Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strawberry Fest Enniscorthy.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

zerks wrote: »
    Did you see this article,kinda sums up the apathy in the town at the moment-
    http://www.enniscorthyecho.ie/news/story/?trs=mhgbsnaucw&cat=news .Why didn't they try and incorporate the event into the Strawberry Festival.As for using waiting on the bypass as a reason for not moving back to Abbey Square is bull,it was there for years when there was only bridge and wasn't as easy to divert traffic with no major congestion problems.They are able to re-route traffic around the town when we have floods down that way and the area is closed so why the problem with having the Fair down there again?

I live bang in the centre of town, haven't been away for ages but somehow missed this completely. Unless it was related to some heavy rock music played in the Market Square in the middle of the afternoon a week or two ago? A few children and their mothers were the only audience - thankfully it didn't last long. Could they not find another venue for the rock music say the Little Saltee island? It's bad enough trying to get any peace in town between "boy racers", drunks shouting and roaring and all hours of the day and the incessant noise of defective burglar alarms! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Re: The Rockabilly Weekend -

(a) I wasn't aware it was on, I never seen a single advertisement for it (that's not to say there weren't any)

(b) It wasn't free. Tickets were €20, or €45 for the entire weekend. Bit pricey unless it was your thing.

(c) How many people in town do you know that like Rockabilly music?

(d) Weather was crap

(e) I heard about the classic car show. I went down to take some photos to discover they were in the Bailey car park and you had to pay to get in... I wasn't paying €20 to take a few photos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭discobrother1

I see someone earier in the Thread posted links to the lineup for the Dunbrody Festival Vs Strawberry Festival. I wonder if we were to complete the same exercise this year, what the verdict would be. A big change is in the air....... watch this space!!!!!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

I see someone earier in the Thread posted links to the lineup for the Dunbrody Festival Vs Strawberry Festival. I wonder if we were to complete the same exercise this year, what the verdict would be. A big change is in the air....... watch this space!!!!!

JEDWARD to headline the strawberry fair????????.

Eh nope i dont think so... Full details to follow REALLY soon... watch this and other media.

• Advertisement

Eh nope i dont think so... Full details to follow REALLY soon... watch this and other media.

To be honest mate it will take a hell of a lot of Talent and top class Acts to get the Strawberry fair recognised like the the Dunbrody. their needs to be a headliner like Jedward for the 12-16 year old.
    A top DJ like Fatboy slim, Carl cox, Tall paul, or DJ tiesto, for the 16 - upwards. So there is really no need to be in a guessing game over the Fair. If there is no acts like what i mentioned this year the forget about it.

scaller wrote: »
    To be honest mate it will take a hell of a lot of Talent and top class Acts to get the Strawberry fair recognised like the the Dunbrody. their needs to be a headliner like Jedward for the 12-16 year old.
    A top DJ like Fatboy slim, Carl cox, Tall paul, or DJ tiesto, for the 16 - upwards. So there is really no need to be in a guessing game over the Fair. If there is no acts like what i mentioned this year the forget about it.

Please tell me your having a laugh. When have you ever seeen tiesto or coxy or the likes at the dunbrody festival, or any other "town" festival for that matter. Yeah your defo messin right?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I mentioned early on this thread that local (and talented) dj's offered their services before but were turned down-the commitee favoured the likes of Johnny McEvoy and Richie Kavanagh.Old hat and not of interest anymore-those type of acts have had their day.
    We do have to be realistic in what we want but that shouldn't deter anyone from looking for decent modern acts that suit ALL ages not just the blue rinse brigade.The kids entertainment during the day is fine but its later where the whole thing falls down.
    I'm sure a bit of haggling,wheeling and dealing and even begging would get some decent acts to the stage in Enniscorthy.Entice bands/acts to be part of the rebirth of the festival.

And a note to the local Gardai-drachonian measures on drinking are not needed,the dogs in the street know who the troublemakers are-they are present every year so ban them from the town centre and keep the partying for decent folk.

Centralise the whole festival-it's too spread out and hasn't enough at either end of the town as individual attractions,they would work better all in the one place as was the case years ago.

Please tell me your having a laugh. When have you ever seeen tiesto or coxy or the likes at the dunbrody festival, or any other "town" festival for that matter. Yeah your defo messin right?

If you are part of the committee or you Know What major acts or Djs are headlining the Strawberry fair please Feel Free to name them.

I am having no laugh at all. I am using these DJs as an example Top DJs can be hired to do nightclubs in Dublin and Waterford so why cant the Fair committe do the same. We all know that the fair is dead compared to the Dunbrody. A major headliner like Jedward will attract a huge crowd. The Millenium Drum in 1998 drew thousands to the Fair Green that night. Even with the Fleadh Ceoil on in the Market Square.

To keep the Fair alive we all know there needs to be change in the Committee new younger people with new ideas and younger fresher talent.
    The likes of Diversity and JLS would draw a massive crowd. Even the BlueMan Group on stage in the square would be better than Ritchie kavanagh.

If you are part of the committee or you Know What major acts or Djs are headlining the Strawberry fair please Feel Free to name them.

I am having no laugh at all. I am using these DJs as an example Top DJs can be hired to do nightclubs in Dublin and Waterford so why cant the Fair committe do the same. We all know that the fair is dead compared to the Dunbrody. A major headliner like Jedward will attract a huge crowd. The Millenium Drum in 1998 drew thousands to the Fair Green that night. Even with the Fleadh Ceoil on in the Market Square.

To keep the Fair alive we all know there needs to be change in the Committee new younger people with new ideas and younger fresher talent.
    The likes of Diversity and JLS would draw a massive crowd. Even the BlueMan Group on stage in the square would be better than Ritchie kavanagh.

As much as a major fan of dance music that I am I dont think those djs are the answer to whats pretty much regarded as a family. Hopefully we will have all the details ready for media release within the next fortnight.

Most of the suggestions that have been made in this thread have been incorporated into the new format. Whats strange is that I only came across this thread in the last couple of days so its defo true that great minds think alike eh.

As far as me being on the committee... The answer is no but I run an events promotions company who will be producing the festival on behalf of the committee/ town council.

• Advertisement

Ignore the DJs then. I still think a Top DJ is needed for the event.
    But the likes of Diversity, JLS and Jedward is what's needed to bring life to the Fair.
    So who is headlining the strawberry fair this year

I honestly don't care if the older folk complain about 'noise'-they sit in the Square for an hour during the fair listening to rubbish country music or outdated balladeers then go home.They don't spend anything in the town while attending the fair.When a decent young band get a chance the young crowd are so dissillusioned they don't bother to watch them and stay away or hit the pub.

Forget pandering to the old audience and look after the younger crowd who are the future of the fair and willing to spend a few bob while attending it.Nice to see the ideas mentioned here are being acted on,who knows it could be the start of something big.There are so many bands and acts in the country around the time of the fair and maybe,just maybe some could be cajoled into playing at it-let them use it as a warm up for the big festivals and both them and us benefit.

hx7j9s.jpg

Hi Guys. Heres the low down on the all new Strawberry Fest in Enniscorthy.

Full Lineup details released on April 9th so watch this space

The Facts

Enniscorthy's 44 year old festival will this year be renamed 'Strawberry Fest'

This years Festival takes place from Monay 20th- Sunday 26th June

Main Sponsor is Carlsberg along with a number of local business

The Concert Area at The Showgrounds will open June 24th, 25th 26th from 2-11 daily

Mcfaddens funfair will also be situated at The Showgrounds Area and will be open daily

Huge investment in top quality acts and the overall experience at the Festival

Concert area at the Showgrounds produced by MSL Concerts Ltd OBO Strawberry Festival Committe

Security and Steward Presence at the Concert Area before, during and after each night

Multi agency meetings held between The HSE, An Garda Siochana and Wexford County Fire Service to ensure the safetly of all residents and those attending

Full time Health and Safety Officer on site for the duration of the Concerts

The Showgrounds will be licensed for the sale of alcohol and therefore will have bars on site.

No alcohol is permitted to be brought onto or off the concert site.

All patrons must permit to a search prior to entering the showgrounds, in line with good practice for the safe running of concert events

There will be catering traders on site.

The main concert patron entrance will be at the Showgrounds arch on Upper Weafer St.

The entrace at the Pearse Rd Cul De Sac will only be used as a production entrance with a late night curfew in place.

The Concert area will be fully fenced in and not accessible at night time/ Security will be provided on site overnight.

This is an unprecedented move in the history of the festival and will transform the festival into something the people of Enniscorthy can be proud of.

It is crucial for the business people of the town who now need it more than ever

Strawberry Fest 2011 will provide seasonal employment for the people of Enniscorthy.

Strawberry Fest will incorporate an all new Pub Talent competition with some great prizes for the winning pubs

There wil be a free music trail in operation around the town in various pubs and clubs for the weekend of the festival

There will be a number of fringe events happening around the town for the weekend of the festival.

Kids entertainment will remain in the Market Square.

TIME TO GET READY FOR WEXFORD'S BIGGEST EVER WEEKEND

Contact- info@mslconcerts.com

The Mainstage will be held in the Showgrounds.
    What entertainment will be on in the Market Square.
    Why cant you name the main Acts and performers now.

There will be a media launch event held in Dbar Enniscorthy on Saturday April 9th when all will be revealed.

Have the residents of these Areas been informed of the Venue.

Yes an information leaflet was dropped into every single house in the vacinity of the showgrounds and a further residents information evening was held in Bellefield last Tuesday evening re same, for any outstanding queries.

Feel Free to send me a PM with the Names of the Artists and bands that are headlining this years Strawberry Fair.

Hopefully it lives up to the buildup,another year of Richie Kavanagh etc. and it's bye bye for the festival.
    Nice to see a bit of forward thinking but I'm sure the pubs and businesses around town will want to see events elsewhere around the town other than concentrated in the showgrounds.

As a matter of interest who would ye like to see play at the festival... and please be realistic in your expectation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

I see Horslips are touring again. How about them? 'twould keep the older folk like meself happy anyway...

As a matter of interest who would ye like to see play at the festival... and please be realistic in your expectation

The Black Eyed Peas would be the only Number 1 act to headline this Strawberry Fest and put Enniscorthy back in the Spotlight for a Summer festival and I am been realistic.

Also
    I would suggest

Fatboyslim
    The Prodigy
    Chemical brothers

JLS
    Diversity
    BellAime
    Jedward

The Koronas
    The Script
    Stereophonics

Dear oh dear Scaller-your list started off so well,the middle bit let it down:D I suppose we need something for the kiddies.

With Oxegen early in July maybe the opportunity is there to get some acts on board,they could use Enniscorthy to warm up.Fatboy Slim is not adverse to doing free gigs,just look at his Brighton Beach gig.I wonder what kind of budget is available?
    A couple of big name acts will draw the crowds so long as ticket pricing is reasonable (I assume it will be ticketed for certain acts?) So any investment should see rewards and ensure the future of the festival.

Zerks we all know it will have to be Big named Acts like what i mentioned before performing at this Strawberry Fest to make it a success . Not some group that were big 10-15 years ago split up then and reformed again or some group that nobody heard of before.

Zerks we all know it will have to be Big named Acts like what i mentioned before performing at this Strawberry Fest to make it a success . Not some group that were big 10-15 years ago split up then and reformed again or some group that nobody heard of before.

Was just pulling your leg on the JLS,Jedward inclusions,but you're right,it's the names that draw the audience,as I stated there's usually a lot of tours going on that time of year so maybe the Festival can take advantage of that and get some decent acts on board.What's the betting we'll see The Rubber Bandits on stage over that weekend.
    Before the half decent acts played in the likes of The Bailey which went against the grain and what the Festival was,the people didn't want to pay into a glorified night club to watch a band,but The Showgrounds could be ideal depending on the quality of the acts on stage of course.
    I await the announcement with some hope mixed with trepidation,roll on 9 April.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Chloroplast

This is just promotion, that's all, anti climax.

we all know it will be the same old ,same old , same old,

the waxies, big generator, richie "wup woo" kavanagh.

then when someone like myself objects and comments about the lack of taste and originality i will just get the usual reply : "but that's what they like" "that's what the crowd are into""

when the fact of the matter is, nobody has ever asked anyone anything, they just presume things. typical parish pump politics train of thought.

This is just promotion, that's all, anti climax.

we all know it will be the same old ,same old , same old,

the waxies, big generator, richie "wup woo" kavanagh.

then when someone like myself objects and comments about the lack of taste and originality i will just get the usual reply : "but that's what they like" "that's what the crowd are into""

when the fact of the matter is, nobody has ever asked anyone anything, they just presume things. typical parish pump politics train of thought.

I am of the same opinion regarding the Strawberry Festival-I even started a thread on the subject such was my disappointment at last years effort.
    But at least we might see something new and better than before.(I hope)

I am prepared to give the organisers the benefit of the doubt until I see the line up.If it's the same tired acts I'll just give up on it,as will a lot of others.
    At least discobrother is asking for input unlike what went on before when the organisers refused to listen to what the people wanted and simply catered for the blue rinse,tea in the Square crowd.

maybe the cat has just lept from her bag... prematurely i might add...

wink wink nudge nudge.

oh by the way. scaller sorry to dissappoint you but the peas wont be playing. There currently going out for 500k per show min and they would be exclusive to one promoter in this country.
    Also just to let you know that there are exclusivity arrangements in place with all the major festivals in Ireland that none of their lineup are permitted to play other events 2-3 months either side of the listed gig. So your plan is a non runner im afraid and in fairness i did say be realistic!

[HTML] scaller sorry to dissappoint you but the peas wont be playing. [/HTML]

There is nothing stopping any Committe or promoter from organising the Likes of the Black Eyed Peas to headline any Event.

[HTML] maybe the cat has just lept from her bag... prematurely i might add...

wink wink nudge nudge. [/HTML]
    Just Brillant the Stray Cats have reformed and are headlining the StrawberryFestival

[HTML] and in fairness i did say be realistic! [/HTML]

I told you already I am bean Realistic with the Groups i mentioned.
    If Groups like the one's i mentioned don't start to appear at any Strawberry Fair/Festival/Fest in the future then the Strawberry Fair will be soon a 1 night show probably held in the Boys club, Bellfield, or the Rugby club.

• Advertisement

so why arent all us promoters doing it then if its so easy!!

theres plenty stopping you, you clearly dont understand this business scaler so im going to disengage from here on in and i honestly hope you all come and enjoy this years festival as it was ye and many others who were calling for a change. Now that you have it please support it because without local support we are nothing.
    Also remember this is the first year in a long road ahead.

Viva strawberry Fest 2011

Hope ye like it and even if the acts are not too your taste maybe you'd acknowledge our efforts regardless. Its in your hands after April 9th......

Advertisement