Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strawberry Fest Enniscorthy.

Options
  • 26-06-2010 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭

Was in Enniscorthy last night,the Strawberry Fair is a pale and depressing imitation of what it used to be.Had an American friend with me and he was of the same opinion-there seemed to be more Gardai and security than what you get at Oxegen but no atmosphere.Drinking on the street was banned,this was part of the fun.Fair enough there was always the usual scumbags that abused this but the vast majority of people enjoyed a few jars while taking in the music.Organisers may get with the times or it's goodbye Strawberry Fair-old tired ideas for a modern time.BTW the band was good but crowd dead.Is the craic gone out of the country?:( It seemed the entertainment was geared towards getting people into the pubs,what's the point in having a festival if everybody is in the pub and not on the street enjoying it-this trend started when brewerys started sponsoring the event.A street festival should be on the streets and for everybody.The Fair needs an injection of new ideas and fun or it's bye bye.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

yea, - looks like bye bye Strawberry Fair .

In a country full of regulation , we can't even go into the pubs anymore .- Have one pint and you can lose everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

My original post may have given the impression that drinking during the fair is the be all and end all.I like a few pints as much as the next man but each to their own,thought I'd get that in before the pioneers jump on me.But like it or not drink plays an integral part of any Irish party.Last night encapsulated the modern day Strawberry Fair-no fun,no atmosphere and the apathetic crowd being babysat.Maybe next year they should hold it in Tehran.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Blame An Garda!
    The Garda insisted on no drinking in the Square and the Security to police it.

This large Security is one of the main expenses of the Fair - cost in the thousands. Of course The Echo charge €900 to display the photo's of the Princess' - I thought the Strawberry Fair was local news but the Echo don't. Not much local support there.

At a guess, if 8k is wasted on the Echo & excessive Security then theres not much in the kitty for headline bands. I expected great things this year for 1500 celebrations.

I was in the Square last night and was absolutely shocked at the Security presence. There was almost more security than audience. The band were very good, it was a real pity the crowd wasn't there.

Drinking cans in the Square was part of the street festival. Most adults could enjoy themselves without causing a riot. Most people remember bar extensions & drinking on Slaney Street - happy memories.

Alast the Strawberry Fair is the salmon swimming against the tide of local aphathy. Many Towns have copied the Fair - Gorey, Bunclody, New Ross. Then there are the numerous Agricultural Shows and Vintage Rallies. So theres something on in most towns & villages over the summer.

I'd argue that the town needs the Fair, it put us on the map. Its important to be on the map in a recession. Maybe the town could attract investment / development.

I for one would miss free entertainment, the first and potentially the best, viva Strawberry Fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

RKQ wrote: »
    Blame An Garda! At a guess, if 8k is wasted on the Echo & excessive Security then theres not much in the kitty for headline bands. I for one would miss free entertainment, the first and potentially the best, viva Strawberry Fair.

We are over regulated, over policed, yet criminals get free reign. There would have been a time when papers like the Echo would have sponsored the event, but sponsorship is a loss making exercise and it's only losers who sponsor anything today.

I've been in and around marketing for 25 years and sponsorship is never met with a return, Guinness started to pull sponsorship as the truth dawned on them a few years ago.

Irish people in general seem to go out of their way not to support sponsors: Sponsors, in return also expect too much and their support is sometimes actually damaging.

Final rant: Make a festival to draw huge crowds: Gardai close down the town or village and allow no parking within 300 hundred miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I would have thought, from living only yards from The Market Square, that we don't need the Strawberry Festival for an excuse for public drunkeness - enough of that every night. That said, the Strawberrry Festival is, to me, an embarrassment right up there with the woeful St.Patrick's Day parade and I wouldn't bring a visitor near it.

• Advertisement

Why can't the Fair be moved back down to Abbey Square and amusements,stalls etc. to the prom-it was better that way cos everythings central.And spend money on decent music.I remember a couple of years ago local djs offered to do a set at night for free but the commitee rejected it,they prefer country music to cater for the older crowd who seem not to spend money when at the fair.Old music for old people,no wonder theres apathy toward the fair.New blood needed at commitee level to listen to what people want for The Strawberry Fair.Just look at The Sea Festival in Bundoran this weekend in comparison,free music and major bands and musicians if you want to pay to see them.Be a pity to see our fair die but as it is theres nothing to attract the younger crowd who are the future.The headline act tonight is folk and country music-no thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Afew interesting points above, many I agree with.
    Maybe the Committee needs new blood with fresh music ideas etc. But they are all hard working volunteers. How many of use are interested on a wet or frosty January night?

A free Fair is free entertainment for all the family. Improvements are certainly needed.
    The music this year could be a lot better. I wish there was an easy solution.

Just in from a packed Market Square. Kids rally enjoyed the disco - lots of free spot prizes including 20 MP3 players. Kids delighted to see Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Barney, Baby Bop, Dora, Bob the Builder, Tiger, Winnie the Pooh & Elmo. All free family entertainment. Great crowd.

No doubt the kids will enjoy the fun fair tonight. We'll pop down to the Square for a look. I'd assume they could be quite a few people drinking bottles of coke.

The "no alcohol barriers" remind me of "Check point Charlie". A border crossing installed by an auster Government that ultimately failed. No point passing thru Check point Charlie if you can't try smuggling!:)

I've heard the Security have checked peoples bags - which is a disgrace. These "Security" are not Customs, they have no legal right to search your bag. Any Solicitors around here to comment?

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

I hate the fair, always have.

I don't mean to discriminate or stereotype but I hate all the travelers and the trouble they bring with them. You can't even walk down the street without one of them trying to start on you. I was turning up by the duffry gate today coming from gala and one of them in the van sped up and tried to hit the side of my car.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

I'm a bit ambivalent about the fair. It certainly had the crowds back in the 70s when the Abbey Square was awash with people, but a week-long festival was always going to be hard to sustain. Back then, of course, the late closing of the bars meant it was a good week for the drinkers, but for the rest it was fairly thin fare and the music was without exception awful old bollocks. What I miss most about the fair, though, is the old headlines that would appear without in the Echo. In the week following the fair the banner headline would be: "Strawberry fair best ever", while around November there would be one that read: "Future of the Fair in doubt", every year without fail. Ah, such innocent times...

Another fair over and another step nearer oblivion,it's no more than a glorified field day at this stage.Tired old ideas and tired old music,I mean who the hell wants to hear a showband on a festival stage these days-it's not 1965 anymore.At least the the usual suspects stayed away cos they couldn't drink on the street and cause trouble and ruin the fair for decent folk.Anyone got any ideas to improve the fair or should we just call time on it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

I would have been a sceptic but my young lad thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of the fair this year - afternoon kids entertainment, a few spins on the bumpers and we had him at the rock band last night which he really enjoyed.

So it made me think that whilst maybe I've grown out of it there's certainly something there for someone to enjoy.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

The Strawberry fair is dead and has been for a long time the committe and organisers need to go and a younger group geared at modern music and Entertainment need to be found. The fair is too spread out around the town having the childrens Amusements in a field up at Bellefield GAA is stupid. Why not have the 1500 parade that was in town a few months ago tied into the Strawberry fair and include closing ceramony with a big fireworks display last night. The next big event in town is the Blackstairs blues why not include that in the strawberry fair this year.

Enniscorthy town council. Enniscorthy lions club, Enniscorthy Publicians, Enniscorthy Strawberry fair orginisers, Enniscorthy Gardai Get on a bus together and head down to New Ross for some Ideas to save the Strawberry fair.

Look at this

http://www.jfkdunbrodyfestival.com/index.php?view=categoryevents&id=1%3Ajfk-dunbrody-festival-2010&option=com_eventlist

Compared to this

http://www.wexfordstrawberryfestival.com/events/sat/

http://www.wexfordstrawberryfestival.com/events/sun/

As I said,turning into glorified field day,you can't criticise the kids entertainment but thats easy to pull off-a few cd's,games and characters to entertain the little ones.Its the entertainment aimed at adults that falls on it's arse and the gardai along with security that treat adults like kids don't help.Its meant to be a festival for everyone but the level of apathy towards it is amazing.The amount of adults that attend just cos kids are pestering them is huge,theres nothing else to draw them there and more important tempt them to return.How many people will you meet this week that will say they enjoyed the Strawberry Fair?

How many people will you meet this week that will say they enjoyed the Strawberry Fair?

I enjoyed the band last night... certainly better than Jedward :eek:

I'm not arsed with the fun fair, stalls or boozing... I had my fill in my glory days before mortgages, household bills and kids came along.

It could be better... that's for sure... but I don't expect much out of it to start with so my expectations are never too hard to satisfy.

Thats the problem,peoples expectations are so low that anything above mediocraty is a bonus.Im too old and sensible for Jedward myself but at least New Ross are pushing the boat out to cater for people.You summed it up perfectly when you said you couldn't be arsed.Thats the attitude of many people that is killing the event.The Coronas playing at Dunbrody Festival are a great band though.Wonder how many of the Strawberry Fair commitee will be in New Ross on a fact finding mission or maybe the "modern music" would be too noisy:D:D

jpb1974 wrote: »
    I enjoyed the band last night... certainly better than Jedward :eek:

Not many people like JEDWARD but they would attract thousands of people with young kids to a place like Patricks park in Enniscorthy. The fair organisers could do what is been done in Newross and Charge €5 admission fee to cover the Security staff. To keep the Strawberry alive and to keep up with other Events in the county over the Summer months Enniscorthy town council. Enniscorthy buisness people, Enniscorthy lions club, Enniscorthy Publicians, Enniscorthy Strawberry fair orginisers, Enniscorthy Gardai. will need to sit down with the younger Generation of the town to organise future Strawberry fairs.

If the strawberry fair was to get the Likes of JEDWARD charge an Admission fee pay the Security staff i am fairly sure there would be enough Money left over to go towards another big act to headline next years fair and so on and so on. Also keep the old style Country and western music free for a late afternoon on Sunday in the square or even a stage in the old Dunnes stores car park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Well I'm glad it's over - the music (?) yesterday was hideous - and living close by I can now return to relative peace and quiet.

Or maybe the mart car park:D Anyone got Louis Walshes phone number? Thank God that Glastonbury was on the telly,wonder if any of those acts would be interested in coming over when their sets are finished? Im sure they've heard of The Strawberry Fair.On a serious note we need the young generation on board to organise it in future but unfortunately in my experience any forward thinking in Enniscorthy is shot down! The Flat Earth Society reigns supreme,rather let the town die than move forward and innovate.:(

Moving forward and innovation is grand.. but it takes a number of things -

(1) People with good ideas
    (2) People motivated & driven to implement them
    (3) People with good management and organizational capabilities
    (4) Money

Finding all 4 won't be easy.

The fact of the matter is that The Strawberry Fair started at a time when you got an apple and an orange for Christmas and in the times we live in it's extremely hard for it to keep up without decent financial backing. Hedging your bets on Jedward to fund a better all-round show... wel it might work but who's supposed to front the money and take the risk?

Moving forward and innovation is grand.. but it takes a number of things -

(1) People with good ideas
    (2) People motivated & driven to implement them
    (3) People with good management and organizational capabilities
    (4) Money

Finding all 4 won't be easy.

The fact of the matter is that The Strawberry Fair started at a time when you got an apple and an orange for Christmas and in the times we live in it's extremely hard for it to keep up without decent financial backing. Hedging your bets on Jedward to fund a better all-round show... wel it might work but who's supposed to front the money and take the risk?

The Dunbrody festival is only a few years old and it's now an example of how the Strawberry fair should be.
    JEDWARD is just an example of a headline act

http://www.jfkdunbrodyfestival.com/index.php?view=categoryevents&id=1%3Ajfk-dunbrody-festival-2010&option=com_eventlist.

It's the local busniess people and pubs that makes the profits from the Strawberry fair each year. It's these buisness people who should contribute some money to attract well known groups.

• Advertisement

It's these buisness people who should contribute some money to attract well known groups.

Well they're obviously not so maybe there lies the root of the problem?

Maybe some of the (disgruntled?) people posting on this thread need to get involved, get on the committee, make a contribution and ultimately try and make a difference?

Theres plenty of decent acts out there to take part in the festival,Im sure New Ross and other towns hosting festivals aren't flush with cash but in taking a risk they reap the rewards.This year is meant to be the 1500 celebrations,why didn,t they incorporate the parade which was actually very good into the fair? That alone attracted a massive crowd the night it was held.I personally can remember people approaching the Fair organisers with new ideas only to be shot down.This attitude has always been in the town. THE NEW TESCO STORE ANYONE.The local businessmen(not all of them btw)got what they wanted there-that really helped as everyone got in their cars and shopped elsewhere.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi2Cd2eDOZY

Strawberry fair 2010

Friday Night main act market square Boru
    Saturday night main act market square luan Parle
    Sunday night main acts market square Thunderstruck and later Bluemoose

Compared to

Dunbrody festival

http://www.jfkdunbrodyfestival.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=1

why didn,t they incorporate the parade which was actually very good into the fair?
    I dunno... lack of vision, not putting all their eggs into one basket... one could speculate all day but you really should approach someone on the committee and ask them directly because unless one of them post here you're possibly not going to get an accurate answer.
    THE NEW TESCO STORE ANYONE
    OT but - a new Tesco would be nice... but the town centre would completely die and let's face it... it's bad enough as it is.

Strawberry fair 2010

Friday Night main act market square Boru
    Saturday night main act market square luan Parle
    Sunday night main acts market square Thunderstruck and later Bluemoose

Compared to

Dunbrody festival

http://www.jfkdunbrodyfestival.com/i...tpage&Itemid=1
    Ya... I think we've registered that at this stage.

With all the excitement about Jedward,I nearly missed that Crystal Swing are on the bill:eek::D:D:D:D:D Looking forward to seeing them headline Strawberry Fair in 2020.

Ya... I think we've registered that at this stage.

Thank God for that
    i thought i was not getting through to people here about how poorly orginised and behind times our beloved Strawberry fair has turned out.

Thank God for that
    i thought i was not getting through to people here about how poorly orginised and behind times our beloved Strawberry fair has turned out.

Ya... have you seen the line up for the Dunbrody festival by any chance?

http://www.jfkdunbrodyfestival.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=1

http://www.wexfordstrawberryfestival.com/contact/ Why don't you post the link to dunbrody festival there instead of being arsey here.People such as Scaller are merely making comparisons between a much improving festival and the decline of one which used to be the biggest and the best in the South East let alone Co.Wexford. The fair was a big deal to many people and I myself have many good memories of it,shame to see it in terminal decline.

• Advertisement

Advertisement