Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Was refused for Driving Test [smoked before]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Wibbs wrote: »
    Seriously, people like that are weak little whiners with yet another imaginary "illness".

I know the inspector is a guy but say the inspector was female and few months pregnant? should she have to deal with the smell of smoke? and if she doesnt then why should anyone have too?

also to the OP, how did the inspector see your boyfriend smoking? I know when i did mine there was no way the inspector could see outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Evelynmc

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I know the inspector is a guy but say the inspector was female and few months pregnant? should she have to deal with the smell of smoke? and if she doesnt then why should anyone have too?

also to the OP, how did the inspector see your boyfriend smoking? I know when i did mine there was no way the inspector could see outside.

My boyfriend was outside, inspector was in the test center building. He must have been looking out the window ready and waiting to be a complete dick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

windows! many buildings have them you know.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I know the inspector is a guy but say the inspector was female and few months pregnant? should she have to deal with the smell of smoke?
    Yep. She'd be pregnant not suddenly an invalid with issues.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Evelynmc wrote: »
    My boyfriend was outside, inspector was in the test center building. He must have been looking out the window ready and waiting to be a complete dick.

LOL, this instuctor sounds like a legend - probably just wanted the hour off.

Anyway this doesnt go against my point that smokers are obnoxious and deserve everthing they get!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Anyway this doesnt go against my point that smokers are obnoxious and deserve everthing they get!

I think people with your attitude are obnoxious and deserve everything they get.

BTW, thanks for cofirming that you did just see the word "smoker" and decide to go on a rant!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

The tester is a pathetic, whiny little bitch. Nothing tells me we're failing as a species like people having a strop over a smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The car I did my test in was driven for 3 hrs everyday. If I was short of cigs all I had to do was turn on the blower and I had a nicotine fix!

Though that was in 2001.....car is alot different now.

OP as long as thats exactly what happened make a formal complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

anyway do all you smokers think its right for a non smoker driving inspector to have to deal with the smell of smoke? Say someone came to do the test with a serious BO problem and a really smelly car, should the inspector have to deal with that too?
    Had a few smelly testers in the past. Had to leave the window open for the entire test to stop myself from gagging at the smell.
    ilovesleep wrote: »
    Driving tester: we can't discuss that. apply again. better luck next time.
    Naas, by any chance? Goto a different test center.
    so if the instuctor is sensitive to smoke odur you'd expect him to do have to put up with this?
    He should get a job that doesn't deal with the general public. As it is akin to saying that if the non-smoking driver stopped next to a car whose owner was smoking cigars, that the drivers test be canceled, as the tester was sensitive to the smoke odor.
    Sonics2k wrote: »
    So, you're saying that if the Instructor didn't like a particular brand of deodorant or perfume, even if lightly used, they should be allowed to refuse to do someone's test.

Or even, let's say someone had just eaten a banana, I personally cannot abide the smell of them, I truly hate them. Are you saying it would be okay for me to cancel someone's test, after a wait time of 3 to 6 months (depending on where you are), even though it will have absolutely no affect on how the driver performs.
    Yes, this is exactly what he is saying in his post.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm shipping this off to Learning to Drive as it's an issue that affects people doing the test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Quiet you

LOL, this instuctor sounds like a legend - probably just wanted the hour off.

There's someone obnoxious here alright and it's not the smokers. Who are you to tell anyone what to do or where to do it?

The smoking ban means that anyone that smokes can't smoke in an area where it can affect others health so that's that out of the way.

You may well have an issue with smokers but I'm positive that the vast majority of people have an issue with your health fascist attitudes. What an arrogant, narcissist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

ejmaztec wrote: »
    A lot of examiners are omnipotent fuckers.

Errrrrr...are you quite sure you know what omnipotent means ?

hint :

girl : you're omnipotent

you : I'm just tired and I've had a few drinks.

= not correct.

Also :

girl : you're impotent

you : oh yeah baby, what you see is what you get, and the all-powerful ME is what you're getting.

= not correct.

Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Cosimo Salvatore

This funny thread is funny. Some people are crazy. Some people are not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Squirm

I was one of those pregnant women prone to projectile vomiting at the first whiff of a bad smell. Ooh poor me. I'd better insist that the world work around my personal issue, rather than the other way around. Better yet, I should apply for Disability Allowance, just in case I smell something else I don't like that much, in the line of duty.
    Give it a rest. That cr*p gives pregnant women a bad name. Most of whom are eager to dispell the Victorian attitude that they're invalids for nine months and need to be babysat.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

As a non-smoker, I dislike people smoking in public places (bus stops, besides doors, etc.), but in this instance I think the OP's boyfriend should make a complaint to the RSA - smoking outside the car is definitely not enough grounds to cancel a test. It costs €75/€85 depending on when he booked it, so I would try and fight for it!

In fact, most people are usually nervous before a driving test, and I'd say it's quite a common occurrence for somebody to have a smoke beforehand. The tester over-reacted in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Just heard a story today about someone who was doing the test, can't remember if they were refused or failed, but basically were asked how they got to the test center, they obviously said they drove there, tester asked if they had a fully licences driver with them, they didn't. It was a no go after that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

ejmaztec wrote: »
    A lot of examiners are impotent fuckers.

Fixed for you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Sorry to drag this away from the joys of after hours chat but aren't testers not meant to mark people until the tests actually starts? Like for example the question that pops up alot about arriving on your own to the test center, the tester can't fail you for driving alone as they are only allowed mark you for actions during the test so surely if the OP's boyfriend was smoking before the test started the tester had no grounds to refuse to test him?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

ztoical wrote: »
    Sorry to drag this away from the joys of after hours chat but aren't testers not meant to mark people until the tests actually starts? Like for example the question that pops up alot about arriving on your own to the test center, the tester can't fail you for driving alone as they are only allowed mark you for actions during the test so surely if the OP's boyfriend was smoking before the test started the tester had no grounds to refuse to test him?

I would assume the examiner thought the OP's boyfriend was smoking in his car prior to his test. With the car being the testers working environment for 40 mins that would be grounds for the test to be cancelled. The OP's boyfriend shouldn't of smoked prior to the test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

Fair play to the inspector, he was just getting one back on the inconsiderate smokers, as a non smoker i have to put up with people blowing smoke into my face at bus stops, outside bars and loads more.

Maybe your boyfriend will be more considerate to others from now on!!!

"people blowing smoke into my face at bus stops, outside bars and loads more"..??? Get a grip will ya, I doubt any smoker is purposely directing the smoke towards you. Maybe somebody was blowing smoke in your face when you were reading this thread..? Tut tut :D

@ CaptainMorgan He has sent them a mail, he will also be on the radio tomoro on 96fm to talk about it, think he will be talking to Neil Prendeville

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Faith+1 wrote: »
    I would assume the examiner thought the OP's boyfriend was smoking in his car prior to his test. With the car being the testers working environment for 40 mins that would be grounds for the test to be cancelled. The OP's boyfriend shouldn't of smoked prior to the test.

If testers can refuse test because a driver smokes in their car why isn't that stated on the website/written material sent out with their test information?

Should point out I don't smoke, have never smoked and think it's a nasty habbit but this was a stupid reason for refusing the test. If the OP's BF does complain the Tester can't use 'he thought' as a defence he would have to prove it but it's a pointless argument anyway, it doesn't matter that the car is now the testers 'workplace' for those 40mins it's still a private area belonging to the OP otherwise by that logic if I ring a plumber and when he calls to my house he sees me smoking outside he can then refuse to do any work in my house as that would be his working enviroment for however long he's there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

If testers can refuse test because a driver smokes in their car why isn't that stated on the website/written material sent out with their test information?

Because all testers are a law un to themselves and can do what they want. Simple.

It is sent to you, All the info is in the Final Checks, this comes with the letter that you get for the date of your test. Check out Section 10m..

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/ADI/finalchecks.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭DUB777

Take it up with the RSA & demand a retest at your b/f's convenience & free of charge! That guy was being an @ssh0le. It might be a bit far or too much hassle but have a look for cctv cameras if he can get footage of him smoking outside the car then it will show the tester was being a discriminatory @ss. Smokers have rights too:D

DUB777 wrote: »
    Take it up with the RSA & demand a retest at your b/f's convenience & free of charge! That guy was being an @ssh0le. It might be a bit far or too much hassle but have a look for cctv cameras if he can get footage of him smoking outside the car then it will show the tester was being a discriminatory @ss. Smokers have rights too:D

Lol... Well there might be a phone call made to the RSA live on the radio tomoro, I hope so anyway, would be great cos that puts them under a small bit of pressure to resolve it :P I also pray the tester my bf dealt with happens to be listening haha

• Advertisement

Advertisement