Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strawberry Fest Enniscorthy.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003828745897&ref=ts

Going to be down there for my 1st time ever for the festival, My Fighter is the Main event at this show above so can't wait, Then hopefully off to celebrate the Title win after, Whats on Sunday night worth doing after this?

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

If you miss the music in The Showgrounds,which you probably will due to the Cage Fighting then head to D-Bar @ Treacy's Hotel,they have a post festival party with some of the acts performing live.It'll be the place to be on Sunday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Pity about the weather today and it has got really nasty in the last hour or so. "The Farmers Market" in the Abbey Square was buzzing this morning and it's on again tomorrow from 10.00am - an expanded special event.

market%2B003.JPG

market%2B002.JPG

market%2B005.JPG

A great place to do the weeks' grocery shopping and more! Hope the weather picks up for tomorrow. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

Does anyone know how it went last night? Was there any trouble , were the crowds up or down ?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

The talk on the Town and on FaceBook is not good about the Fest this year. Lots of very unhappy local people in the town. it seems that the organisers didn't learn from their mistakes last year regarding the security. Family's with Prams/Buggys been stopped and searched, Soft drinks been taken from children, and umbrellas been taken off people in the rain.And this is at the funfair. The people of the town dont like the heavy handiness of the security. There are lots of complaints from locals regarding the parking around the Ross rd. Patrick Street/place. The Fair green car-park is over run with traders.
    South east radio will be interesting next week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

Can we get back to the Strawberry Fest?

Maybe take it to Consumer Issues or someplace like that.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭andrewg82

the aul weather didnt help...

Mod Note

The last few posts have been removed as they have completely gone off topic and can we have less of the tit for tat please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Family's with Prams/Buggys been stopped and searched

My other half was stopped and searched going into the fun-fair with our 9 year old son yesterday at 4pm. FFS - Ridiculous.

I heard there was a very poor turnout for Status Quo last night due to the rain.

The rain really put a dampner on things last night,it'd take some die hards to stay out in the torrential downpour,at least it's dry tonight.

Did anyone else hear any rumours of organisers wanting to bring the Fest to Wexford Park? That'd be taking the piss seeing as the Fair/Fest is an Enniscorthy event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 marnieb

Wouldn't really make much difference as they could call it wex festival or something, there wasn't much strawberry emphasis on the music part really anyhow apart from name, it could be staged anywhere at anytime

• Registered Users Posts: 5 boolajake

My niece went on Friday night with a 3 day ticket, she was given a wrist band to wear which she removed after concert for work, she then went on Sunday night and was refused entry because she had removed the band, she also had her ticket. They took the band off her and told her no entry, tickets cost 56 euro for the 3 days, great way to run any festival.

marnieb wrote: »
    Wouldn't really make much difference as they could call it wex festival or something, there wasn't much strawberry emphasis on the music part really anyhow apart from name, it could be staged anywhere at anytime

I imagine it would make an enormous difference to the Enniscorthy economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 marnieb

Yes but the strawberry fair existed long before the music fest as it now stands, I remember being there years ago and it was packed all over the town along the river etc, being at a concert doesn't necessarily mean much to the economy as people might just go to that then head straight home,

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

zerks wrote: »
    The rain really put a dampner on things last night,it'd take some die hards to stay out in the torrential downpour,at least it's dry tonight.

Did anyone else hear any rumours of organisers wanting to bring the Fest to Wexford Park? That'd be taking the piss seeing as the Fair/Fest is an Enniscorthy event.

Believe half what you read and none of what you hear.

where were all the buskers by the way, only saw one.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 hillerbees

kneemos wrote: »
    where were all the buskers by the way, only saw one.

Was holidaying up in Courtown with the Dublin northside massive(not by choice!!)..went to Enniscorthy for the craic on Saturday afternoon with the wife and kids...you'd have had more fun at a wake.... bit of Barney and Baby Bop for the youngest in the square and one lot buskers singing for their own pleasure and that was it. Wanted to go to Status Quo on Saturday night but the torrential rain put paid to that idea....me maybe ....the wife uh-uh no way....went to the flicks instead....shame they couldn't have played the Monday an open air freebee when the forecast was saying heavy rain. Mey Christy Dignam of Aslan in the Applegreen filling station in Ferns on the way down to their stint....highlight of my wet weekend! Spit on me Christy!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Diamond_Ninja

hillerbees wrote: »
    Spit on me Christy!!!!

:D

marnieb wrote: »
    Yes but the strawberry fair existed long before the music fest as it now stands, I remember being there years ago and it was packed all over the town along the river etc, being at a concert doesn't necessarily mean much to the economy as people might just go to that then head straight home,

Is the amount of alcohol sold the measure of it's success.?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

The Strawberry fair as it existed in the past, and the fair that so many have rose tinted rear view mirror for, had been dying a slow death for years and was in real danger of extinction. It had to change. A hand full of people turning out to see Theresa and the Stars in the square was getting embarrassing.

Last year, the first year of the Fest was the best thing to happen to Enniscorthy in years and they tried to build on it this year with a line up unrivalled in Ireland this year. They were unlucky with the weather and that is probably the biggest gamble that faces any outdoor promotion in Ireland.

I have have seen a few gripes on facebook regarding security, unnecessary searching and other minor gripes with the festival but to me it seems like it's a small amount of people making a big racket. There are always going to be individual experiences and it would be near impossible in a town full of grumpy people (that we are) to please everyone. I even say some people saying that they hoped the Fest was cancelled next year which I found unbelievable, but those people might actually get their wish and we as a town will have absolutely nothing next year.

I was up there for the 3 days and had an absolute fantastic time and for me this has now become Enniscorthy's, and maybe even Wexfor's, biggest event, and if this was to be its last year it would be a crying shame.

• Advertisement

Its quite clear that the location of the main Music stages are not Working It is as simple as that. It has caused major trouble with the locals. The security heavy handiness by searching peoples handbags and taking umbrellas and kids drinks on entry to a free Funfair is totally wrong. having the Funfair and the Music concert together in the same area was a total disaster.

Below are some of the comments people are making on FB about the Event.

after having such a good night saturday..absolutly disgusted that when some scumbags started on my brother and stuck a cigarette in his eye..not one person , security or otherwise came to his aid..maybe you need to sort that one out better for next year

I thought Strawberry Fest said the residents without road passes would still be able to use the road! We're being told to drive out Carleys Bridge to get to a shop....Should have looked after the residents better Strawberry Fest.Its really bad form.

On the way into the Fun Fair, Security taking juice drinks off toddlers is disgraceful. Security can bag search concert goers but raiding buggies & handbags is unacceptable. Is my baby allowed her bottle???
    Who ever heard of bag searches into a Fun Fair? Kids drinks taken ( Didn't see any juice for sale in there!)
    Really spoils a family day out..

Just seen a woman sayin her toddlers juice cup taken off her says it all doesn't it I mean come on

Ppl ave opinions an r givin der opinions 2 try make it better 4 de next year not just 2 ave a rant we r de ppl dat make de strawberry fair happen spendin our money up der if we weren doin it it wudn b held yr after yr!!

Just want to point out security had nothing to do with the fun fair. For those even working there were searched and lunch taken and then not aloud in to buy a bit of lunch. I understand taking glass bottles etc but a sandwich??? Layout should have been better thought of for fair and fest, getting in and out to car was a nightmare.

well said mick its a joke dey nvr gave a 2nd thought 2 d residents of d surroundin areas either der was drunk fools bangin my parents doors n windows at all hrs dey gave dem a few poxy passes lst yr 2 sweeten dem up n its **** u dis yr il b goin away when its on nxt yr i hate it!

oh my god a child couldnt get in yesterday with a umbrella.

Strawberry fest is a joke poorly run and just thinkin about the money don't give **** about local people more the ones with young familys can't go up the road to shop mothers with babies gettin there buggys and bags searched for drink and drugs just to bring there excited children on ****y rides no toilets for people in amusments people fighting over parking spaces because they think by standing in them Its there space can go on it's alright 4 young people but they don't care about us locals bring back the strawberry fair not thing wrong with it phew!!!!!!!!!!

It seems the people of the Ross rd and the estates down past the Rugby club were hard done by. Last year it was new to the town the people got excited about a major festival been held in the town until they realized it was basically a Music concert and not a festival like the fleadh or the 1998 festival. The only way that this Music fest will succeed and continue in Enniscorthy is to have the Music concert stage in a big Field about a mile or 2 outside town with more modern groups not groups from the 80s or 1 hit wonders. And Bump up the dying Strawberry fair with some good acts and bands in the market square to attract the crowds.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Diamond_Ninja

Maybe keeping the fair for Enniscorthy but relocating the actual concerts to Wexford is the answer? They're not a million miles apart and I think Wexford could handle it better, really Enniscorthy is a bit wee for a music festival.

There is no Need to move it to Wexford there are plenty of places on the outskirts of Enniscorthy that could handle the Main Music concerts and cater for the camping and the festival goers. The whole Fest/Strawberry fair needs to be thought out better. Its quite clear that its not working having it in a built up area.

Moving it to Wexford, is not an option I would even entertain as a proud scorthy man, no offence.

Moving it a bit out of town would also take away from it in a major way, imo. I think a few lessons could be learned all right. Taking bottles off babies is wrong. I was able top get up the Ross road all weekend in my car, I just told them I was a resident (which I wasn't) and had no problem getting access.

Scaller, I read most of the comments you have posted above on FB as well, and there are also 10 times that amount of comments in support of the thing. As I said you cant please every single person. its impossible.

Also Scaller, your comments about needing modern groups just show's how far removed from reality, like last year you were pushing for the Black Eyed Peas :eek: (I lol'd then and I lol now).

Maverick Sabre
    Original Rudeboys
    BRESSIE
    The Minutes (Check them out, highlight of the weekend)
    The Kanyu Tree
    Bipolar Empire
    Arvene

All those acts are about as current as you can get, most of them have charting albums and are played on national radio at least once a day. I think Maverick Sabre in particular was a major coup as I'm sure he would have been headlining Oxegen had it been on this year.

It is hard to please everyone but a bit of respect towards people entering the funfair and the local people wouldn't have gone astray. Mistakes were made again that need to be sorted out. Moving the main concert to a field on the out skirts of town is a brilliant idea. The ploughing championships 1994 were held on the outskirts of town with close to a million people attending. And before some people start jumping we know ploughing is done in a field but a whole village was set up to cater for people. The town was a Buzz as well the pubs restaurents and b+b's were full back then.

In 1998 the organisers of the big events got it right there was open air concerts on the fair green and market square. With a little bit of thought they could do the same again.

The majority of the positive comments on FB come from concert goers who dont live in town and from people who have more than a musically Interest in the Fest ;);).

(So in Reality) If the concert promoters want to play in the big league then they should be attracting Top modern music instead of 80s hasbeens and 1 hit wonders.

Maybe the blackeyed peas were a bit to much to ask for last year. :rolleyes:

Then again seeing as the promoters like picking 80s groups I do hope they book U2 next year or would the price be too high for that 80s group.

Here is a very good line up for a music festival http://seasessions.com/lineup-2/ which include The Minutes and last years Coronas but look at the first 2 compared to the Saw doctors and Status Quo.

It is hard to please everyone but a bit of respect towards people entering the funfair and the local people wouldn't have gone astray.
    Your bang on there tbf.
    Moving the main concert to a field on the out skirts of town is a brilliant idea.
    Have to disagree with you there.It would be a crying shame to move it out of the town (although if it goes ahead again that's probably what will happen). Enniscorthy isnt the only town to have events like this in it. Most big events in stadia and the likes are in built up areas and they manage it just fine.
    The majority of the positive comments on FB come from concert goers who dont live in town and from people who have more than a musically Interest in the Fest ;);).
    I know a lot of town folk who had plenty of positive comments on the fest and I can guarantee that the only interest I had in it was musical ;););).
    (So in Reality) If the concert promoters want to play in the big league then they should be attracting Top modern music instead of 80s hasbeens and 1 hit wonders.
    Those two acts wouldn't be my cup of tea either but there was enough on the line up to keep me happy and I spent that time in the captain morgan tent which was rocking.
    Then again seeing as the promoters like picking 80s groups I do hope they book U2 next year or would the price be too high for that 80s group.
    Yes, I'd imagine it would be and I think you know that, or maybe you don't.:rolleyes:

Anyway, if I get a bit of time ill put up a small review of the acts I seen. Wexford's own hip hop man Rob Kelly was also excellent on Friday and defo deserves a mention.

Madness are still peforming,theres a group that would pull in the punters.

The Chevron speaking sense shocker:eek: :D:D:D

It'd be madness to move it to Wexford,Enniscorthy would be left with nothing.

Lessons from last year weren't learned regarding the funfair,it's close proximity to the concert caused problems last year & it's the same this year.Move it down to the prom where it used to be (plus it'd draw a crowd through the town)

The Mitchelstown festival has evolved in a similar way to Strawberry Fest & it hasn't suffered as a result,many of this years acts are the same as what we had here in town.Mitchelstown used to have it slap bang in the middle of the town but moved to the outskirts as it grew,needs must.

http://www.indiependencefestival.com/line-up/

A few complaints on facebook are the norm,as I posted before-the residents of Ross Road etc. didn't complain during The Fleadh/'98 celebrations when the whole area was cordened off but it's a different story when we have "pop music & noise".
    Hopefully the organisers read this thread & take on board what's been said,a few tweaks here & there is all it needs.

With regard to the loss of the spirit of the Strawberry Fair,that died years ago and it has been like an anniversary mass each year.How many locals actually go to buy strawberries & cream?
    The Fair is dead, long live the Fest.

Perhaps next year have a night for dance music with someone like The Prodigy,Fatboy Slim,David Guetta headlining and other dj's supporting.There's so much talent on the Irish scene it's be nice to have a showcase for their talents along with a big name International act.

Managed to buy a few strawberries (organic) at the market on Saturday but I didn't them on sale much around the town - I don't think this aspect of the festival is promoted particularly well but then I'm just a blow-in.

• Advertisement

TheChevron wrote: »
    Your bang on there tbf.
    Have to disagree with you there.It would be a crying shame to move it out of the town (although if it goes ahead again that's probably what will happen). Enniscorthy isnt the only town to have events like this in it. Most big events in stadia and the likes are in built up areas and they manage it just fine.

I know a lot of town folk who had plenty of positive comments on the fest and I can guarantee that the only interest I had in it was musical ;););).
    Those two acts wouldn't be my cup of tea either but there was enough on the line up to keep me happy and I spent that time in the captain morgan tent which was rocking.

Yes, I'd imagine it would be and I think you know that, or maybe you don't.:rolleyes:

Anyway, if I get a bit of time ill put up a small review of the acts I seen. Wexford's own hip hop man Rob Kelly was also excellent on Friday and defo deserves a mention.

Most Towns that have festivals dont put a Family Funfair and a Music concert so close together with heavy handed security treating the Funfair like a RAVE searching everyone from children to OAP's .Most festivals dont get the Cheap acts from the 80s and mix them together with Irish acts that have maybe 1 or 2 songs that any one know and charge €56 for a ticket. Were you not asked to spin the decks in the Captain Morgan tent;);). And as we all know if the promoters want to play with the Big boys then they need to get the right sort of music like what Zerks has just said The Prodigy,Fatboy Slim,David Guetta headlining and other dj's supporting. Mitchelstown used to have it slap bang in the middle of the town but moved to the outskirts as it grew,needs must. Lots of people are saying then same the Main Stage needs to be moved out of the showgrounds to the outskirts of town Common sense needs to prevail but after the mistakes of the last 2 years I cant see that happening. Ah well roll on either the WEXFEST or the STRAWBERRY80sFEST 2013.

Advertisement