Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got the meatballs...now what?

Options
  • 26-03-2011 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I picked up some meatballs in Lidl today.... just wondering if anyone can recommend a sauce to go with them?

Don't mind a ready-made or make from scratch. I quite like spicy food.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Found a great selection online, but thanks for all your help :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Share the wealth :P.

I usually just make my own tomato based sauce with a tin of chopped tomatoes, tomato puree and various herbs and spices.

Would be interesting to make a tomato based BBQ sauce though. Anyone got any ideas for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭shefra

I got lidl ones yesterday so i improvised. I love garlic, onions,spices and spicy. Firstly i coated the meatballs in cayanne chili pepper spice, ground cumin spice, paprika, loads of cracked pepper, mixed spice, basil and oregano. Brown in olive oil then add chunky chopped onions and garlic till soft but not browned. Puree half a can of tomatoes, about 2 tablespoons of 'Real Irish Food co' vine tomato & jalapeno chilli sauce and add to meatballs. Add some water to required consistency, simmer. The longer the simmer the better. Then I put in casserole dish with cover and baked in the oven for bout 20 mins at 180. Add grated cheese before serving. Yum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Wow, sounds amazing.

I love all the spicy ingredients you used. Mmmmmmmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

This is the recipe I used.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4149/meatballs-with-spiced-tomato-sauce

I just used it for the sauce as I had the Lidl meatballs (delicious, btw). I fried a load of chorizo and added that to the sauce with the meatballs. I cooked it longer than suggested (an extra 30-40mins in a casserole dish in oven) and it was absolutely gorgeous. I also only used half the amount of wine as the red wine I had at home had a strong taste.

Leftovers the next day were even better :)

Will be making this again - and soon :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement