Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Was refused for Driving Test [smoked before]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭fizzynicenice

Oranage2 wrote: »
    anyway do all you smokers think its right for a non smoker driving inspector to have to deal with the smell of smoke? Say someone came to do the test with a serious BO problem and a really smelly car, should the inspector have to deal with that too?

....are you for real?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Tell him to challenge this.What an insufferable gob$hite of a man.As if it doesnt cost enough the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

The tester was right. Sitting in a car beside somebody who has just been smoking is obnoxious.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Evelynmc

LOL - corrupt?

now not to come across as trolling but the driving test is 35 minutes long - You can make 7 semi serious mistakes - now if you do the math, your allowed to make a mistake every 5 minutes!!!

now if you can drive for under 5 minutes without making a mistake, you really shouldnt be driving!!!

lol seriously m8, you input is no longer needed, your posts have nothing to do with my problem anyway.

maybe you should apply for a job as an inspector? you would fit right in! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 24,067 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Sonics2k wrote: »
    You mean we're not supposed to drive right over the grassy bit in the middle??

Well that's boring.

You're allowed to do it after you've passed your test, and anything else that takes your fancy, like jumping traffic lights or chasing pedestrians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Six of One

the driving inspectors are really fuzzy about appearance

Such cutsie inspectors! Top tip: Give their bellies a rub before a test for good luck!

OP- is your boyfriend going to make a complaint?

Six of One wrote: »
    Such cutsie inspectors! Top tip: Give their bellies a rub before a test for good luck!

OP- is your boyfriend going to make a complaint?

Not sure if he will or not, feckers arent open till monday i think =[

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Evelynmc wrote: »
    lol seriously m8, you input is no longer needed, your posts have nothing to do with my problem anyway.

maybe you should apply for a job as an inspector? you would fit right in! :p

Here's some advice - next time your boyfriend does his driving test - tell him not to smoke outside!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Here's some advice - next time your boyfriend does his driving test - tell him not to smoke outside!!!

Why not? It's not against the law to smoke. It's not against the law to smoke before you're driving test. It's not against regulations to smell of smoke whilst sitting your driving test. The tester was pretty much discriminating against a smoker. He can't just decide, on a whim, who he's going to facilitate.

• Advertisement

Agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Squirm

Where did i say he blew smoke into the inspectors face?

anyway do all you smokers think its right for a non smoker driving inspector to have to deal with the smell of smoke? Say someone came to do the test with a serious BO problem and a really smelly car, should the inspector have to deal with that too?

its a driving test, the boyfriend should have know that the driving inspectors are really fuzzy about appearance and hygiene and should have known not to come stinking of smoke!!!

You cannot be serious.

How do you know the boyfriend didn't show up wearing his best suit, car freshly valeted and waxed, spotless interior, 10 minutes early as requested? The fact that you know he is a smoker does not suggest anything further about his appearance or personal hygiene. Also, the fact that he had a cigarette, out of doors and in the fresh air, moments previously, does not mean he was "stinking of smoke". There was evidently a smell of smoke, but to suggest it was sufficient to warrent the tester to cancel the test on the ground of his personal health and safety. Bullsh*t.

And with regards having to contend with BO the odd time.... WTF?!?! Of COURSE he should have to deal with that if the situation occurs!! He's being PAID for Christ sake. If a co-worker has BO, smells of smoke when he gets back from his lunch break, has bad breath, is of untidy appearance, or whatever, do you think it warrants the rest of the staff heading home for the day or that particular staff member being discharged???

I sat my test last week and the car needed to be hoovered but my little girl was sick the day before the test and I didnt get a chance to hoover it. Should I have failed?? In fact, I might have even had a spot of dried vomit on my cardigan?? Maybe they should revoke my license??

The tester was being a wanker. Make a complaint. The test is now 85e and it's worth the effort I think. The fact that he- not his car- smelled of smoke, is irrelevant to his ability to drive or that piece of legislation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

fancy a smoke?

Oh, if anyone knows anybody who is a tester/instructor please ask them about this, would be interesting to hear what they say :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Where the hell do you suggest he smoke!?

Your post is moronic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Daisy!

OP make sure your boyfriend doesn't let this one go. I'm as anti smoking as they get but that is just ridiculous!! Make sure he reports that idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Squirm

If your tester smelled of smoke when they got in to your vehicle, would you be permitted to request a different tester I wonder? Seriously doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

The problem with complaining about how a driving test is conducted I imagine is the fact that there's no-one else there. It's your boyfriend's word against the testers.

Of course it's incredibly frustrating OP, but I think the most productive thing your boyfriend can do is try to forget about this and reapply immediately.

Good luck to him next time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Condatis wrote: »
    The tester was right. Sitting in a car beside somebody who has just been smoking is obnoxious.

Maybe, but it's not a health and safety issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

This thread has inspired me to become a driving test inspector person.

i shall refuse anyone who even smells vaguely of onions as the smell makes me gag, which could cause me to projectile vomit on the windscreen, in effect causing a health and safety issue.
    Smokers would be ok though.

On a serious note OP tell your bf to report the cúnt, that's just lousy. I was allowed to do my test with a broken brakelight- the instructor gave me 20 mins to get it fix nd then continued with the test, your bf just got a prick! I'm sure there'll be no-one there til monday either. I wonder can you request not to have the same instructor, who would probably find another stupid reason or "mistake" out of vengeance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

robinph wrote: »
    Maybe, but it's not a health and safety issue.

well

"However, any odor, including that from cigarettes, has the potential to trigger headaches, nausea, runny nose, or other illnesses."

so if the instuctor is sensitive to smoke odur you'd expect him to do have to put up with this?

http://health.msn.com/health-topics/addiction/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100187488

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Your bf should have said "I'll be back" then drove his car through their entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

well

"However, any odor, including that from cigarettes, has the potential to trigger headaches, nausea, runny nose, or other illnesses."

so if the instuctor is sensitive to smoke odur you'd expect him to do have to put up with this?

http://health.msn.com/health-topics/addiction/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100187488

So, you're saying that if the Instructor didn't like a particular brand of deodorant or perfume, even if lightly used, they should be allowed to refuse to do someone's test.

Or even, let's say someone had just eaten a banana, I personally cannot abide the smell of them, I truly hate them. Are you saying it would be okay for me to cancel someone's test, after a wait time of 3 to 6 months (depending on where you are), even though it will have absolutely no affect on how the driver performs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

well

I think the operative words here are any odor. If a person has so sensitive a constitution that the mildest of odours trigger nausea and the like, then he or she shouldn't work with the public! What if a tester had perfume allergies? Should he be allowed tell anyone wearing a scent to take a hike? What a ridiculous notion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Some of the olde school instructors are dicks. My then girl friend, now wife went for her second part motor bike test (Larger cc engine). She had already done an advanced rider training course and was due one final assesment from the guy who trains The Guards. She is a dam good biker.

She walked into the test centre, the tester peered at her over his paper at A GIRL IN BIKE GEAR!!!:eek: Snorted. Returned to his paper for a bit before crumpling it down and muttering "This wont take long". He followed her around a housing estate for a few minutes,called her in and failed her.
    She attempted to dispute this there and then as she had not even been taken on the road and she told him from his attitude that she felt he had failed her the moment he saw her but this all fell on deaf ears.
    Anyway two days later she finished her advanced training and told the cop what had happened and he said he would follow it up. Officially he was not entertained but within a week she had a retest from a young tester and she fassed with zero faults.

well

HAHA!... your so funny. Seriously, what about the fumes we have to breathe in everyday from all the shyte going on around us? Or if theres a brewery, thats giving off the smell of beer brewing? Or if a farmer has spread slurry? Should we ask them to stop just cos the smell "affects" us.. Go away would ya for christ sake.

The instructor didnt even leave the building. He could have at least been decent enough to go out and smell the car for himself. He would have seen that there was no smell in the car at all, as no1 has ever smoked in our car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

well

So basically what you're saying is, anyone who has any dealings with the public in the course of their job should get to pick and choose who they deal with. So doctors and nurses can refuse to treat someone because they smell of smoke, shop assistants don't have to serve people who smell of smoke. I was a barman for 10 years, I can imagine the reaction I'd get if I refused someone for smelling of smoke. If ever a series of posts deserved the rolleyes smile, it's yours.

Adyx wrote: »
    So basically what you're saying is, anyone who has any dealings with the public in the course of their job should get to pick and choose who they deal with. So doctors and nurses can refuse to treat someone because they smell of smoke, shop assistants don't have to serve people who smell of smoke. I was a barman for 10 years, I can imagine the reaction I'd get if I refused someone for smelling of smoke. If ever a series of posts deserved the rolleyes smile, it's yours.

I work in a shop and i have dealt with people smelling of pee, poo, sweat, drink you name it, i have had to put up with it.. i would be in serious trouble of i said "sorry i cant serve you cos you smell" i would expect a punch in the face tbh

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

well

Seriously, people like that are weak little whiners with yet another imaginary "illness".

Though what I'm smelling more is the pungent whiff of Troll

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

Advertisement