Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strawberry Fest Enniscorthy.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

zerks wrote: »
    No debate on this last year,the town council workers are tasked with the job of keeping the town clean during the fair so manning a road block is no biggie.

It costs money to get roads closed so I'm sure the organisers factored this into their costings.

Would you have an issue if it was Gardai in charge of the road closures?
    No not at all, as long as the road was officially closed by the county/town council.... i do have a problem with council employees stopping traffic if the road is not officially closed though...still want to know if it was and who was paying the council workers to be there after 6 pm etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Probably old news by now but...

Today's Echo reports that MSL are pulling the plug on their involvement with the Strawberry Fest. It's reported that the business is unable to continue due to the level of debt hanging over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Probably old news by now but...

Today's Echo reports that MSL are pulling the plug on their involvement with the Strawberry Fest. It's reported that the business is unable to continue due to the level of debt hanging over it.

Back to Richie Kavanagh & the usual shite we go so:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

http://www.goldenplec.com/strawberry-fest-to-take-hiatus-this-year/?fb_source=pubv1
    Strawberry Fest Concerts promoted by MSL Concerts are NOT going ahead this year despite claims made in local newspapers. However do not fret… we aim to make a return in 2014 so we hope to see all you party people back in action then. Don’t forget however that the traditional town festival will be in full swing the last weekend in June

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

They moaned when they had it, they'll moan cause they don't have it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

TheChevron wrote: »
    They moaned when they had it, they'll moan cause they don't have it.
    Who are "they" exactly chevron ???

barney 20v wrote: »

I think he means the militant Ross Road crew who whinged over the crowds in the area even though they(the residents) weren't really impacted upon.This was mentioned before in the thread & everyone agreed they were complaining just for the sake of complaining.

The other ones were the facebook reactionists who had nothing better to do at 5am than rant on about security etc. at the venue.These were the same faces who moaned over it being shit for years before.

It's a pity that the Fest isn't going ahead this year but I hope the 'smaller' acts that are booked for The Square will be of some kind of quality that will still attract a crowd.

Hopefully next year after the lessons that have been learned the whole thing gets up & running once more as a festival the town & the region can be proud of.

I'm off to write a begging letter to Linkin Park's management & cc it to Eminem for the craic........you never know.:)

barney 20v wrote: »
    ^^^^
    What he said.

Also I have a sneaky feeling we might see something in the showgrounds. It might not be on the same scale as the last few years, but a bit better than the square's old stuff.

Keywest are playing in Treacys/Benedicts on 16th Feb as part of fundraising for the StrawberryFest.
    The comittee are also looking for younger people to get involved & become part of the organising.

Got the above details from the Slaney News.

• Advertisement

Keywest are playing in Treacys/Benedicts on 16th Feb as part of fundraising for the StrawberryFest.
    The comittee are also looking for younger people to get involved & become part of the organising.

Got the above details from the Slaney News.
    I seen that on facebook but it perplexes me a bit.

Pay a medium sized Irish band a decent fee for a performance and maybe break even off the door at best. I can't see this generating much funds unless the band are playing for free.

I hope it goes well though and I hope the get the funds to put on a half decent show this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Disappointing really enjoyed the Friday last year.

The Strawberry Fest is returning to the Prom.The yard behind Murphy's Cash & Carry will be used for the live music which will include The Original Rude Boys,Delorentos,Cry Before Dawn,The Barley Mob & more.Best thing is it's free entry but I reckon tickets will have to be issued to control numbers.

Dates are 28,29 & 30 June 2013.
    Thank fcuk there's no mention of Richie Kavanagh etc.

Maybe it's me looking back with rose tinted glasses but it was great when it was in the Abbey Square/Prom area.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭slippy wicket

The Strawberry Fest is returning to the Prom.The yard behind Murphy's Cash & Carry will be used for the live music which will include The Original Rude Boys,Delorentos,Cry Before Dawn,The Barley Mob & more.Best thing is it's free entry but I reckon tickets will have to be issued to control numbers.

Maybe it's me looking back with rose tinted glasses but it was great when it was in the Abbey Square/Prom area.

Sometimes you have to back before you can go forward , eh.
    At least there will be no mud bath this year.

Navarre came up with a good idea of having it just outside the town,but with this years scaled back festival perhaps the Prom is the best place.It'll advertise itself to those passing through the town via the N11.
    For the past few years anyone travelling from Dublin southbound or visa versa wouldn't have even known anything was on in the town.

I just hope nobody comes up with the idea of sticking the amusements right outside the gates of where the music will be.It was an unmitigated disaster for the last 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Decent enough line up for a free concert.

One week to go,spotted the advertising floating in the river,good idea.

Strange how speaking to people around the town that so little of them actually know anything about this years 'fest,99% didn't even know it was on the Prom and many actually replied with "where's Herbie Murphy's yard?" You'd swear the place sprung out of the ground last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

994799_10151984176208098_857123679_n.jpg

There are also floating signs in the Slaney

One week to go,spotted the advertising floating in the river,good idea.

Strange how speaking to people around the town that so little of them actually know anything about this years 'fest,99% didn't even know it was on the Prom and many actually replied with "where's Herbie Murphy's yard?" You'd swear the place sprung out of the ground last week.

Shockingly bad advertising/notification tbf. The flyer/brochure is barely out, and only on facebook. I have not seen on hard copy.

The website is a shambles also. http://www.strawberryfestival.ie/
    Anyone who enjoyed dissecting the Enniscorthy Tourism website would have a field day over there. They should rename the website to www.404notfound.com

Having said that I'm really looking forward to that weekend and I hope the weather stays fine now.

Here are 2 fringe events taking place over the weekend if anyone fancies a bit of house music. No Cover charge at either.
    13375471.jpg
    13375477.jpg

• Advertisement

MT Cranium's forecast for next week:
    OUTLOOK ... Several quite warm and dry days appear likely mid to late week with highs near or a little above normal in the lower 20s with potential to reach 24 C in eastern and inland southern counties as wind direction will be generally west to southwest. Rather breezy at times in the north, fairly light winds in the south. This should all make a rather un-summer-like weekend a distant memory by the start of the following weekend which could be at least a grade better if not several.

Anything less than a monsoon would have been an improvement on last years weather but that forecast looks great.

MT Cranium's forecast for next week:

Anything less than a monsoon would have been an improvement on last years weather but that forecast looks great.

A lot of could's and should's in there.ME are predicting a warm but changable second half of the week.

See the floating sign attempting an escape this morning.

kneemos wrote: »

It's ok slaney rescue are on the job.

kneemos wrote: »

That low bridge has come in useful for something :D

From the Official Strawberry Festival Facebook page:
    IMPORTANT NOTICE!!!!
    THE FIRST ROUND OF TICKETS FOR THE FESTIVAL CONCERTS ARE NOW SOLD OUT!!
    Please do NOT go to Treacys Hotel or Byrnes Pet Supplies for tickets as they are now SOLD OUT
    SECOND ROUND OF TICKETS WILL AVAILABLE AS FOLLOWS:
    From the OFFICIAL FESTIVAL KIOSKS on the PROMENADE on FRIDAY, SATURDAY and SUNDAY from 10am-12pm and from 5pm-6pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

The "boys and girls" DJ is back bellowing away in the Market Square and I can't make up mind whether to have the windows open for air or the shutters across to keep the noise out. Looked out the back of the house to see one of the town drunks urinating under the archway beside Rackards - in full view of a small girl who was with an adult busking outside the old Dunne's Stores. The weekend can only get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Just heard on the radio that there may be no dogs allowed in the concert arena , area .
    Well I mean , there will probably be many dogs at the festival , but sure they would'nt be interested in the music .:)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭haron

when did it come about that you needed tickets to hear the music on the prom? there was no mention on the website or brochure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

haron wrote: »
    when did it come about that you needed tickets to hear the music on the prom? there was no mention on the website or brochure

It was mentioned ages ago that free tickets had to be claimed to manage crowd numbers.

Advertisement