Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Ireland/Simplybe.ie

• 26-03-2011 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Just saved myself €60 in the space of 5 minutes.......

Bought Downton Abbey DVD on Amazon - price including delivery to Ireland €14.00 PRICE IN TESCO IRELAND €24.75

Got my sister in UK to order me a tracksuit and runners from simplybe.co.uk - price €100.00 PRICE ON SIMPLYBE.IE €150

OK so I have to collect the clothing items on my next trip to the UK at Easter - but all in all, I am pleased with my savings.

Giant retailer Tesco have no excuses for this blatant fleecing of it's Irish customers, and as for Simplybe.ie - Irish customers pay for delivery from the UK (the same depot that they dispatch goods to their UK customers - so what possible reason could there be to charge Irish customers up to 100% more on some products (£15.00 for Skechers runners on UK site and €33.49 on Irish equivalent)?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

If I saw a store charging the evel of exchange rate that you say simplybe chagres, I would in no way whatsoever purchase from them in any form whatsoever even in another currency. I would purchase from one of their direct competitors.

They are not the losers in this trasaction - they still made a healthy profit from you. The ONLY way you can change it is by boycotting their store entirely.

As for Tescio - this is unfair comparison. Amazon have tiny cost base and can operate on tiny margins. Tesco have huge retail costs. Also, its on special on Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Amanda7148

Correct on the Simplybe point. I won't be buying from them in the future.

However - this thread is all about Rip off Ireland remember - and if Tesco's overheads are so high - why are they selling in in their UK stores for £8.99?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Amanda7148 wrote: »
    Correct on the Simplybe point. I won't be buying from them in the future.

However - this thread is all about Rip off Ireland remember - and if Tesco's overheads are so high - why are they selling in in their UK stores for £8.99?

Selling what, or am I going blind?:confused:

On Amazon UK it is reduced from £24.99 to £7.99. In Tesco UK it also on offer reduced from £24.99.
    Plenty of UK sites selling it from £10 through to £33

You found a special offer. Totally unfair and unrealistic to compare a temporary special offer with normal retail price. Comparing Tesco Ireland €24.75 with Amazon's pre special offer price of £24.99 shows Amazon would be more expensive. Hence, would you say that if you bought it off amazon a few weeks ago, that amazon were ripping you off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Just saved myself €60 in the space of 5 minutes.......

Bought Downton Abbey DVD on Amazon - price including delivery to Ireland €14.00 PRICE IN TESCO IRELAND €24.75

Got my sister in UK to order me a tracksuit and runners from simplybe.co.uk - price €100.00 PRICE ON SIMPLYBE.IE €150

OK so I have to collect the clothing items on my next trip to the UK at Easter - but all in all, I am pleased with my savings.

Giant retailer Tesco have no excuses for this blatant fleecing of it's Irish customers, and as for Simplybe.ie - Irish customers pay for delivery from the UK (the same depot that they dispatch goods to their UK customers - so what possible reason could there be to charge Irish customers up to 100% more on some products (£15.00 for Skechers runners on UK site and €33.49 on Irish equivalent)?

To make money?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Amanda7148

sandin wrote: »
    On Amazon UK it is reduced from £24.99 to £7.99. In Tesco UK it also on offer reduced from £24.99.
    Plenty of UK sites selling it from £10 through to £33

You found a special offer. Totally unfair and unrealistic to compare a temporary special offer with normal retail price. Comparing Tesco Ireland €24.75 with Amazon's pre special offer price of £24.99 shows Amazon would be more expensive. Hence, would you say that if you bought it off amazon a few weeks ago, that amazon were ripping you off?

Where does it say that Tesco have reduced the price on their UK site from €24.99 - only I can't see that. The website I was looking at just said £8.99 with no previous higher price against it. My sister was at a Tesco in London today and she said it has the ticket at RRP £8.99 - there is no reduction against it. Is there more than one Tesco site for the UK? Sorry if I got this wrong. Here is the link I found the DVD under for Tesco UK.

http://www.tescoentertainment.com/store/dvd/downton-abbey--series-1/8%3a726948/

Also, if it had been a special offer - why can Irish customers not avail of this too?

I suppose it comes back to what has been said a lot previously - that Irish overheads are higher, which makes the products more expensive.

Where does it say that Tesco have reduced the price on their UK site from €24.99 - only I can't see that. The website I was looking at just said £8.99 with no previous higher price against it. My sister was at a Tesco in London today and she said it has the ticket at RRP £8.99 - there is no reduction against it. Is there more than one Tesco site for the UK? Sorry if I got this wrong. Here is the link I found the DVD under for Tesco UK.

http://www.tescoentertainment.com/store/dvd/downton-abbey--series-1/8%3a726948/

Also, if it had been a special offer - why can Irish customers not avail of this too?

I suppose it comes back to what has been said a lot previously - that Irish overheads are higher, which makes the products more expensive.

The chance are the UK distributor for the dvd & the Irish distributor are 2 different companies.

The UK rrp from virtually every site that sells it is £24.99, (The Irish rrp is €24.99 - therefore when it was released, were UK customers being ripped off?) so it is quite safe to assume that tesco uk used to sell it at this too.

It has been moved into the clearance section / sale section of many uk sites. This may have only happened recently and you could very well see it moved to clearance sections of Irish stores. The clearance list is usually created by the distributor rather than a store. The distributor reduces the price substantially, usually makes another load of them and gets a "second wave" of sales. Same sales format applies with most film releases & music cds. If you want to see / listen to it first, you pay more.

You did save nicely and this is why people should shop around, but I don't accept that as it was reduced in one store that another is ripping the consumer off.

On Simply Be you are 100% correct as they are purely making a joke of Irish customers by charging 30% more than if you were in Newry buying form the exact same company and being dispatched from the exact same warehouse, with exact same cost base. Monsoon are the same - £28 suddenly becomes €44, £55 becomes €80 etc. Same with Debenhams. But Coast, Karen Millen & Oasis are quite close to the average exchange rate at approx 1.25 conversion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yep 2 different distributors.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭dirtypanties

simplybe and oxendales-same company-are a total disgrace!this has been going on a long time-they should be boycotted their prices are extortionate-plus the obvious extra cost when you have an account with them and pay in installments-the reason they keep giving 20% codes is to make you think you are getting a deal but you are still paying more even with the codes!

Advertisement