Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puy Lentils - where to get?

Options
  • 26-03-2011 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

Every time I go to a restaurant and I see Puy Lentils on the menu, I get them.The last time I was out for a meal I had a starter and main with them, I think they are delicious.

So, I've looked in Tesco, Dunnes and Superquinn for them to no avail (Tesco did have a microwaveable bag of them, but I want "the real thing"), I didn't look in Asian stores, because they might call them something different.

Anyway, anyone know a place that sells them (in dublin :))

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

025475.jpg?ts=633851753184

Like this? We get a few bags in Tesco.

We used to get these brought back from France.
    Lentilles.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I had a bag of them Lentilles Vertes in my hand last night, I didn't know they were the same thing at all.

Now, how do you cook them?

and what do you have them with?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

see i told you that they were the same :rolleyes::rolleyes:

you need to just accept the fact that i am always right:p

• Registered Users Posts: 65,497 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

irishbird wrote: »
    see i told you that they were the same :rolleyes::rolleyes:

you need to just accept the fact that i am always right:p

You finally converted him to being a veggie? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Des wrote: »
    Now, how do you cook them?

You could try something like this; http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2233/sausage-and-lentil-onepot

The peppers should be optional imo but anyways. You don't have to use red wine either, just boil them in stock if you wanted. There are many other ways to do them I'm sure but this is the basic first dish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

You could try something like this; http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2233/sausage-and-lentil-onepot

The peppers should be optional imo but anyways. You don't have to use red wine either, just boil them in stock if you wanted. There are many other ways to do them I'm sure but this is the basic first dish.

Yeah, they're hugely versatile Des, a bit like cous-cous, what you add to them makes it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Greatfood

Sent from my iPad

Hi Des,

You can buy puy lentils in Fallon and Byrne in *Exchequer Street. You can often source them in a good health shop too. If you are near Rathgar, the Gourmet Shop at the top of Rathgar Road sells them (they are an old-fashioned foodstore that also sells high quality fruit for cake making too).

Puy have a particularly good flavour with a good structure that means they don't turn to mush. If you want a quick but absolutely luscious dinner, cook puy lentils in water with half an onion and a bay leaf. While they are cooking, fry a duck breast (which you have seasoned with salt and pepper) in olive oil, skin side down until the skin is crispy, about five minutes. Then pop it flesh side down into a lightly oiled baking tray at 200 degrees C/400 degrees F for 15 minutes. When it is cooked, cover lightly with tin foil. When the lentils are cooked, discard the onion and bay leaf and season them. Put the lentils in a bowl, drizzle with good olive oil and aged balsamic vinegar, and serve slices of the duck breast on top. You could always season the duck with Sichuan pepper - use very little - and it will really give your duck breasts a zing. You will find them them in the Asia Market and they keep well in the freezer.

<snip>
    Anne

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭stick girl

Those lentils with duck sound amazing. will have to make that. I find lentils to be one of the most diverse foods. once you've cooked them, you can add to salads, or it can be a salad in it's own right. served like tabouli(sp?), or saute with onions, garlic and finished with chopped tomatoes and chopped spinach. makes a great side dish or mean in itself. I've bought them at Fallon and Byrne and also at the asian (as in indian/pakistani) shop on Mary st. down off capel.
    if you can find beluga lentils, try them... amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,459 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I cook pu lentils almost like a risotto.
    First brown off a handful of diced pancetta.Then add a mire poix (2x onion, 1x celery, 1x carrot) diced and sweat that down until soft. Add a bay and a couple of sprigs of thyme. Add your lentils. Then I add gradually stock (duck if you can get it, or chicken) a ladel at a time and cook it off so the lentils absorb the flavour. Keep going with the adding of the stock and the cooking off until the lentils are soft. Take off the heat, add a couple of lumps of butter and cover for 5 minutes.
    Goes great with game or poultry.

Advertisement