Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strawberry Fest Enniscorthy.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

zerks wrote: »
    The Chevron speaking sense shocker:eek: :D:D:D

It was pointed out to him Before http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71886097&postcount=273

Managed to buy a few strawberries (organic) at the market on Saturday but I didn't them on sale much around the town - I don't think this aspect of the festival is promoted particularly well but then I'm just a blow-in.

JD thats another big problem the other fringe events of the Strawberry fair were not prompted well at all. i was speaking to a Business person yesterday at lunch time and he said the same as you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Lol at some of the names being mentioned.

The bigger the acts, the more it costs to run and will mean ticket prices will be much more expensive.

Who cares about strawberries, buy some in Tesco whenever you feel like it.

Friday night was excellent up there, kids shouldnt be let in in the first place imo, over 16s or something and get rid of the funfair altogether.

lol scaller, if he gets The Prodigy and David Guetta etc are you going to pay 200 for a ticket.

Anyone moaning about this years line up for 56 quid is a stingy git.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

mdwexford wrote: »

The bigger the acts, the more it costs to run and will mean ticket prices will be much more expensive.

Friday night was excellent up there, kids shouldnt be let in in the first place imo, over 16s or something and get rid of the funfair altogether.

lol scaller, if he gets The Prodigy and David Guetta etc are you going to pay 200 for a ticket.

Point .1. There's no Tesco in Enniscorthy and unlikely to be.
    Point.2. Only in Ireland would you have a festival called a "Strawberry" festival and find them relegated almost out of sight.

I've heard of The Prodigy but wtf is David Guetta? 1974 - the year the music died. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Those people looking for big acts could be waiting a very long time,They cost massive money. MCD, Pod and Aiken promotions have the pick and most of these acts and the acts management wont deal with small time promoters.

• Advertisement

mdwexford wrote: »

At my age the last time I saw the prodigy was in Cork in 1996 when they were supporting OASIS. Nowadays I am content with Andre Rieu.

Compare what Waterford fest had last year for €54 http://www.goldenplec.com/waterford-music-festival-2011-faithless-sound-system-joins-lineup/ to what Enniscorthy had to put up with Status quo and the sawdoctors and a few new groups that are not fully established for €56

What was the real stingy part of the fest was people could not buy drink outside the event to bring in but had to pay €5 for a drink inside the event.

Anyhow Seeing as we all have a different view on the this years fest. I am sitting back now for a while as it would be unfair for me to stay posting on this topic as a Moderator. Carry on Kids but keep it civil towards each other.:):p:p

Would Chris de Burgh not do a freebie for his old home county? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

Waterford fest was full of scum & fell on its arse, thus why its not on again this year as they're still in debt upto their eyeballs over it + it was only a 1 day event

David Guetta, The Prodigy & Fatboy Slim

Fact of the matter is, they needed to cater for all tastes young & old & they did a good job of that - Status Quo would have a much larger fan base & be a much bigger draw amongst the older crowd than the Happy Mondays who you seem to keep banging on about (& to be honest the Quo would put on a much better show than Shaun Ryder given the state hes in these days)...also the Kaiser Chiefs have done F all of note in recent years....the weather went against them however & the turnout on the Saturday night wasn't amazing, these things happen as its Ireland after all.
    Maverick Sabre on the Friday was packed & everyone loved it, decent turnout for Bressie on the Sunday too who even my father who's 70 is aware of these days due to his role on The Voice & given the response he got I'd hardly call him "not fully established"

To have such a highly organised & professionally run festival handed to ye in place of what the laughable Strawberry Fair had become in recent years for such a decent price & still be complaining about it is beyond me.....I guess some people just love to piss & moan about everything

I accept the searching into fun fair may have been a bit OTT but I saw someone on the FB giving out cos they were given a weekend armband on the friday, removed it the next morning & then expected to be handed another one on the Saturday - have these people never been to a proper gig or festival before?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

@ Pulse8: I'm not complaining about the Fest,in fact I'm delighted that the old dinosaur that we had is extinct and now we have something new & relevant.

€56 is great value for a weekend ticket when you compare it to the Westport Festival which has a pretty similar lineup @ €130 for a weekend pass.

I hope the ticket prices stay at a reasonable level for the coming years as this is one of the big draws.

The suggestions of getting the likes of David Guetta etc. are just ideas being thrown out there as a way of growing the Festival,no harm in approaching such acts & if they prove too expensive to book or end up forcing up the price of tickets as a result then the organisers can simply book another act.

With regard to the selling of strawberries,this has been more trouble than it was worth over the past few years as people simply didn't buy the produce,it's too readily available in every shop & along every road in the country.Back in the day when less people had cars the strawberry fair was the place to buy the fruit but these days it's less relevant.The Farmers Market is the ideal place to sell them but there's no need to have stands on every corner of the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

David Guetta, your getting funnier :D. 49.50 +booking fee to see him in Marley Park this summer. Nearly the same price as the weekend ticket for the strawberry fest. Fatboy Slim, 45 + booking fee to see him in Brighton. Keep adding acts like that and see where your ticket price will end up for a weekend. As you probably know, I would love nothing more than to see a dance based festival with big acts in this town but for many reasons it just wouldn't work.

• Advertisement

TheChevron wrote: »
    Nothing ventured or gained by myself, my interest was 100 musical.

David Guetta, your getting funnier :D. 49.50 +booking fee to see him in Marley Park this summer. Nearly the same price as the weekend ticket for the strawberry fest. Fatboy Slim, 45 + booking fee to see him in Brighton. Keep adding acts like that and see where your ticket price will end up for a weekend. As you probably know, I would love nothing more than to see a dance based festival with big acts in this town but for many reasons it just wouldn't work.

£38.50 for Status Quo in England,we got a good deal for Strawberry Fest.Irish ticket prices are notoriously expensive when compared to other countries so fair play to the organisers for keeping costs down.
    I wouldn't use the prices of Irish concerts as a benchmark as we all know they are a ripoff.
    Even if we didn't get a huge name,there's plenty of Irish/UK talent to use for a dance night.My only worry is that it could potentially attract scumbags,there have been problems at some similar events around the country before.99% attending are sound but it's the 1% that gives a bad name.

MOD Note

The Strawberry Fest/Fair is more than music to the people of Enniscorthy.

I have edited some posts here since my last post. There seem to be some posters who never contributed to the Wexford threads before just posting here as a free for all against my comments. I am very suspicious of these Names. For the other people here who dont seem to listen and take advice the DJ's were originally mentioned by another poster not me. So before all this gets out of Hand go a have a read of some previous posts before Jumping in with comments. As I stated earlier I will be sitting back for a while on this thread as a Mod it would be unfair to keep posting. But I will be keeping a close Eye on this thread so play fair with each other now kids.
    :D:D:D

While some improvements need to be made (over zealous security & incorrect placement of the funfair) I'm happy enough with the last 2 years.
    If someone had said to me a couple of years ago that we'd have internationally recognised acts playing in Enniscorthy I'd have laughed.Now it's reality & let's hope it grows to become something massive while at the same time not forgetting it's roots.Perhaps a stage with some well known acts performing free or for cheap entry in the Square as a nod to it's origins would be an idea.

I'm aware of Scallers opinions on some of the headline acts but I suppose the budget is still a problem and they got what they could afford.Even so,Status Quo are still a draw after all these years but as I said before,the only way is up.

Remember last years hoo-ha over UB40,yet they still drew a large crowd despite one posters vociferous complaints.

Pulse8 wrote: »
    Having read the amount of stupidity being touted on the Strawberry Fest FB page I then came across this thread & noticed a similar theme developing, thus my decision to reply

I wouldn't use FB as a yardstick,I've read the comments (well most of them as some were almost illegible) Posting comments in the middle of the night usually means drunken rants so I'd pay little heed. People will always complain,I mean who brings umbrellas to a packed venue?? You wouldn't bring one to a cinema so I can't understand the complaints when they aren't allowed bring them to a music concert or packed funfair where space is a premium.I know some of the complainants and the Strawberry Fest is the only concert/festival they've ever attended so obviously they don't understand the protocol.
    I'd hate to see what would happen if they had to get a flight to the States:rolleyes:

Do they want a return to the bad old days of crap music & drunken eejits fighting in the Market Square? I don't.

Scaller is merely putting forward ideas for the improvement of the Festival,no harm in that.It's normal to be suspicious of posters who suddenly appear in a thread with no previous history or contributions to it,don't sweat it,no agenda's here.

I like the idea of drunken eejits fighting in the Market Square but only as long as they are closely supervised by the Gardai and the survivors locked up. A punch up between the Shinners and the Muppet's followers would be good. :D

MOD Note.

Pulse8

Seeing as your user name is the same name as the company which was owned by 1 of the Strawberry Fest organisers could you please contact hello@boards.ie to verify who you are before you post here again.

Thanks

Again I will say the StrawberryFair/Fest is more than a music concert to the towns people. It also seems that either ZERKS is a mind reader or he simply knows what I am going to type. Judgement Day seems to be also on the same wave length.

Yes Everyone is entitled to an opinion. And it is relevant when new posters on the Wexford threads are posting here to challenge other posters opinions. The organiser of the Fest were barred off these threads last year and this year by another MOD for Advertising, challenging comments that were made by other posters and hiding behind different user-names.

The people of Enniscorthy want a Festival like I do, Everyone knows big mistakes were made last year and this year regarding the organisation and the Planning of the festival. The security ruined the funfair day out for most people the main Concert and the Funfair being so close does not work. The Issuing/Non Issusing of permits and road passes was a total mess.

Now regarding my editing of posts the saying goes attack the post but not the poster. And again I will say to some people here read the posts I was not the original poster who mentioned the DJ's this year. But I will say some sort of Dance group or 90s group would do no harm at all.

Lol @ one of the comments on StawberryFest's facebook page.

I won't embarrass the girl by including her name.This is her comment about Maverick Sabre:
    Never heard of him before this gig but fair play the boy's got some tunes!! Let's get his music on some stations in the UK!!

Guess where he made it big before anyone over here heard of him?

The complaints here are minor,have a read back at the first few posts of the thread for a reminder of how bad things were before the Fair was reinvented.

Maverick Sabre put on a fantastic show. Very polished and professional and suited to big events. He really has come a long way. He said performing back in Wexford was "the proudest moment of my career".

I know all artists feed the crowd lines like that, and I particularly hate it when I hear "We love you Dublin" when the might be in Kildare, but it went down well all the same.

His version of "No One", who people may know from his album, was particularly good. Half way through it he hyped it up a notch with a build up and it dropped into a dubstep type track and the whole place went berserk. I took a video of it on my phone but I was moving so much it ended up as one big blur :D

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

What was the story with council workers closing the ross road at the weekend?
    Was permission granted to close the roads ?
    and if so who paid for the council workers to stand there all weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

TheChevron wrote: »
    Maverick Sabre put on a fantastic show. Very polished and professional and suited to big events. He really has come a long way. He said performing back in Wexford was "the proudest moment of my career".

I know all artists feed the crowd lines like that, and I particularly hate it when I hear "We love you Dublin" when the might be in Kildare, but it went down well all the same.

His version of "No One", who people may know from his album, was particularly good. Half way through it he hyped it up a notch with a build up and it dropped into a dubstep type track and the whole place went berserk. I took a video of it on my phone but I was moving so much it ended up as one big blur :D

Should have lived the moment. Not through a mobile phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

scaller wrote: »
    What was the real stingy part of the fest was people could not buy drink outside the event to bring in but had to pay €5 for a drink inside the event.
    p

This has been the case at every gig and festival I have ever been to in my life.

Naggin down the jocks the way to go. :)

kneemos wrote: »
    Should have lived the moment. Not through a mobile phone.
    That was the problem, I lived the moment so much that the video was crap. Thanks for the tip though kneesup kneemos.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Willam Barker

Folks the moaning is just epic. Was it perfect no, I am living within 200 mt of the venue so was hit with the noise but it was over by 11.30 each night and I didn't see any trouble. An huge amount of travelers about who seemed to be heading to the fun fair not the concert.

The showgrounds is a great spot for the concert, but I'd like to see the fun fair move to the prom again. The road closure only kicked in after 6pm and was a help for us as it meant we could park at our house.

My complaints would be around the security around the roads, the Gardai (an issue I have across Ireland) need to be more robust and move people on from the roads around the grounds quicker. I really hope we see it grow next year, the Waterboy's, Christy Moore come to mind.

The fringe around the town needs improvement though, the weather did not help but he Market Square was dead but this can I think be developed.

+1 on the lack of crowds in the Square & the idea of relocating the Funfair back to the Prom,the trading area should be moved back there aswell as it was ideal.

I see The Minutes are playing at this years Isle Of Wight Festival.

Any ideas folks for next years Fest (if it goes ahead/is held in Enniscorthy)

I've already stated that I'd like to see a dedicated night for dance music.One big name modern act to headline the Saturday night.
    As stated before,move the funfair/stalls to the Prom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

I lived the moment so much that the video was crap

LOL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Folks the moaning is just epic. Was it perfect no, I am living within 200 mt of the venue so was hit with the noise but it was over by 11.30 each night and I didn't see any trouble. An huge amount of travelers about who seemed to be heading to the fun fair not the concert.

The showgrounds is a great spot for the concert, but I'd like to see the fun fair move to the prom again. The road closure only kicked in after 6pm and was a help for us as it meant we could park at our house.

My complaints would be around the security around the roads, the Gardai (an issue I have across Ireland) need to be more robust and move people on from the roads around the grounds quicker. I really hope we see it grow next year, the Waterboy's, Christy Moore come to mind.

The fringe around the town needs improvement though, the weather did not help but he Market Square was dead but this can I think be developed.
    So were the roads officially closed, and if your a resident you may be able to tell me on whose authority they were closed ?
    was it the town council ?

barney 20v wrote: »
    What was the story with council workers closing the ross road at the weekend?
    Was permission granted to close the roads ?
    and if so who paid for the council workers to stand there all weekend?

No debate on this last year,the town council workers are tasked with the job of keeping the town clean during the fair so manning a road block is no biggie.

It costs money to get roads closed so I'm sure the organisers factored this into their costings.

Would you have an issue if it was Gardai in charge of the road closures?

Is the event making money and and does it go towards such things as road closures and overtime for council workers.Make a comment here at your peril, do'nt want my head bitten off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

The events biggest sponsor is AES- Bord Na Mona .

So straight away it costs money - taxpayers money .

• Advertisement

The events biggest sponsor is AES- Bord Na Mona .

So straight away it costs money - taxpayers money .

Are the organisers confined to a certain type of act to suit a certain demographic then.

Advertisement