Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"One of the USB devices connected has malfunctioned..."

• 26-03-2011 4:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭

The full message is "One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it." Clicking the bubble just says to try reconnecting and after that replace the device.

It's a 1.5TB harddrive and is pretty much full so would rather not have to replace it. :pac: Guessing it's screwed, or has anyone got a method to try to fix it, Windows is giving no options.

EDIT: Would deleting the drivers while it's connected and then re-connecting be a good idea?
    EDIT 2: The HD was fine about 3 days ago. Earlier today (nothing was connected) the laptop switched off without shutting down and some files were corrupted so I assume it's to do with that. Doesn't seem right though that the HD won't work when connected to another laptop though.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

Could be a few things.

If the USB ports on your PC are functioning fine otherwise, then possibly a problem with the hard drive, or more likely, the caddy it's in, if it's in one.

If it's in a caddy, you could try taking it out, and connecting directly to PC motherboard, like you normally would with a hard drive.

Also, try using a different cable.

After that, if it was me, I'd be looking at trying a live CD, like Knoppix, to see if it can mount the hard drive.

These things can fail, so you'll have to weigh the effort at trying to get it working against the value of the data on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Tried the HD with two different cables on the Xbox 360 and it's fine. Also another HD is working fine on all 3 of the USB ports on the laptop.

Just plugged it in and it's not even being recognised let alone getting a message that it's malfunctioning. Sigh.

End now it's working. This is all very confusing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

Might have just been a dirty connection, either on one of the cables, or on the drive or usb ports.

The action of unplugging/plugging may have cleaned them enough to resume normal functioning.

If you have important/irreplaceable data on it, be sure to back it up now that it's working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

polyfusion wrote: »
    Might have just been a dirty connection, either on one of the cables, or on the drive or usb ports.

The action of unplugging/plugging may have cleaned them enough to resume normal functioning.

If you have important/irreplaceable data on it, be sure to back it up now that it's working.

I plugged and unplugged it at least 20 times, rebooted the computer and swapped cables and ports but none of that worked. Only worked after being in the Xbox. Anyway, I'm not one to complain that something is working. :pac:

Advertisement