Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blaa Recipe

Options
  • 26-03-2011 1:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭

There is a discussion on another thread asking for recipes. I think this crucially important topic deserves its own thread.

So can anyone give some recipes for making blaas at home?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭I Love Cheese

Uranium, rusty razor blades, Eye of Newt, 2 cups of flour, 4 eggs, a cup of milk and a wee bit of butter. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

dayshah wrote: »
    There is a discussion on another thread asking for recipes. I think this crucially important topic deserves its own thread.

Enjoy, hope you like it. Makes 8 blaas.
    >
    > Ingredients
    > 500g/ 4 cups extra strong white flour, plus extra for dredging
    > 10g/ 1.6 tsp salt
    > 10g/ 3/4 tbsp butter
    > 10g/ 2.51 tsp active dried yeast
    > 10g/ 2.5 tsp sugar
    > 275g/ 9 oz water, lukewarm
    > Method
    > 1. Dissolve yeast and sugar into water. Ensure that the water is warm, not cold or hot. Leave for 10 minutes. It should get nice and frothy, indicating that the yeast is alive and well.
    > 2. Sieve dry ingredients, introducing air.
    > 3. Rub butter and dry mixture together.
    > 4. Add wet to dry ingredients, mix until combined. Knead until dough is smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. It will go from rough to a little shiny
    > 5. Proof for 45 mins in a bowl covered in clingfilm in a warm part of your kitchen. Remove from the bowl and knock back, pushing the air out the dough. Rest for 15mins. (The short rest times gives the gluten time to relax, making shaping easier).
    > 6. Divide the dough into 8 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball.
    > 7. Rest for 5mins, covered.
    > 8. Roll out to an round shape and place the balls side by side in a square baking dish (that has some flour on) to proof. Dredge with flour again .
    > 9. Final proofing for 50mins. Nearly there! Dredge with a little extra flour.
    > 10. Bake for 15-20mins at 210c/415f.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Does this recipe make the soft or the crusty? :P

shockwave wrote: »
    Does this recipe make the soft or the crusty? :P

I think you have to ad the uranium and eye of newt to get em crusty. Haven't a clue....the recipe was sent to me via PM and I didn't ask!

maybe the rusty razorblades make em crusty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Faq

Bowl of water at the bottom of the oven makes them hard i think as the steam rises

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I like baking and breadmaking. I'm going to try this recipe when I get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

deisemum wrote: »
    I like baking and breadmaking. I'm going to try this recipe when I get a chance.

Good stuff. Someone who knows what they're doing trying it out will actually tell us if it works! Report back wtih your findings.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

My mate is making them in Canada, only for the homesick over there but he's getting orders. I've no idea but he leaves them in the hot press for some reason before the oven. Flat mates not too happy about that part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    My mate is making them in Canada, only for the homesick over there but he's getting orders. I've no idea but he leaves them in the hot press for some reason before the oven. Flat mates not too happy about that part.
    I leave the dough or whatever its called that I use to make the base of pizzas in the hotpress for about half an hour. I think it just settles the yeast. The dough expands while inthe hot press. I wrapped the dough tightly in clung film before for the laugh just to see how "strong" the expanding would be. It burst the clingfilm lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

chelloveks wrote: »

Enjoy, hope you like it. Makes 8 blaas.
    >
    > Ingredients
    > 500g/ 4 cups extra strong white flour, plus extra for dredging
    > 10g/ 1.6 tsp salt
    > 10g/ 3/4 tbsp butter
    > 10g/ 2.51 tsp active dried yeast
    > 10g/ 2.5 tsp sugar
    > 275g/ 9 oz water, lukewarm
    > Method
    > 1. Dissolve yeast and sugar into water. Ensure that the water is warm, not cold or hot. Leave for 10 minutes. It should get nice and frothy, indicating that the yeast is alive and well.
    > 2. Sieve dry ingredients, introducing air.
    > 3. Rub butter and dry mixture together.
    > 4. Add wet to dry ingredients, mix until combined. Knead until dough is smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. It will go from rough to a little shiny
    > 5. Proof for 45 mins in a bowl covered in clingfilm in a warm part of your kitchen. Remove from the bowl and knock back, pushing the air out the dough. Rest for 15mins. (The short rest times gives the gluten time to relax, making shaping easier).
    > 6. Divide the dough into 8 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball.
    > 7. Rest for 5mins, covered.
    > 8. Roll out to an round shape and place the balls side by side in a square baking dish (that has some flour on) to proof. Dredge with flour again .
    > 9. Final proofing for 50mins. Nearly there! Dredge with a little extra flour.
    > 10. Bake for 15-20mins at 210c/415f.

Do you oil the bowl and clingfilm like you do in most other bread recipes? When I try this recipe I want to be as authentic as possible to rule out any chance of ruining it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

just follow the instructions that are there ,its fairly straight forward,,just a little time consumeing,,and for the crustier blaa you want just depends on how long you leave them in the oven for,,:)

just follow the instructions that are there ,its fairly straight forward,,just a little time consumeing,,and for the crustier blaa you want just depends on how long you leave them in the oven for,,:)

OK....so I baked em today and while they TASTED good, they were a bit too heavy, not nice n lite like I remember.

I need a baker to tell me what I did wrong....too much flour?...didn't knead it enogh?...let it proof longer?....were my conversions from metric wrong?

Any help will be much appreciated!!!! I'd rather leverage somebody who knows what they are doing that keep trying till I get it right!

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

what kind of flour did you get to use in the beginning chelloveks,,i couldnt get the extra strong flour that is recommended in the script but used the strong stuff ,,,worked out ok here ,have to say i done it too the gram aswell with a scales and no guess work ,,

what kind of flour did you get to use in the beginning chelloveks,,i couldnt get the extra strong flour that is recommended in the script but used the strong stuff ,,,worked out ok here ,have to say i done it too the gram aswell with a scales and no guess work ,,

That might be it too...never heard of "estra strong flour" before so I ued the ****e my wife has for baking....I'll have to surf the net to see what "extra strong" flour is! Thanks Honey that could be it. I just had one for me breakie and it wasnt bad though!

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

OK....so I baked em today and while they TASTED good, they were a bit too heavy, not nice n lite like I remember.

I need a baker to tell me what I did wrong....too much flour?...didn't knead it enogh?...let it proof longer?....were my conversions from metric wrong?

Any help will be much appreciated!!!! I'd rather leverage somebody who knows what they are doing that keep trying till I get it right!

Sounds like you made the dough balls too heavy you don't want them any heavier then around 4-5ozs, after you flatten them on the tray this is where the final proving comes in, leave rest (room temperature for at least an hour) till they prove to about 3/4 the size of the finished product as they don't rise much in the oven. Handle with care once proved you don't want to knock them back at this stage..

Don't forget to Dust with flour when flattened on the tray before the final prove, try it again and see how you get on...

Bake at 200* Celsius for about 25 min with an egg cup of water splashed into the oven for steam.

ENJOY!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

IDShot_225x225.jpg

Then again if Odlums don't make it I dont want it!

They have this:

IDShot_225x225.jpg

IDShot_225x225.jpg

They have this:

IDShot_225x225.jpg

I don't think I'll be able to find those brands here in the US but thanks for showing the novice that there is a thing called strong flour!!!! When i trolled the web I see that it is just higher gluten content that makes it strong!

Funfair wrote: »
    Sounds like you made the dough balls too heavy you don't want them any heavier then around 4-5ozs, after you flatten them on the tray this is where the final proving comes in, leave rest (room temperature for at least an hour) till they prove to about 3/4 the size of the finished product as they don't rise much in the oven. Handle with care once proved you don't want to knock them back at this stage..

Don't forget to Dust with flour when flattened on the tray before the final prove, try it again and see how you get on...

Bake at 200* Celsius for about 25 min with an egg cup of water splashed into the oven for steam.

ENJOY!

Thanks VERY much for the assistance! I really want to get this right!

Yeah, I made a bollocks of it by using the wrong flour and knockin em back after the final proof...this bakin stuff is more an art than a science I see!

When you roll them out flat and put in the tray for final proof, how flat should they be? Half the height of the finished product?

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

Thanks VERY much for the assistance! I really want to get this right!

Yeah, I made a bollocks of it by using the wrong flour and knockin em back after the final proof...this bakin stuff is more an art than a science I see!

When you roll them out flat and put in the tray for final proof, how flat should they be? Half the height of the finished product?

Thanks again!

I'd say no more then an 1/2 inch with the finished blaa being roughly 2 1/2 inches in height, hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Saw this on the WLR News & Sport Facebook page today:
    Four Waterford bakeries have banded together to put the Blaa on a prestigious EU list that protects unique products against imitation. M and D, Hickey's , Harneys and Barrons are in the process of registering the famous bread roll on the European PGI list. Co-owner of M and D Dermot Walsh says it's similar to the status that Champagne and Parmasen cheese has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭doctordon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blaa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

A clatter of r's
    Belligerent look
    Big dollop of cynicism
    Half bottle of Ritz
    An yer Dere boi

Zzzzzzzzzombie thread! I remember this thread from years ago and while watching bake off this week, I thought of it again. I'm hopefully going to give this a go at the weekend.

Anybody else made their own blaas recently? Any pitfalls I need to look out for? The most I've ever baked is like queen cakes so I don't have high hopes for these blaas but should be a bit of a laugh anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,347 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

i never had a filled blaa. perfer them on there own heaps of butter.

heard a meanies filled blaa is unreal

Made them tonight. They were a resounding success. I'll post pictures when I'm on a laptop tomorrow. Everyone should try it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

IDShot_225x225.jpg

They have this:

IDShot_225x225.jpg

That owl reminds me of a programming lecturer I had in college. :)

As promised:

363138.jpg

363139.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

They look like proper Blaas well done!

I might try this recipe myself but i prefer crusty blaas did you put the bowl of water in the oven?

• Advertisement

They look like proper Blaas well done!

I might try this recipe myself but i prefer crusty blaas did you put the bowl of water in the oven?

No I didn't. I prefer them a bit soft. These ones were crispy but then very soft on the inside. Were met with general approval from the family anyway.

Advertisement