Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Was refused for Driving Test [smoked before]

Options
  • 26-03-2011 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hey guys

My boyfriend just got back after being refused for his driving test.

What happened was,

He pulled up outside the center.
    Got out of the car, Had a smoke and went in.

The guy he went up to refused him straight away, due to smoking.
    Wtf?

It says in the final checks,

m) As vehicles presented for a driving test are regarded as an enclosed workspace, all vehicles must be smoke
    free in accordance with the Public Health (Tobacco) Act, 2004. As this Act also covers environmental
    tobacco smoke, test candidates are asked not to smoke in the vehicle before the driving test.

So why would he be refused if he was standing outside the car? or was the tester just being a dick?

My boyfriend did say he left the door open when he got out, which shouldn't make a difference, as long as your not sitting in the car?

I think its a bit harsh. We are smokers but do not smoke in the car as it makes em so dirty.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

He was being a dick. End of. I actually wish second hand smoke was as deadly as they make out as it would hopefully kill off these whining pussies before they got a chance to reproduce.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

He should have had a few pints to settle his nerves first instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

If it was outside the car, then he was acting the arsehole.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Evelynmc

Ye think theres any point in ringing the RSA to complain about it ir will they be total dickheads too ya think? :(

Maybe it mattered if smoke blew into the car nah? Cos door was open.

I think they are all a bunch of con artists anyway, sure they dont give a **** that ya paid a ridiculous amount of money to do they bloody thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

your fella should have put the smoke out in the testers eyes. typical company man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Fair play to the inspector, he was just getting one back on the inconsiderate smokers, as a non smoker i have to put up with people blowing smoke into my face at bus stops, outside bars and loads more.

Maybe your boyfriend will be more considerate to others from now on!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Driving Testers are frequently complete assholes.

My first encounter with them was on test for a full Motorbike licence, he failed me on the first round-about (Kinsale Road Roundabout for those in Cork, and this is before it was fixed up), but kept the test going the full time.

Afterwards he refused to tell me what exactly I did wrong on the roundabout.

Everyone I know who's had a test done in the last 10 years has had similar complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Fair play to the inspector, he was just getting one back on the inconsiderate smokers, as a non smoker i have to put up with people blowing smoke into my face at bus stops, outside bars and loads more.

:confused:

Did you even read the original post, or just see the word "smoker" and decide to have a rant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

where did the op say her boyfriend blew smoke in the inspectors face?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Fantastic reading skills buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Unfortunately Driving Tester is one of those jobs where people with little or no patience/tolerance seem to always end up? Or maybe they did have those qualities but a couple of years doing job gets rid of it quick smart?

Well, you cant just look at the post, see that he is a smoker and go on a rant, its not that he was smoking was inconsiderate of others, he was standing outside his own car with nobody else around.

Oh and not all smokers are inconsiderate, i totally agree that it is disgusting when people who smoke don't take others around them into consideration.

Even as a smoker myself, i hate when people just blow it wherever they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,046 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Driving Testers are frequently complete assholes.

My first encounter with them was on test for a full Motorbike licence, he failed me on the first round-about (Kinsale Road Roundabout for those in Cork, and this is before it was fixed up), but kept the test going the full time.

Afterwards he refused to tell me what exactly I did wrong on the roundabout.

Everyone I know who's had a test done in the last 10 years has had similar complaints.

That's what you did wrong, you should have driven around it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Tell your bf to make a complaint straight away.

B/s like that is'nt on.

where did the op say her boyfriend blew smoke in the inspectors face?

Where did i say he blew smoke into the inspectors face?

anyway do all you smokers think its right for a non smoker driving inspector to have to deal with the smell of smoke? Say someone came to do the test with a serious BO problem and a really smelly car, should the inspector have to deal with that too?

its a driving test, the boyfriend should have know that the driving inspectors are really fuzzy about appearance and hygiene and should have known not to come stinking of smoke!!!

ejmaztec wrote: »
    That's what you did wrong, you should have driven around it.

You mean we're not supposed to drive right over the grassy bit in the middle??

Well that's boring.

Unfortunately Driving Tester is one of those jobs where people with little or no patience/tolerance seem to always end up? Or maybe they did have those qualities but a couple of years doing job gets rid of it quick smart?

yea, i agree, id say they judge people by the way they look/sound too..

similar to the gardai really, they are given an ounce of authority and go on a power trip. Its disgraceful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

The driving test system is more bollix that is completely corrupt here in this country and needs complete overhaul.

Driving tester: here are your faults, you failed.
    Me: can you please explain how and where i went wrong.
    Driving tester: we can't discuss that. apply again. better luck next time.

How is one supposed to learn from their mistakes when there could be a range of possible reasons why one would fail under a particular heading like hazards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,188 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

anyway do all you smokers think its right for a non smoker driving inspector to have to deal with the smell of smoke? Say someone came to do the test with a serious BO problem and a really smelly car, should the inspector have to deal with that too?

its a driving test, the boyfriend should have know that the driving inspectors are really fuzzy about appearance and hygiene and should have known not to come stinking of smoke!!!

"Smell" of smoke? For some reason I don't think you fully understand this non-smoking legislation.................

• Registered Users Posts: 24,046 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

A lot of examiners are omnipotent fuckers.

The driving inspector turned him down because he saw him smoking outside of the car, he had no proof that he also smoked inside the car.

Someone's body odour, cleanliness of the car, or whether or not they smoke have absolutely no affect on the driving test or how they drive.

This is another case of Driving Instructor's showing just how lazy they can be, and why waiting times in this country are so insanely long for people to do the tests. Because they pick and choose who they test.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,188 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

ejmaztec wrote: »
    A lot of examiners are omnipotent fuckers.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Wibbs wrote: »
    He was being a dick. End of. I actually wish second hand smoke was as deadly as they make out as it would hopefully kill off these whining pussies before they got a chance to reproduce.
    Exactly. I remember before I started smoking that I didnt like the smell, still didnt make a huge deal about it like these non-smoking drama queens we have today.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Are you going to delete this post too when posters show you up for such idiotic posts? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It was implied, well anything other reason for a rant might be construed as daft.

Ahhh de poor liddle widdle inspector. You're having a laugh surely? How more whiny and moany and basically weak can our society get? Jesus.
    Angry noises!!! Mkay... Fuzzy about appearance? Fuzzy? I think you'll find the word is "fussy" Actually in context yours makes more sense.

Oh and before anyone gets twitchy, ex smoker here. You know, usually the ones more angry about the horrid eeevil smoke. Reformed whores and all that.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

ilovesleep wrote: »
    The driving test system is more bollix that is completely corrupt here in this country and needs complete overhaul.

Driving tester: here are your faults, you failed.
    Me: can you please explain how and where i went wrong.
    Driving tester: we can't discuss that. apply again. better luck next time.

LOL - corrupt?

now not to come across as trolling but the driving test is 35 minutes long - You can make 7 semi serious mistakes - now if you do the math, your allowed to make a mistake every 5 minutes!!!

now if you cant drive for under 5 minutes without making a mistake, you really shouldnt be driving!!!

• Advertisement

LOL - corrupt?

now not to come across as trolling but the driving test is 35 minutes long - You can make 7 semi serious mistakes - now if you do the math, your allowed to make a mistake every 5 minutes!!!

now if you can drive for under 5 minutes without making a mistake, you really shouldnt be driving!!!

The point he was making is that he was not told what mistake he made, and neither was I when I did my first test.
    How do they expect you to fix a mistake, if they do not tell you what it is.

Advertisement