Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miniature Bull Terrier dog wanted

• 26-03-2011 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi There, i'm looking for a miniature english bull terrier dog or puppy. All the sites that i go into are either in the UK or USA. Does anyone know of any here in Ireland?

Thanks

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Hi there, just to let you know, there is no such thing as a miniature bull terrier. 'Miniature' is a word used by breeders to make the pups sound cuter, when in reality a miniature is simply the runt of the litter. That runt is then bred to another runt and so on so forth until all of the puppies produced are runts, in complete disregard for their health of course.

Probably not what you want to hear, but if you are going for a bull terrier, why not consider a normal size bully from a responsible breeder?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭bullylover

There are Miniature Bull Terriers, they are shown and are bred as a miniature of the standard bull terrier.
    I got my English Bull Terrier in England, there are loads of reputable breeders in the uk. My bully has mini lines in her, from the Warbonnet Stud, as far as i know if you google it you will find their page.
    If not contact the Kennel Club, but bare in mind just because the kennel club registers pups doesnt mean they are healty pups.
    Their are tests that should be done to decrease the chances of blindness, deafness, skin problems etc for the bullies.
    Good luck in finding a pup:) pls post pics when ya do:)

Yes but they're about as 'real' as the Miniature Jack Russells and Miniature Yorkies, just because they're shown doesn't mean its a good idea to breed them. Look at all the problems we have with our normal breeds, why do people think things will get better by minimizing an animal that already has so many inherent problems by breeding miniaturism into them? Its like the Alaskan Malamutes lately- breeders have started breeding the biggest specimens to the biggest specimens to turn the mals into a giant breed, which is going to play havoc with their joints, cartilage and hearts. I can understand trying to breed traits out of them like inherent skin problems, diseases etc, but i dont understand these so-called miniatures, teacups, and toys.

I just cant understand why you would want one when the already well-established english bulls are such beautiful dogs already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

Sorry Shanao I think you are misunderstanding the info given by bullylover.

The Miniature Bull Terrier is recognised by the Kennel Club (Irish, UK & USA) as a distinct breed in it's own right & with it's own breed standard, in the same way as miniature & standard poodles or schnauzers.

Anita1234 - they would be rare enough & you might need to consider bringing a puppy in from UK if you are serious about the breed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Yes there is such thing as a miniature bull terrier, they are a recognised breed.

To be honest there arent too many in Ireland so i suggest you go to the UK to source a breeder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Shanao wrote: »
    Yes but they're about as 'real' as the Miniature Jack Russells and Miniature Yorkies, just because they're shown doesn't mean its a good idea to breed them. Look at all the problems we have with our normal breeds, why do people think things will get better by minimizing an animal that already has so many inherent problems by breeding miniaturism into them? Its like the Alaskan Malamutes lately- breeders have started breeding the biggest specimens to the biggest specimens to turn the mals into a giant breed, which is going to play havoc with their joints, cartilage and hearts. I can understand trying to breed traits out of them like inherent skin problems, diseases etc, but i dont understand these so-called miniatures, teacups, and toys.

I just cant understand why you would want one when the already well-established english bulls are such beautiful dogs already.

Shanao, you are mistaken im afraid. They are a recognised breed. They arent like the miniature yorkies or anything of the sort, completely different from that kind of miniature.

Sorry i know they're a recognised breed alright. I just really dont like the fact that they would breed a miniature bull terrier when they have such large heads. I just cant imagine that their origins came from very healthy dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

Shanao wrote: »
    Sorry i know they're a recognised breed alright. I just really dont like the fact that they would breed a miniature bull terrier when they have such large heads. I just cant imagine that their origins came from very healthy dogs.

From reading a little about the breeds history, the miniature bull terrier has been around for just as long as the standard - since the early 19th century. Because the dogs were originally bred as a cross of a variety of other breeds there was great variation in size and so the two sizes were maintained by breeders. Apparently there was also a "toy" version but this died out due to lack of popularity - presumably not "fit for purpose"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 s0m30n3

So are there any miniature Bull Terrier kennels in Ireland?
    Can you post links for any Bull Terrier Breeders around?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Al 25

hey can anyone out there help me , looking for minature english bull terrier any info would greatly appreciated , i know this thread went stale awhile back , but someone must breed or have a mini bull terrier in ireland

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭chris139ryan

get onto the irish kennel club and ask for a ger cox's number, he is the head of the bull terrier club in ireland. he has a mini bully. dont think there are any breeders in ireland so you would have to go to england for one but he would certainly point you in the right direction. i got my bull terrier through him and cant recommend him enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

get onto the irish kennel club and ask for a ger cox's number, he is the head of the bull terrier club in ireland. he has a mini bully. dont think there are any breeders in ireland so you would have to go to england for one but he would certainly point you in the right direction. i got my bull terrier through him and cant recommend him enough

I am a neighbour of Ger's He is definately the man to get onto about a bull terrier!!!
    :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭chris139ryan

gregers85 wrote: »
    I am a neighbour of Ger's He is definately the man to get onto about a bull terrier!!!
    :)

he has some dogs doesnt he

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

Oh Ya!!!!!! They are absolutely unbeleivable!!! I've always wanted one ever since I was young but as I grew older fell in love with German Shepherds haha

Advertisement