Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows XP or Windows 7 starter?

• 26-03-2011 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

Hi,
    Im planning on buying a laptop over the next few days. Ive narrowed my choices down to 2-One is Windows XP and the other is Windows 7 starter. Could anyone tell me which is the better option? Does windows XP have microsoft word?
    Thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Windows 7 Starter is very limited so I'd say XP, however Windows 7 is better and more secure than XP. Also neither XP or 7 will come with the full version of Office, a Trial version may be included, or a cut down version called works. But you can get a great (legally) free office suite LibreOffice at www.libreoffice.org

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Have a look here for a comparison between windows 7 versions:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions
    Starter is quite limited but maybe whats missing wont bother you too much. At a push if it's between the two and only the two you're talking about I'd still go for windows 7 starter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭laughter189

There is no support for Windows XP after Apr 2014 -

Its best to buy Windows 7 now .

Read this taken from Microsoft website :

Support lifecycle
    Support for Windows XP without a service pack ended on September 30, 2004 and support for Windows XP Service Pack 1 and 1a ended on October 10, 2006

Windows XP Service Pack 2 was retired on July 13, 2010, almost six years after its general availability.
    In accordance with Microsoft's posted timetable, the company stopped general licensing of Windows XP to OEMs and terminated retail sales of the operating system on June 30, 2008, 17 months after the release of Windows Vista. However, an exception was announced on April 3, 2008, for OEMs installing to ultra low-cost PCs until one year after the availability of windows 7 (October 22, 2010)

On April 14, 2009, Windows XP and its family of operating systems were moved from Mainstream Support to the Extended Support phase as it marks the progression of the legacy operating system through the Microsoft Support Lifecycle Policy. During the Extended Support Phase, Microsoft will continue to provide security updates every month for Windows XP; however, free technical support, warranty claims, and design changes are no longer being offered.

On April 8, 2014, all Windows XP support, including security updates and security-related hotfixes, will be terminated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

Windows XP and Windows 7 Starter are only avaliable on netbooks and not on full laptops.

Most laptops come with Windows 7 Home Premium which is a very good operating system and is probably the best desktop OS ever

As other posters have said, Microsoft Word is not included as part of Windows. However, if you or anyone in your household is a student (inc. primary and secondary) you can buy a full version of Microsoft Office 2010 for around 70euro from www.software4students.ie. A lot of stores also offer the full version of Office 2010 Home and Student for between 70 and 99 when you buy a laptop from them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

jahalpin wrote: »
    Windows XP and Windows 7 Starter are only avaliable on netbooks and not on full laptops.

Not true! See HERE

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Monkey09

Thanks so much for all the replies, very much appreciated! :)

Ok, this is probably a stupid question but what does it mean by saying that Windows XP will no longer be supported? I'm completely confused! :confused:

To be honest, my needs are very basic. The main purpose would be for using Skype (so a decent enough webcam would be a must!) and for some small internet surfing. So, i'm probably best buying a notebook.

The things is, i'm finding it next to impossible to find a notebook which has Windows 7 starter and a decent webcam.

Anyone have any suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Monkey09 wrote: »
    Thanks so much for all the replies, very much appreciated! :)

Ok, this is probably a stupid question but what does it mean by saying that Windows XP will no longer be supported? I'm completely confused! :confused:

To be honest, my needs are very basic. The main purpose would be for using Skype (so a decent enough webcam would be a must!) and for some small internet surfing. So, i'm probably best buying a notebook.

The things is, i'm finding it next to impossible to find a notebook which has Windows 7 starter and a decent webcam.

Anyone have any suggestions?
    Support means after that date if there's any bugs or problems (security related) with windows xp will probably not be fixed by microsoft. How about telling us the max amount of money you want to spend and what screen size you'd like and we'll post suggestions (maybe tomorrow from me anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Monkey09

It sounds like having windows xp wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, if i have good anti-virus software then!

I'm looking for a screen size of about 10 or 10.1 as i need something portable for travelling!

My budget would be around 300e. Have done some research online and notebooks seem to be a bit cheaper there!

Advertisement