Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strawberry Fest Enniscorthy.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

McLoughlin wrote: »
    It isn't UB40 playing its the bloke that used to be in the band singing a few UB40 songs and his own solo stuff which isn't that well known you will have people sitting there bored while he plays his own stuff waiting for the old UB40 numbers.

Cry Before Dawn have a large following and there fans will travel to see them plus there getting new fans who weren't around the first time to see them.

I don't think Ali Campbell is the right choice for a headline act for a festival that is trying to get the younger crowd and especially if people have to pay €20 to get in to see him.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

scaller wrote: »
    Couldnt agree more with you Zerks. Banners need to be put up all along the N11 up as far as Jack Whites.

Seeing as Wexford Strawberries are sold nationwide,why not have banners/signs beside every stall advertising the festival and have stickers on all the punnets aswell.Wouldn't cost the earth and would reach a wide market.

"YOU LOVE OUR STRAWBERRIES-WHY NOT COME TO OUR FESTIVAL" or something similar might do the trick.

Does anyone know what sort of acts are lined up for the 18-25 year olds. After all this is the age group that Music festivals are really for. And this promotion company need to cater for this age group.

Does anyone know what sort of acts are lined up for the 18-25 year olds. After all this the age group that Music festivals are really for. And this promotion company need to cater for this age group.

A bit of dance music wouldn't go astray,even if a big name can't be got,there's plenty of talented dj's from the region who I'm sure would love the opportunity to perform.
    But I'm also sure the local 'down with that sort of thing' brigade would object.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Dougal.

TheChevron wrote: »

So you would have Cry before Dawn ahead of UB40 in the crowd pulling stakes?

LULZ.

Yes I would have Cry Before Dawn before Ali Campbell its no LULZ/laughing at all when it comes to Wexford people deciding to listen to there own Cry before Dawn or pay €20 to listen Ali Campbell once of UB40. We will travel down to Enniscorthy to see Cry Before Dawn and more than likely bring the Kids to see Jedward. UB40 were big in the early 80s its now 2011 music has changed and its the music of today that what the youths want to listen to.

• Advertisement

Dougal. wrote: »
    UB40 were big in the early 80s its now 2011 music has changed and its the music of today that what the youths want to listen to.

+1

Will there still be entertainment in the Market Square? Maybe have the traditional fare there for the oldies who want to sway and clap along to country and Irish music.

I thought discobrother1 would be here posting in the last few days naming the Acts and line ups. The website is still down http://www.strawberryfest.ie/

I thought discobrother1 would be here posting in the last few days naming the Acts and line ups. The website is still down http://www.strawberryfest.ie/

Very strange,I expected all the fanfare to follow the official launch the other night.The suspicious part of me want's answers especially with the website still down,hope it's just a hiccup and doesn't end in farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 dannycorona

will definitely be there to see the coronas on fri night, esp since its a free show if what i read is to be believed. think the organisers might have been better off beefing up the line up by having the fest over two days, 3 days leaves the lineup a bit weak on each of the days. cant see many people being too excited bout paying 20 in on a sat night to see ryan sheridan and ali campbell. ps is ryan sheridan not playing oxegen? does this mean mcd's embargo on irish shows pre oxegen is only limited to the headliners?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭discobrother1

2uoi6qh.jpg

With regards to Ali Campbells UB40...

00000228.jpg
    downarrow.png Artist Biog

As lead singer with the world renowned group UB40, Ali Campbell has sold over 60 million records worldwide. A whole generation has grown up listening to Ali’s infectious vocals on classics like “Kingston Town”, “Red Red Wine” and “(I Can’t Help) Falling in Love”. In 2008 Ali departed UB40, with keyboard player Mickey Virtue following him to take a place in Ali’s new band. Ali continues to thrill audiences worldwide performing the band’s classic hits, inspired by his love of Reggae.

Apart from the coronas and Ryan Sherdian What groups or music will be there for the 18-25 year olds. Any DJ's or modern music.

Also in relation to the Weekend VIP tickets.

A local business has block bought 5,000 Euro of VIP tickets for the Weekend which means we are almost sold out of VIP's after only a day of sales. We are now considering extending the size of the VIP enclosure to accomodate more persons.

Having a VIP Ticket insures you against any bad weather with a clear view of the stage for all 3 nights and your own bar. Over 18s only.

Check tomorrows papers for more details on this years fest.
    Also myself and one of the other organisers will be on South East Radio tomorrow morn at 11.20 with all the details.

Rob.

Apart from the coronas and Ryan Sherdian What groups or music will be there for the 18-25 year olds. Any DJ's or modern music.

Scaller friday nights entertainment is geared towards that age demograph. Also Ryan Sheridan would be popular with that age group.
    Thats a night and a half of entertainment for that age group, more than any other.

When will we here of the other acts that are being lined up for the weekend?

Credit where credits due,it a vast improvement on the last few years,the fair/festival was dying a death but hopefully it will see a new lease of life.

zerks wrote: »
    When will we here of the other acts that are being lined up for the weekend?

Credit where credits due,it a vast improvement on the last few years,the fair/festival was dying a death but hopefully it will see a new lease of life.

Cheers Zerks i think your comments are always quite fair and balanced...
    Vast improvement is probably an understatment, a bigger budget really does help things so much though.

The other acts will be announced as their added over the coming weeks

Cheers Zerks i think your comments are always quite fair and balanced...
    Vast improvement is probably an understatment, a bigger budget really does help things so much though.

The other acts will be announced as their added over the coming weeks

People have mentioned UB40 as being 'too old' for the festival however there's a large audience out there who aren't interested in country music or dance and can identify with groups from the '80s era.

On a serious note,will the organisers be liasing with local gardai in order to keep the local scumbag element out who every year without fail manage to cause trouble.
    Would be a shame to see all the good work be overshadowed by negative publicity due to a small element of scum who ruin it for everyone.

We are having on going talks with the gardai and emergency services on how best to ensure the safety of all attending the concerts. This is a major priority for us.

Scaller friday nights entertainment is geared towards that age demograph. Also Ryan Sheridan would be popular with that age group.
    Thats a night and a half of entertainment for that age group, more than any other.

Is there any other more modern Pop groups, DJ's or Dance act's that is geared towards that age group.

Is there local music like Clive Barnes or Wallis Bird performing.

• Advertisement

how about 2 many djs for next year..... :-)

Was Clive Barnes or Wallis Bird approached to play.

I want Swedish House Mafia:D

Take your pick http://thedjlist.com/world/Ireland/djs/.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Chloroplast

amongst the usual dribble in the wexford people paper, it states clearly that its UB40 that are headlining the gig at the fair, and not 1 single mention of 'Ali Campbell' as in : it looks like shameless lies in order to promote.

not having a poke or anything, im just sayin,

because one of my mates said to me, "seen in the paper the other day UB40 are playing up in enniscorthy"

in which i told em it was only the lead singer and not the whole band.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

Nice to see a bit of a change and I reckon the Sunday night will be absolutely packed, with people from all over. I'm not sure some of the whingers on here realise the pulling power of the Sawdoctors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

amongst the usual dribble in the wexford people paper, it states clearly that its UB40 that are headlining the gig at the fair, and not 1 single mention of 'Ali Campbell' as in : it looks like shameless lies in order to promote.

not having a poke or anything, im just sayin,

because one of my mates said to me, "seen in the paper the other day UB40 are playing up in enniscorthy"

in which i told em it was only the lead singer and not the whole band.
    I think this was a cock up by the paper and not the organisers...so ive been told.

Can we just clarify that the acts is ALI CAMPBELL'S UB40.

Short BIO
    As lead singer with the world renowned group UB40, Ali Campbell has sold over 60 million records worldwide. A whole generation has grown up listening to Ali’s infectious vocals on classics like “Kingston Town”, “Red Red Wine” and “(I Can’t Help) Falling in Love”. In 2008 Ali departed UB40, with keyboard player Mickey Virtue following him to take a place in Ali’s new band. Ali continues to thrill audiences worldwide performing the band’s classic hits, as well as his own new material, inspired by his love of Reggae.

Just to say also that ali is joined on stage by a band of 11 people. In our own personal oppinion and from the research we have done people want to here the original voice of all the hits. Lets be fair any good band can recreate the sound but how many can recreate the voice of one of the worlds most distinctive artists. :-)

Just read the newspaper article about this years' festival,apart from the music in the Showgrounds and the Farmers Market competition,the same old stuff we've been subjected to is taking place.
    Baby steps I suppose and at least Discobrother is taking the first tentative ones,but I don't see how running a Half Marathon is a highlight of a festival-it's hardly something for the masses even though it has a following in sporting circles.The link between it and a festival is tenuous at the least.
    The kids entertainment is fine the way it is in the Square daily but details on anything else are vague apart from the usual craft fairs etc. which in all my years I've never attended and probably never will.
    Will the Old Dunnes Stores premises be utilised? Maybe an indoor market,a lot of people I've spoken too bemoan the lack of traders' stalls over the past few years with them being reduced to a handfull at Pettits Carpark,whatever some peoples thoughts on them,they are actually a huge draw for people.

• Advertisement

Zerks from what i can gather the old dunnes site may indeed be in use by a tenant come June. Dont hold me to that though... its a big store in a town where business isint exactly booming.

Advertisement