Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cost of Farm Area measurement

• 26-03-2011 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Got a man to measure the area of my land (350acres) for the single farm payment and he wants to charge me €5 per acre or €1750. It took a day and a half, he operated the quantity surveying camera and I had to position the poll on the field perimeters at all times. .
    How much does this normally cost?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Sounds very expensive! He/She must still have his head in the Celtic Tiger years.

Did you not agree a price beforehand?

You could have used this one and done it yerself.
    http://www.acme.com/planimeter/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

wallycool wrote: »
    Got a man to measure the area of my land (350acres) for the single farm payment and he wants to charge me €5 per acre or €1750. It took a day and a half, he operated the quantity surveying camera and I had to position the poll on the field perimeters at all times. .

while ive never heard of anyone having to get land measured in order to comply with area aid payments ( goverment does that ) , guy down in cork who measures land and draws up farm maps , charges around 5 euro per acre , bertie troy is his name

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭theroad

Bertie Troy did our place three years ago, he charged around that too. Did it all himself on a quad bike with gps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭kay 9

****in hell, thats mad money lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

You could have spent €2.50 buying the app for the iphone and done it yourself. fairly accurate IMV but need a good signal. Why oh why did you need this mapping in such detail anyway, you must have money to burn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

You could have spent €2.50 buying the app for the iphone and done it yourself. fairly accurate IMV but need a good signal. Why oh why did you need this mapping in such detail anyway, you must have money to burn

Which app is that??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭st1979

App is areafinder. I got it free when it came out and found it to be very accurate. Found the iphone4 is better than the iphone 3 as it is quicker to get the most accurate setting and hold it but then it may of been the app been upgraded between me having the 3 and getting the 4. It has different accuracy settings with the best being below 10 meters but don't mind that its actually way better than that as i compared it to the area aid maps and to the guy doing the fert spreading that was using gps.
    Great app if your thinking of renting a bit of land as you can easily see what waste there is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,163 ✭✭✭nilhg

There's a distance and area app for android to if anyone is interested,

http://www.androidzoom.com/android_applications/tools/distance-and-area-measurement_ighf.html

The best tool for measuring areas and distances on farms I know of though is this,

http://spatial.dcenr.gov.ie/imf/imf.jsp?site=GSI_Simple

Just keep clicking on the area of the map you are interested in till you see the sat imagery, when you are at a comfortable zoom use the lenght or area tools up top to do your measurements, seems to be the same tool as the Teagasc folks use to do the REPS/SFP maps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

Its does seem pretty saucy, you should charge him €2 per acre for your work:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

nilhg wrote: »

http://www.androidzoom.com/android_applications/tools/distance-and-area-measurement_ighf.html

The best tool for measuring areas and distances on farms I know of though is this,

Just keep clicking on the area of the map you are interested in till you see the sat imagery, when you are at a comfortable zoom use the lenght or area tools up top to do your measurements, seems to be the same tool as the Teagasc folks use to do the REPS/SFP maps

man alive that is the handiest thing i have seen in years,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

how accurate are these devices? Both are telling me I have 1.88ha in a field
    where the area aid maps are showing 2.0ha .Over a 30ha block the difference is 2 ha.
    pat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Great if you have straight ditches as it measures in triangles not much good for rounded ditches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭John_F

but cant troy re map a farm e.g. make odd paddocks all the same, cant seem to do that with this one in the link???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,163 ✭✭✭nilhg

Great if you have straight ditches as it measures in triangles not much good for rounded ditches.

There is no limit to the amount of points you can put in, how accurate it is will depend on how much time you want to spend.

I sowed "3" acres of grass seed for a neighbour, couldn't understand how I ran out, this map showed me that it was a 3.75 acre field.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

I think that it is a handy tool but there is no way I would take it's numbers as absolutely correct or gospel

For example hills will have an effect on area when you are measuring in 2D or am i missing something in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

There is no limit to the amount of points you can put in, how accurate it is will depend on how much time you want to spend.

I sowed "3" acres of grass seed for a neighbour, couldn't understand how I ran out, this map showed me that it was a 3.75 acre field.......
    Yes I figured that out after a while it might not be 100% accurate but it isn't far off. It beats trying to pace a field and is a lot faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

just thought i d bring this up again since some of you might be taking ground for silage or sowing crops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭jm99

Any one know of a similiar app for nokia. cant seem to find anything in Ovi store.

Did come across an app called grass master. didnt buy it do(dont do much grass measuring)it was 2 euro. Think its for recording your grass covers in each paddock/field and then give you the totals and graphs at the end

• Registered Users Posts: 22 SharkWound

So much for being 360 acres, you must have sold a few sites on the side ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 tack365

st1979 wrote: »
    App is areafinder. I got it free when it came out and found it to be very accurate. Found the iphone4 is better than the iphone 3 as it is quicker to get the most accurate setting and hold it but then it may of been the app been upgraded between me having the 3 and getting the 4. It has different accuracy settings with the best being below 10 meters but don't mind that its actually way better than that as i compared it to the area aid maps and to the guy doing the fert spreading that was using gps.
    Great app if your thinking of renting a bit of land as you can easily see what waste there is

That app is €5.99 now in AppStore. Seems good though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 timothyl

Hi.
    i have almost 15 years experience in land surveying and use both gps & edm systems.
    while all the suggestions of using an iphone may work the accuracy will not be as good as surveying equipment. gps on iphones are not RTk solutions
    to be honest my fees are 350inc vat per day on the ground and 25euro per hour on the computer drawing it up. using both gps & edm. this charge covers. the 350inc vat per day this covers setting out and surveying. im based in cork would charge a small fee for fuel if out side a 100k radius of home. this guy is defo living in the celtic tiger days. if i was getting what he was charging id be very well off. a 350 acre farm with gps would take around 1.5 days on the ground and about 3hours in the office drawing it up. the systems i use are one man operations. i find that using a quad only complicates it. i used one for a while but only use one for contouring now.

one question was his price inc vat or excl

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭wallycool

timothyl wrote: »
    Hi.
    i have almost 15 years experience in land surveying and use both gps & edm systems.
    while all the suggestions of using an iphone may work the accuracy will not be as good as surveying equipment. gps on iphones are not RTk solutions
    to be honest my fees are 350inc vat per day on the ground and 25euro per hour on the computer drawing it up. using both gps & edm. this charge covers. the 350inc vat per day this covers setting out and surveying. im based in cork would charge a small fee for fuel if out side a 100k radius of home. this guy is defo living in the celtic tiger days. if i was getting what he was charging id be very well off. a 350 acre farm with gps would take around 1.5 days on the ground and about 3hours in the office drawing it up. the systems i use are one man operations. i find that using a quad only complicates it. i used one for a while but only use one for contouring now.

one question was his price inc vat or excl
    He done it 4 a grand all in in the end. What i did find out after was the department of agri can do it very accurate from there computer mapping sistem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

just came across this site, http://www.farm-file.com/index.html, for creating farm maps.
    had a play around with the free trail, looks ok.
    any one ever use it, or know anything about it.
    has a business adress in Mayo

Advertisement