Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to rent room with cat in the house

• 26-03-2011 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi

We are currently trying to rent out a large ensuite room in a house im renting.
    The house and room are really nice and in a nice area. I have lowered the price on the room (which means I have to pay more) but we still havent gotten anyone to take it even though a few have looked at it.

We have a cat and we are wondering if he is the problem. Did anyone else ever have the same problem. Or have any advice? really need to get the room rented soon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭summer_ina_bowl

Whilst we were in college, one of my classmates had trouble getting lodgers because she had a dog, so I guess the cat could be an issue too. People who aren't fond of animals will be unlikely to choose a place where pet hair etc may be a problem. It's a pity, but true.
    Hang in there though, if a person who has a pet is looking for a place to stay it can be really difficult to get a pet friendly landlord, and your house could be just what they need so fingers crossed the right person will come along in time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

In my second year of college I moved into a house with a cat. The landlady (who was also living in the house) asked if I liked animals. I have no problems with pets at all. The cat instantly liked me when I came in, she curled up on my lap, so I think that was the reason I got the house.

Maybe if your cat is the same it might be a good indicator! It shouldn't be that hard to find someone who wouldn't mind living with a cat!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

If the cat is friendly with other cats/dogs and you don't mind more four-legged occupants around the house then advertise the room as pet friendly, there are loads of people currently finding it hard to find a place to rent because they have pets. Personally I would prefer to rent a place that had a cat over a place that didn't have a cat! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

A lot of people have cat hair allergy. Maybe there's something in that.

Advertisement