Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can I apply for JSA after 3-6 months?

• 26-03-2011 1:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I am employed 5 years now however just resigned to start another job in UK. What if I lose this job in 3-6 moths. Can I return back home to Ireland and still apply for Jobseekers Benefit or Jobseekers Allowance ?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Granger13

Hi,

I am employed 5 years now however just resigned to start another job in UK. What if I lose this job in 3-6 moths. Can I return back home to Ireland and still apply for Jobseekers Benefit or Jobseekers Allowance ?

Thanks

You can apply for jobseekers Allowance at anystage, this is a means tested payment and and savings investments or other income you may have will be taken into account. There is a disregard for the first 20,000.

Jobseekers Benefit will be based on your paid contributions you have. As you have been working over 5years you should well have the required amount of contributions and PRSI. If applying for JB you should do so as soon as you can if your job does not work out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thank you,
    I do have required amount of contributions and PRSI to currently qualify for JB however I have heard that there are some restrictions for people who have left work voluntarily.

Also, do you know if there is any “expiry date” of these PRSI contributions I have paid? I mean how long I can stay abroad with an open option to return and still qualify for JB?

Thank you,
    I do have required amount of contributions and PRSI to currently qualify for JB however I have heard that there are some restrictions for people who have left work voluntarily.

Also, do you know if there is any “expiry date” of these PRSI contributions I have paid? I mean how long I can stay abroad with an open option to return and still qualify for JB?

Yes you can be disqualifed for up to 9 weeks if you leave a job of your own accord. They ususaly go by the last 2years of your contribuitons. Off hand i cant rembember if they could possibly check a third year or exaclty how long you have.

I checked it out to be sure they go by the Relevant Tax year.

The Relevnat Tax Year is the second last complete tax year before the year in which your claim is made. So,for example: claims made in 2011, the Relevant Tax Year is 2009.

If you do not have 13 paid contributions in the relevant tax year the following years can be used to meet the condition: The two tax years before the relevant tax year; the last complete tax year;the current tax year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Granger, Thank you for your help.

I am a little bit lost in it. So, the answer for my second question is 2 years?

• Advertisement
Advertisement