Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strawberry Fest Enniscorthy.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Any feedback from last night? Couldn't make it myself and wondering how Ali Cambell went down?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

I was there. He was very good, still got the voice despite what some posters have said in this thread.

Just blown away by the whole fair this year tbh. Defo the way forward. I challenge any of the naysayers to go up there and I bet it would change their minds.

Just out the door now to see Cry Before Dawn and Saw doctors. Was at Jedward today and the kids went bananas, great booking and I seen no one getting squashed or trampled:rolleyes:

According to South East Radio there was a crowd of 12,000 there to see the Sawdoctors on Sunday night.

Overall I'd say the Fest was a success,now it's over to the organisers to make next years even bigger and better.I don't think they'll have any problems now that people have seen what they did this year.

One small gripe-it was a mistake having the exit from the concert area leading into the amusements,the congestion was a nightmare.

Heard the Ali Cambell ended up singing for another 90 minutes in Treacys bar after his stint in the Showgrounds,fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 UBd

Can't get over the "huge" amount of positive reviews for the Ali Campbell gig! :p:p:p There are so many of them that Boards.ie must have opened a seperate thread.... I just can't find it! Shame it's the same promoters next year.... hopefully their advertising is a bit more straight next time.

the real UB40 playing in Ireland in a few weeks, performing their biggest hits and hopefully songs from their forthcoming album (due around November) (not the infamous ex singer who has since cancelled another batch gigs around the world)

here's what they had to say about him...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4RvS241x1Y&feature=player_embedded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

UBd wrote: »
    Can't get over the "huge" amount of positive reviews for the Ali Campbell gig! :p:p:p There are so many of them that Boards.ie must have opened a seperate thread.... I just can't find it! Shame it's the same promoters next year.... hopefully their advertising is a bit more straight next time.

the real UB40 playing in Ireland in a few weeks, performing their biggest hits and hopefully songs from their forthcoming album (due around November) (not the infamous ex singer who has since cancelled another batch gigs around the world)

here's what they had to say about him...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4RvS241x1Y&feature=player_embedded

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/faq.php?faq=bie_faq_how#faq_bie_faq_how_youtube :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Can't get over the "huge" amount of positive reviews for the Ali Campbell gig!

Are you from the town? Did you attend the gig? Have you spoken to any folk that attended the gig?

Everyone I talked to seemed to thoroughly enjoy the Strawberry Fest and, from what I've been told, the Ali Campell gig was very well received.

I think it's time to stop frowning on the festival and hope that next year's can be as equally good, if not better.

Thanks Judgement Day!! :D:o

jpb.... i'm not from "the town" but from the general catchment area..... was the festival for townfolk only?

I now a few that went to Jedward and Coronas, I know even more that didn't go that wanted to go until they realised that the advertisements had "fooled" them!

I'm sure that those "thousands" who seen Ali and didn't admit to it had a great time........

They'll have an even better time when they go and see the real UB40 in Navan in a few weeks...... :D:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

was the festival for townfolk only?

Nope
    I know even more that didn't go that wanted to go until they realised that the advertisements had "fooled" them!

How many?
    I'm sure that those "thousands" who seen Ali and didn't admit to it had a great time........

How sure? You'll need to explain further.
    They'll have an even better time when they go and see the real UB40 in Navan in a few weeks

Can't say I know anyone from the general catchment area that's attending but I hope that whoever attends has a good time.

At this stage I personally couldn't give two flying phucks as to whether it was the 'real' or 'fake' UB40. The majority of people that I know went to see Ali Campell and enjoyed it... my mother included.

No idea why you feel the need to keep harping on about your grievances at this stage.. what's done is done.. time to move on and hope for the best next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Ian7

UBd wrote: »
    Can't get over the "huge" amount of positive reviews for the Ali Campbell gig! :p:p:p There are so many of them that Boards.ie must have opened a seperate thread.... I just can't find it

The majority of people who attended the gig or festival probably don't use boards.ie. This ain't no Faceboook.

glad ur mother had a good time! :D some people drink dutch gold and think it's the nicest beer in the world! some people think becomming a vegan is the way forward! Some people think Gadaffi was a good leader!

Each to their own, but being educated and knowing facts never did anyone any harm :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Mod Note

PLEASE tell me I am not reading posts complaining about UB40/its not the real UB40/It is the real UB40. Please? Must be tiredness, because if it was a repeat of before, I wouldn't be as nice dealing with it.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

The 1st few acts have been named for this years Strawberry Fest 2012
    1st June -3rd June'
    MAVERICK SABRE. THE ORIGINAL RUDEBOYS AND MIKILL PAIN.

+1 for MAVERICK SABRE.

scaller wrote: »
    The 1st few acts have been named for this years Strawberry Fest 2012 1st June -3rd June'
    MAVERICK SABRE. THE ORIGINAL RUDEBOYS AND MIKILL PAIN.

+1 for MAVERICK SABRE.

1. Maverick Sabre.... ok, but not everybody's cup of tea
    2. The original rudeboys.....God help us
    3. Mikill Pain......who?

If the rest of the line up is in the same vein as these acts i'm glad i didn't buy early bird tickets.:rolleyes:

cheers zerks. It's not for me though.

Good show on Channel 4 last night about Maverick Sabre. His accent is weird though, a thick New Ross/London hybrid. If you heard him speak, or even just looked at him, you would never match him to the voice.

He seems to be on a roll right now and with his album just being released he could be at a peak come June.

Great booking for the Strawberry Fair. I have no doubt that if Oxegen had been going on this year, he would have been one of the big acts at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

Great booking for the strawberry fest in Mick Stafford, but am I the only one who thinks it would have been better suited for him to do Dunbrody Fest? Or maybe he is dunno....

I'd say he'll play for whoever pays him:p

That is unless the Strawberry fair has a stipulation in his contract stating that he can't play within a certain radius for a certain time frame. This may be the case, as the last thing a promoter who has invested a large sum of money wants is for an act he's booked to be playing another gig that might take away from the crowd at their own gig, and risk him losing his shirt.

Who could blame him if he did, money is money :D

That's true. Although did Jedward play Strawberry Fest same time as Dunbrody Fest last year or the one before?

The defo played the Dunbrody in 2010, I'm not sure about last year. They absolutely packed the Strawberry Fest last year, the kids bloody love them!

• Advertisement

TheChevron wrote: »
    The defo played the Dunbrody in 2010, I'm not sure about last year. They absolutely packed the Strawberry Fest last year, the kids bloody love them!

Yeah they played Dunbrody last year too.

http://www.jfkdunbrodyfestival.com/

A friend told me the other day that he had heard a few rumours that the Sunday Act would be "massive". That's about all the detail I got but it got me thinking....for a bit of craic we should get a few guesses goin....the first name that came to my mind and maybe following in a similar vein as last years headliner was.....The Waterboys. Anyone else have any guesses or even the name of an act that you'd like to see? Personally, I'd love to see The Frames play the Sunday night.

Ian7 wrote: »
    A friend told me the other day that he had heard a few rumours that the Sunday Act would be "massive". That's about all the detail I got but it got me thinking....for a bit of craic we should get a few guesses goin....the first name that came to my mind and maybe following in a similar vein as last years headliner was.....The Waterboys. Anyone else have any guesses or even the name of an act that you'd like to see? Personally, I'd love to see The Frames play the Sunday night.

It's U2:pac: Sure aren't Bono's inlaws only living out the road.He could stay with them and get the band down to play a few songs.

On a serious note,I'm delighted the organisers are fulfilling their promise of trying to grow the festival.For too long it was allowed to stagnate and become simply an inconvenience in the middle of the town.
    The acts will become bigger and bigger each year and going on last year I could see that interest in the Festival had come back among people.There were still a good few who were sceptical but now having seen how good it was they'll be attending this year.

zerks wrote: »
    It's U2:pac: Sure aren't Bono's inlaws only living out the road.He could stay with them and get the band down to play a few songs.

On a serious note,I'm delighted the organisers are fulfilling their promise of trying to grow the festival.For too long it was allowed to stagnate and become simply an inconvenience in the middle of the town.
    The acts will become bigger and bigger each year and going on last year I could see that interest in the Festival had come back among people.There were still a good few who were sceptical but now having seen how good it was they'll be attending this year.

Hopefully it will become a major event in the country. But it will still have to keep the tradition of the Bandstand and the Didly Didly music for the market square a long with all the fringe events that goes with the Strawberry Fair/Fest. This year the Leinster Fleadh, is to be staged in Enniscorthy over the weekend July 14/15. It would have made more sense to have the Fest the weekend before or the weekend after the Fleadh. Turn both events into 1 week and from Mon - Thurs have the usual mix of local and show band type of music to cater for the locals who enjoy the Bandstand in the square.

You do know that in Enniscorthy,the words Organisation and Sense don't belong together.

zerks wrote: »
    You do know that in Enniscorthy,the words Organisation and Sense don't belong together.

+1

It was well shown last year when the closing ceremony for the towns Birthday celebrations and the strawberry fair were not on in the same week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Southeast Gravecare Services

I hear this years fair is to be the biggest and beast yet,.The younger people last year compaired it to a mine Oxegen Festival, that can only be good for Enniscorthy.

maybe I was a bit hasty in slating the acts earlier in this thread. I apologize. What I should have said was I really hope the festival is a success this year. There will probably be other good acts announced soon anyway for the other days so hears hoping for the best for the fest!

I was at the launch last night in the D Bar. The Kanyu Tree were playing, I only ever heard one of their songs and the wouldnt be my cup of tea.
    All the usual suspects were there, the Mayor and the chief whip included.

Full line up was announced.

Friday:
    Maverick Sabre
    The Original Rudeboys
    Mikill Pane
    Rob Kelly
    Knights of Leon

Saturday:
    Status Quo
    Keywest
    The Minutes
    The Barley Mob

Sunday:
    Amelia Lily
    Marcus Collins
    Extreme Rhythm
    Thunderstruck

The Saw Doctors
    Bressie
    The Kanyu Tree
    The Complete Stone Roses

http://www.2012.strawberryfest.ie/

Kinda surprised with them booking the Saw Doctors again didnt think they were all that last year but i suppose they have a certain following.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭haron

saw doctors weren't great last year but i thought it was a sound issue.. nice to see that there tryin to make a go of the new look strawberry fair

Advertisement