Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strawberry Fest Enniscorthy.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

I was the original poster who compared the major acts and bands between last years Strawberry fair/festival and last years Dunbrody festival some of us here know that some of the Councilers and Strawberry Fair committe members often Lurk on this Forum. I do hope for the sake of the Fair and town that this Year the Acts will be something that the people of Enniscorthy will remember for all the good reasons.

discobrother1. I do hope that you will call back here on or after April 9th for a discussion on this years headliners.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Chloroplast

im in the same boat as zerks,i am prepared to give the organisers the benefit of the doubt until I see the line up.

but for the mean time, could you at least confirm for me that the waxies, big generator,and richie kavanagh are not playing at this years fest ?

The Story doing the rounds tonight is that UB40 will be headlining the Strawberry Fest 2011
    I do hope that this is just a rumour and it is not true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

scaller wrote: »
    The Story doing the rounds tonight is that UB40 will be headlining the Strawberry Fest 2011
    I do hope that this is just a rumour and it is not true.

There was something about UB40 in the Guardian today so it must be true. Who are they anyway? Irish Tour 1974 - Rory Gallagher - the year the music died IMO. :D

I certainly hope that this promotion company who were hired to revive the Strawberry fair
    have not gone and booked UB40.
    UB40 were big in the Early 80s. They split up a while later and reformed again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

I certainly hope that this promotion company who were hired to revive the Strawberry fair
    have not gone and booked UB40.
    UB40 were big in the Early 80s. They split up a while later and reformed again.

They have never split up and they have been going since 1978.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

No mention on UB40's website of a date in Ireland in June(subject to change) They play in Denmark 18 June.Not a fan myself but they will attract an audience of a certain age,so long as there's acts to cater for the younger demographic,most of them will never have heard of UB40.
    Reading between the lines of Discobrothers last post it does seem that The Rubber Bandits will be playing at the Fest.
    No chance of Tiesto or The Prodigy?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Two points for scaller:

1. I really don't think you're giving the 2011 fair a chance. UB40 would be a decent draw and would be a huge improvement over previous years.

2. I don't think you're being realistic at all when you talk about the likes of the Black Eyed Peas and Fat Boy Slim... unless you're want to front their appearance fees and take all the risk? It's not like the town. the county or the country is awash with money at the moment.

It sounds as if you want Enniscorthy to be at a par with Electric Picnic or the like.. but why not just go to Electric Picnic so?

Times have changed and the Fair will never be what it was back in the days of the Abbey Square and the Prom... simpler times, less expectations and probably the best location you could have wished for in terms of bringing it all together.

The Square/Bellefield locations never worked...it splits the whole thing in two and doesn't bring the fair together at all... it just aids in lessening the atmosphere.

I'm willing to give the 'Fest' a chance... and if the Stray Cats and UB40 showed then I'd hope to enjoy it. Not everything has to be all bells and whistles just to have a good time in this day and age. I'd rather seen the venues being consolidated and people going out and wanting to enjoy themselves.

jpb1974 The last time the fair was any good was in 1998 the year of the Fleadh and Tour de France.
    How would UB40 be a draw for all the teeny-boppers that Flooded to Newross from the 4 corners of the country to see Jedward last year. Thats what the Fair needs to Survive the likes of JEDWARD, BELLAMIEE, JLS, DIVERSITY
    If you mention the Name UB40 to any young person they would probably think that you are referring to a STAR WARS character.
    Yes UB40 would attract the 40-50 year old groups. But not the younger crowds.
    They were big when I was a chap growing up in the Shannon but not now
    the only way that this Fest is going to compete with the likes of the Dunbrody is to cater for all the different ages and music tastes. We also need the home grown talent like Nordine Chigara, Wallis Bird, Clive Barnes an Cry Before Dawn/Wild swans.

jpb1974 I would have no interest in going to any Electric Picnic or anywhere if the Groups in the Fair were any good.

To be honest scaller... in one breath you're talking about Black Eyed Peas & Fat Boy Slim and in the next you're talking about the Dunbrody festival. In all fairness the Dunbrody is a fair bit off from the likes of the Black Eyed Peas & Fat Boy Slim headlining.

So why not be more realistic and compare last year's Dunbrody line-up to that of the Strawberry Fest when it is announced?

The fair isn't just about teens either... it should be there to cater for everyone. A balance line up is what is required, a selection of acts that appeal to all ages.

I'd say a lot of younger people would know who UB40 are... if they didn't grow up listening to the music that's not to say there parents didn't and this would resonate with younger people. I wasn't brought up in the 50-60s but my Dad was and the music he listens to has been with me since I was a chap.

I'm not a big UB40 fan or anything but I know all of their big hits and would have no problem heading out for a bit of Red Red Wine et al.

The likes of UB40 would definitely be a step in the right direction. One small step...

• Advertisement

jpb1974 I have said before Its groups and Music like what i have mentioned throughout this thread and last years thread on the same subject that is what is needed to get this Fest going. The Fest needs to cater for all ages and tastes. UB40 is the rumour doing the rounds at the moment wheather its true or not and we wont know that Until April 9th.
    So why not be more realistic and compare last year's Dunbrody line-up to that of the Strawberry Fest when it is announced?

Why not compare this Years Line ups Instead when both are Announced.

I just don't think you're being realistic when you mention the likes of Fatboyslim, The Prodigy and others.

You're talking about serious, serious sums of money to attract these acts and someone has to front it.

Then the crowd numbers they would attract... it just wouldn't be appropriate to hold such an event in the town.

Jedward, UB40, some of the better known local acts I agree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Id love to see Blue Generator playing, the always rock the Benedicts when there there.

jpb1974 wrote: »
    I just don't think you're being realistic when you mention the likes of Fatboyslim, The Prodigy and others.

You're talking about serious, serious sums of money to attract these acts and someone has to front it.

Then the crowd numbers they would attract... it just wouldn't be appropriate to hold such an event in the town.

Jedward, UB40, some of the better known local acts I agree with.

Why not have some big name acts. We have the Stadia, Parks, B&Bs Hotels. It was done in 1998 When Thousands of people flooded the Town for the whole summer with the StrawberryFair the Fleadh and Tour de France.

Why not have some big name acts. We have the Stadia, Parks, B&Bs Hotels. It was done in 1998 When Thousands of people flooded the Town for the whole summer with the StrawberryFair the Fleadh and Tour de France.
    Have you seen the ammount of small festivals on in Ireland this summer? Couple that with the state of most peoples finances and your looking a a major loss if you try to punch above your weight. Black Eyed Peas lol :rolleyes:.

Keep it to Starman, The Classic Beatles, Brass and Co. Zoot Alueres etc.
    Support our local bands and economy. Get yer wan from Expose down to Mc. That will get the youngsters in. I remember getting Derek Davis autograph at the fair when I was a nipper, Ill never forget it. Thats the kind of quality we need.

Why not have some big name acts.

And where does the money that has to be put out upfront come from?

I'm not against big name acts.. but I am being realistic in my expectations.

TheChevron wrote: »
    Have you seen the ammount of small festivals on in Ireland this summer? Couple that with the state of most peoples finances and your looking a a major loss if you try to punch above your weight. Black Eyed Peas lol :rolleyes:.

Keep it to Starman, The Classic Beatles, Brass and Co. Zoot Alueres etc.
    Support our local bands and economy. Get yer wan from Expose down to Mc. That will get the youngsters in. I remember getting Derek Davis autograph at the fair when I was a nipper, Ill never forget it. Thats the kind of quality we need.

TheChevron this has all been discussed last year http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055951201

It seems I will have to repeat the same to every new poster on this thread the groups I named are Examples of what is needed to put this Fest on the Map as a major Attraction to Bring in the Crowds and Generate business for the town. If the Fair Organisers didn't want to compete in the Big League then Why pay money to hire a promotion company to source out bands and Acts.

And where does the money that has to be put out upfront come from?

I'm not against big name acts.. but I am being realistic in my expectations.

Jpb1974. I answered the same question's to you last year

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66632348&postcount=17
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66633318&postcount=21

Ah sure put me down for AC/DC, U2 and REM whilst were at it so.

It seems I will have to repeat the same to every new poster on this thread the groups I named are Examples of what is needed to put this Fest on the Map as a major Attraction to Bring in the Crowds and Generate business for the town. If the Fair Organisers didn't want to compete in the Big League then Why pay money to hire a promotion company to source out bands and Acts.
    Tbf, your going way out of the "big leagues" with your requests. Why not get U2 or Kings of Leon in that case?

Oh wait, there all contracted to MCD and are virtually IMPOSSIBLE to get.

• Advertisement

Ah now JP there is no need to be Smart your not playing around the Grotto now

AC/DC, there like sooo 1980's....like UB40 apparently :p

Jpb1974. I answered that question to you last year
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showp...8&postcount=21

scaller... you always seemed like a nice bloke here... but today I seriously wonder if you've taken a knock to the head or something?

My other half works part time for a long established local business in the town... and if they took in €100 in sales on a Monday they'd be doing well.

You're being totally and utterly unrealistic if you think that local businesses, most of which are struggling just to pay their council rates, are going to fund a national attraction with huge global acts headlining. Sorry.. but you're just way off the mark here.

I am tired saying this the groups i mentioned are an example of what is needed.
    Lets wait until after April 9th and see who is performing this year then we can discuss if they are good Enough to draw big crowds and put the Fair back in the big time. Also when the fest is over we can either discuss or argue wether it was a success and did it generate busniess for the town. And whether its a Good thing to pay a Promotion company to Find Groups in the future.

scaller... you always seemed like a nice bloke here... but today I seriously wonder if you've taken a knock to the head or something?

But that's the thing I am a nice bloke.

What I would like know to does MSL Concerts Ltd intend to employ local people for the Security and Stewards jobs or lets wait until after April 9th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭discobrother1

Can i just clarify something...

We MSL Concerts Ltd are not being 'hired' by the comitte. We are working along side the comittee to achieve something good and positive for the town.

We are also investing our own private funds to the tune of tens of thousands to make this happen, along with funds from other sources.

Roll on June

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Can i just clarify something...

We MSL Concerts Ltd are not being 'hired' by the comitte. We are working along side the comittee to achieve something good and positive for the town.

We are also investing our own private funds to the tune of tens of thousands to make this happen, along with funds from other sources.

Roll on June

Fair play to discobrother for trying to give the Festival a kick in the arse to get it into the 21st century,although when discussing the paper's suggestion that UB40 might appear,my 14 year old niece went "WHO???"
    So long as we don't end up with the usual local celebrities and second rate diddly aye music it should be ok.The opening ceremony is cringeworthy,it's like a sleazy version of 'The lovely girls competition' with a 'celebrity' nobody has heard of.
    @discobrother-will there be entertainment in the Market Square along with The Showgrounds just to keep everybody happy? Plus I'd like to see some decent dance music acts performing.

My 16 year old son who is into Dance Music never heard of them . Zerks thats basically what a lot of young people have said to me today.
    who are UB40
    A lot of people are mentioning UB40 so I reckon its fairly certain that they will be the major Act this year and this has not been denied here today either. It was tried 2 or 3 years back to get East17 and 2 unlimited to play in town at the fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭boscoroxx

Have heard The Coronas are playing this year, if true, at least something for us under 25s to do other than walk around the stalls. Well, those of us that are still in the country!

I really do hope it is a good year for the festival. The town needs it. I worked in the tourist office/ 98 centre last year and we got very little extra visitors over the weekend last year.

Advertisement