my current handicap to given back to me??? Or would i be better off staying away for a year or 2 and then getting a new handicap??? What is the time lag in relation to handicaps????

Any help would be appreciated
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

If you join a new club you should declare your old handicap, if there is a time lag of a 2 years you should still declare your old handicap and submit 3 cards and see what they give you. You wont be getting 9 thats for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 reddog1357

kermitpwee wrote: »
    If you join a new club you should declare your old handicap, if there is a time lag of a 2 years you should still declare your old handicap and submit 3 cards and see what they give you. You wont be getting 9 thats for sure.

Thanks for that. But the whole idea of golf is you against the course. I can't play to 4 so why should they take my old handicap into consideration!! I know there are alot of bandits out there but i can assure you i'm not one of them. I'd like to be able to play golf where i'm not demoralised by always getting .1!!! It would take me 4 years of playing like this to become a normal golfer again and begin to enjoy it again. Not doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

reddog1357 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. But the whole idea of golf is you against the course. I can't play to 4 so why should they take my old handicap into consideration!! I know there are alot of bandits out there but i can assure you i'm not one of them. I'd like to be able to play golf where i'm not demoralised by always getting .1!!! It would take me 4 years of playing like this to become a normal golfer again and begin to enjoy it again. Not doing that.

I understand where your coming from. I have lost my handicap twice in the past due to giving up the game etc. You must give your old handicap, if you dont want to then thats your own business. And yes if it takes 4 years then it takes 4 years. I know a guy who was 7 and joined a new club 2 years later and didn't tell them about his old handicap and they gave him 10.

When I left the game for the last time in 2005 i was 6.9 when I returned in 2008 I handed in my 3 cards and was asked did I ever have a handicap. I was given 6.0!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭ernieprice

I also gave up golf for 3 years. I had a handicap of 11.3 at that time. When I returned in November I handed in my old handicap cert and returned 3 cards for a new handicap. I was given a handicap of 11.00. Golf is about honesty and I feel that you should inform them of the full details. As a handicap of 4 is category 1, I would assume that you will be given at least a handicap of 6 because even with clause 19 I believe a player can not have it used to gain a category 1 status.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Your handicap can be transferred once you re-join somewhere within 6 months of your previous membership ending. After that period it is considered dead and you have to hand in 3 new cards.
    You should do this and also write a simple letter to the handicap sec. stating your previous experience/handicap etc. as this will also be taken into consideration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭saintastic

ernieprice wrote: »
    can not have it used to gain a category 1 status.

What difference does category 1 status make as opposed to category 2?

Advertisement