Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bin charges

Options
  • 26-03-2011 2:21pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭

Put this in Bargain Alerts earlier, think it should get a look i her too.

Was looking up prices for bin charges and came across this. You can pay for Oxigen online at the moment for 12 months for €199. Existing customers pay €299 a year. This offer is only available to new customers. My bins are in my wifes name, she kept her surname, so I'm going to ring on Monday, and see if I can pay the lesser amount. The electricity companies don't have a problem with cancelling, then going back. I'll let you know how I get on.

I'm based in Naas, so probably should work around Sallins, Clane and other areas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

AES are doing the same for new customers in certain areas, €16.50 a month

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

We are existing Oxigen customers paying 300 a year, paying 75 a quarter. We looked for the 200 deal. We rang Oxigen and initially got no definite answer from sales on the phone and asked for manager. Next day he rang and he then put us in as a new customer if we paid in full for the year for a total of 199. It can be done.

The AES deal is odd as their pricing is based on longer times between pickups.

For Oxigen, black waste bin is every two weeks. Green recycle and brown compost bin picked up every two weeks. The AES deal picks up the recycle every 3 weeks to get the price lower. If you stuck to the Oxigen plan but moved to AES it would work out more expensive. AES sales pitch is based on having a blue bin for glass and ignoring the different pick up times. Guy came twice to us and he was a waste of space. Cannot even give you the bloody leaflet he has as "they are a green company". All details on the net.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

I'll stick with the 24 quid a month so. (Oxigen)

Damien360 wrote: »
    We are existing Oxigen customers paying 300 a year, paying 75 a quarter. We looked for the 200 deal. We rang Oxigen and initially got no definite answer from sales on the phone and asked for manager. Next day he rang and he then put us in as a new customer if we paid in full for the year for a total of 199. It can be done.

For Oxigen, black waste bin is every two weeks. Green recycle and brown compost bin picked up every two weeks. The AES deal picks up the recycle every 3 weeks to get the price lower. If you stuck to the Oxigen plan but moved to AES it would work out more expensive. AES sales pitch is based on having a blue bin for glass and ignoring the different pick up times. Guy came twice to us and he was a waste of space. Cannot even give you the bloody leaflet he has as "they are a green company". All details on the net.
    are ya sure, it would be very hard to collect the bins the way you're saying, as it is everything is collected ever 2nd week except the glass which is once a month

if this stayed the same and then new customers were only collected every 3 weeks it would be a nightmare for myself and the other truck drivers to distinguish between the old and new customers

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Bin charges paid. They have a sales rep aswell going round following up on internet queries, which is very good customer service. When we asked him about next year, he said to ring him and he'd sort something out. More than likely he'd put you through as a new customer again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

No sign of Oxigen in my estate today, was it a general problem? Was supposed to be domestic waste collection day.

I think Thorntons have the best deal going for those with a small amount of rubbish whereby you only pay per lift with no extra charges. I don't use a compost bin as I compost all that's compostable, the recycle bin is free and I only put out a domestic waste bin about once a month so that should work out less than €100 per year at ~€7 per lift. They only extended this offer to Kidare from Jan 2011 and I'll probably go for it.

i checked this out today and the infromation you got was definitely incorrect, each bin is picked up every second week with the glass collected once a month

I am not going to be silly and argue but on the AES website.....

http://www.aesirl.ie/household-customers/prices-and-plans/kildare-recycling-plus

For the 2 blank bins, 2 brown and 2 green recycling in a 4 week period, just like my current Oxigen plan the price is stated as 28.20 per month or 338.40 per year. This is what I mean. Sticking to the plan that we use currently then the price for AES is significantly more expensive when comparing like for like service.

i dont think the website has being updated with the new prices yet
    both Oxigen and AES are cheaper

• Advertisement

guil wrote: »
    i dont think the website has being updated with the new prices yet
    both Oxigen and AES are cheaper

But if you ask any sales on your doorstep, they will tell you they cannot give you a brochure because they are a green company and they direct you to the website. This has happened 3 times to us. Twice at my door and the last time at B&Q Naas. It appears that one hand does not know what the other is doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

But if you ask any sales on your doorstep, they will tell you they cannot give you a brochure because they are a green company and they direct you to the website. This has happened 3 times to us. Twice at my door and the last time at B&Q Naas. It appears that one hand does not know what the other is doing.

I'm in Navan and we were paying €24 per month for a 160l black bin and 240l recycler bin. Recently tag a bin came on the scene offering the 240l black bin and 240l recycler for €20 a month.

The missus rang AES and they matched tag a bin's price straight away and swapped our 160l for a 240l, it pays to stay on their tits..

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭EoC

Thorntons must not be making money on the deal they have so they have introduced an annual charge now.

Annual Service Charge: 50
    Black Bin: 7.50
    Brown Bin: 4.20
    Green Bin: Free

So whereas I used to leave the black bin out once a month (8.40 x 12 = 100 euro) now it will be (7.50 x 12 + 50 = 140). This is quite a substantial increase but still cheaper than the numbers I've seen with other suppliers.

I hope that this was not a 'bait and switch' move (get customers in at a cheap price and then changes the terms and conditions).

However have to say that I've done well with Thorntons.

EoC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Yes, Thorntons have slipped in a €50 service charge, on the pay per lift scheme, blaming the extra tax they have to pay to use landfill. They are still a better deal than the competition so I'll hang in there for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

guil wrote: »
    AES are doing the same for new customers in certain areas, €16.50 a month

I also heard this Guil. My next door neighbour has moved to AES from Ox. I am just waiting with anticipation for January 1 to see what AES are going to charge those loyal and faithful customers who have fobbed off the Oxygen, Thorntons etc reps to stay loyal to them.

SHould be interesting to see what we are charged come January 1.

Don't know where You get this info from Damien. As I said my NDN changed over to AES, and His bins are collected same as mine, every SECOND WEEKEND...we have NEVER had to wait 3 weeks between collections, except for the glass bin which is collected once a month. Think You must recheck Your info.

Sorry to have to correct You

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    Don't know where You get this info from Damien. As I said my NDN changed over to AES, and His bins are collected same as mine, every SECOND WEEKEND...we have NEVER had to wait 3 weeks between collections, except for the glass bin which is collected once a month. Think You must recheck Your info.

Sorry to have to correct You

A wise man would read all the posts before posting above. Besides I posted in march about this. I am sure they updated their website in the last 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I know this won't work for everyone due to space, transport etc but.

I have no bin collection.

I separate my recyclables into big plastic buckets.
    I have two round bins for domestic waste.
    I have a 'Big Pig' composter for all food waste, cooked & uncooked.

On average, every 6 weeks I go to Silliot Hill with my waste and recyclables. This usually costs about €13 per visit.

So, being realistic, say €15 x 9 visits per year = €135 (plus fuel & time)

A wise man would read all the posts before posting above. Besides I posted in march about this. I am sure they updated their website in the last 6 months.

I hold my hands up Damien, You are right, I never checked the dates submissions were posted, nor did I follow through, where I think it was established that collections are made bi-weekly.

Apologies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

prospect wrote: »
    I know this won't work for everyone due to space, transport etc but.

I have no bin collection.

I separate my recyclables into big plastic buckets.
    I have two round bins for domestic waste.
    I have a 'Big Pig' composter for all food waste, cooked & uncooked.

On average, every 6 weeks I go to Silliot Hill with my waste and recyclables. This usually costs about €13 per visit.

Tbh even if I had the space I'd sooner have the 240l bin and recycler for €240 per year and a lot less hassle..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭zipzoc

Is it true that people in some parts of Dublin just pay the yearly council charge and don't need to buy a tag every time they put their black bin out? e.g. Palmerstown?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

zipzoc wrote: »
    Is it true that people in some parts of Dublin just pay the yearly council charge and don't need to buy a tag every time they put their black bin out? e.g. Palmerstown?

I think Dublin City Council just has the one fee and no tags

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭zipzoc

Sorry, I just realised this is a 'Kildare' thread. But anyway, so I pay double what other people pay because I'm in Dublin 15?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

I value my time at about €20 - €25 per hour. Basically if all my ironing would take 2 hours and someone said they'd do it for €40, I'd pay the €40 and fell I got great value.
    There's a great book called "Why is popcorn so expensive in the cinema" (or something like that) that goes indepth into this economic way of thinking.

Anyway AES - if you are good at recycling, able to breakdown your boxes, squash your tins / pet bottles and don't have a lot of waste, their pay per lift service is great value.

€49 for 1st 6 months, then €74 every 6 month and €7.25 per waste bin lift with recycling free.

we have max 1 waste bin per month - probably 10 a year, so total cost is about €220 per year. - and no driving to silliot hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

All well and good pricing your time guys, I hope you can always afford the luxury.

In my case, needs must.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

All well and good pricing your time guys, I hope you can always afford the luxury.

In my case, needs must.

True and if I was in a normal 9-5 job with regular holidays, my free time would not be a precious, but as I'm responsible for 12 staff and the wages of 12 familes and work 60+ hours a week to ensure these jobs are safe, my spare time is valuable.

Advertisement