Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strawberry Fest Enniscorthy.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭discobrother1

Also all the towns fringe events will be listed on the new website which is launching in its entirety this coming monday....

We really need people to get behind the festival now because if we dont get the support i can promise you it wont be back next year... not at least at this level anyway!
    People cried out for change.. now that its here please support it.
    Ye have no excuses.. wink wink nudge nudge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 raffer123

Ali Campbell has sold over 60 million records worldwide
    hahahahah what a load of bull.
    UB40 Have sold over 60 million records world wide Not ali campbell.
    he is ****e since he went solo in 2008,UB40 however are still going strong and had a hugely successfull album in LOL4 in 2010 with the amazing Duncan Campbell on lead.
    UB40 are still touring world wide and playing to sell out crowds.
    check out www.ub40.co.uk .
    even the poster is a joke.after claiming that its UB40 it then says former ub40 front man Ali Campbell.
    UB40s music was made by the band not Ali Campbell.if your going and expecting to hear ub40 tunes ,be ready to hear a terrible band trying to play reggea music.Alis vocals are also gone.
    UB40 has never broken up ,just improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

http://www.alicampbell.net/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=14418&posts=18&start=1&fid=2

The People Paper are in trouble over there reporting that UB40 are appearing

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

McLoughlin wrote: »
    http://www.alicampbell.net/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=14418&posts=18&start=1&fid=2

The People Paper are in trouble over there reporting that UB40 are appearing

There is a few racist Bigots on that link McLoughlin.

The main thing is that the real UB40 are not playing at the festival but people in the county don't or wont realise that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

scaller wrote: »
    There is a few racist Bigots on that link McLoughlin.

The main thing is that the real UB40 are not playing at the festival but people in the county don't or wont realise that.

Apart from maybe Ali Campbell-how many people on the streets of Ireland these days would even recognise the original band members if they met them??
    So long as he sings the hits I doubt many will care who plays the instruments.

I ignore a lot of those English forums,many seem to have the lowest common denominator of class holding them together.If you spouted the nonsense that gets posted on some of them here you'd be banned before you know it and rightly so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

All I know is Id rather see the band with the frontman. Im not going to be up studying their cord progression's or anything. Cant wait now. Nothing like this ever in the town so better make the most of it All yis moaners can sit down in the square pulling your wires in protest:p

It seems zerks and the chevron are in pole position for the sense and sensibility awards top place. Always to the point, positive and realistic. Well done guys. After all the negativity following last years festival youd think after raising the bar this much wed find a bit more positivity like we have on other sites/forums. Comon.guys less moaning its time for support now. Just remember what your decision to not support will result in!

Big luv... :-)

Just one question,what do the old guard on the commitee think of this new direction the 'fair' is taking?
    I feel some of them still want the Richie Kavanaghs etc. playing and for the last few years ignored the voices of the people and blamed lack of funds etc.
    At least this year we see some changes taking place and I hope it leads to bigger and better acts in the future.
    Is there a budget for nationwide advertising? I don't want it to be restricted to readers of The Echo and Guardian.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭sallysaucer101

Ryan Sheridan is BRILLIANT!

I would def pay more than €20 to go see him again!

He supported the Script in the O2 and he was way better than they were!!

I fall into the 18 - 25 age group and I'm really excited about the Fest! The Coronas are good and everyone loves the Saw Doctors for a bit of the Craic!!

Think i'll have to invest in one of the VIP tickets!! Well worth it! It is going to be a great weekend and draw business to the town!

People need to be more positive around here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

What's the story with regards to photographing the event? Will it be media passes?

• Advertisement

I'm freelance, I'll forward an email to the address provided.

Thanks

I spotted the Jedward poster on the Wexford Road,but the website has no mention of them appearing.Time to update it.

zerks wrote: »
    I spotted the Jedward poster on the Wexford Road,but the website has no mention of them appearing.Time to update it.

There is also a Jedward poster on the way out of town above the Blackstoops roundabout. I do hope that the Advertising boards are going to start above Arklow as Zerks pointed out earlier in the thread.

Like 'em or not Jedward are a huge draw and the wider the advertising the better.The ploughing championships have placards nationwide advertising it at nominal cost and it's effective.The only problem with the ones being used for promoting Jedward at the Fest is the date when they are appearing is hard to read when driving past-the basic message needs to grab the attention quickly and stick in the mind.

Zerks your right. Im going to have the design of the jed roadsides changed. Too much info on there to read in a very short time. As far as road signs go- in theory we cant go outside the enniscorthy town council jurisdiction. Sounds mad but its fact. We risk them bei g taken down in an area we have no control over.

The vandalism has started too btw. The jed sign from the lidl roundabout was pulled down on friday hours after being put up. It was then replaced and that one is gone now too. The fun begins....

Zerks your right. Im going to have the design of the jed roadsides changed. Too much info on there to read in a very short time. As far as road signs go- in theory we cant go outside the enniscorthy town council jurisdiction. Sounds mad but its fact. We risk them bei g taken down in an area we have no control over.

The vandalism has started too btw. The jed sign from the lidl roundabout was pulled down on friday hours after being put up. It was then replaced and that one is gone now too. The fun begins....

Stupid or what the Council for you again. Not a Brain to be found anywhere.
    We need the Fest to be widely recognized to draw the crowds. We all know that the majority of the people that come to the county for the weekend stay around north wexford and the coast how are these people going to know about the Fest if the Posters and banners are put up within the Boundary of the Town. discobrother1 you should have a talk to the committee and Council and Explain this to them the people of the Town Know who is playing at the feast the town dont need posters put up.There should be Advertising on all approach roads to the COUNTY. There is a Local based Plumber with a big advertising board on a lorry bed in Camolin and before that it was up in the Beehive carpark.

Scaller im only talking about roadside boards here. We have a publicity company coming on board this week to market the festival nationally. We also be carrying a number of ads in the national media.

We have already started campaigns on both South East Radio and Beat 102 103. Weve also carried ads in the Echo with more to follow next week.

Its all in hand my dear friend.

oh and tickets been selling quite well which is great for this early on!!

Phase 1 of VIP tickets are all sold out and Phase 2 has just gone on sale

oh and tickets been selling quite well which is great for this early on!!

Phase 1 of VIP tickets are all sold out and Phase 2 has just gone on sale

Good to see the tickets selling out so early,can only be a good sign.Although despite the write up in the local papers and now radio advertising it's surprising the amount of people that know so little of whats happening with The Fest this year.You'd be amazed at how many people buy the 2 local papers every week and only read a couple of pages that have an immediate concern for them,e.g the Gaa or Soccer coverage.Everything else gets glossed over.
    I suppose the more posters,radio ads and newspaper coverage it gets,the more people will take notice.

Maybe a free Jedward poster advertising the fest could be included in ALL the local papers in the region,not just the Enniscorthy editions.Just an idea,as I see Discobrother at least is paying attention to what's posted here unlike the commitee before.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 498 ✭✭Splainc

To be honest I have no interest in any of those acts but plenty of people do. Fair dues to the promoters for attempting to revamp the festival and I hope they get all the safety etc. sorted out. If you do not like the acts then simply do not go but no one can argue that the festival will surely be better attended this year than most others.

Best of luck with it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭berettaman

Fair Play to DiscoBrother and MSL Concerts. I don't care whther ALi Cambell or Jedward floats your boat or not. That's not the point. The idea is to get behind this and build something for the town. Lets face it, all we are short of now in Enniscorthy is a few tumble weed... The Strawberry fair was dying a death for a decade now and we are one or two more Richie Kavanagh appearances away from losing it. An event like this could bring some life and much needed turnover to the town and I know Discobrother has done everything to make it inclusive.. All the vintners/retailers have a vested interest in this being a success whether they realise it or not. Discobrother has some "neads" to try and bring the Strawberry Fair into the 21st century. I wish him nothing but the best. The alternative is a road to nowhere.

Splainc wrote: »
    To be honest I have no interest in any of those acts but plenty of people do. Fair dues to the promoters for attempting to revamp the festival and I hope they get all the safety etc. sorted out. If you do not like the acts then simply do not go but no one can argue that the festival will surely be better attended this year than most others.

Admit it,you love Daniel o' Donnell.:D

The 2nd of our jedward signs has now been taken down. Roadside signs are starting to look like a waste of money tbh. Its getting a little riduclous.
    Why or why do people go to that much trouble to pull these down. Christ its annoying.

Anyway on a more positive note. We have added some more sections to the official website

have a peep and any suggestions are more than welcome. Everyday from here on in is just promo promo and ahem more promo.... but please leave the signs alone. They cost too much money to have made. If you looking at this thinking your doing the town a service because they are illegal YOUR NOT. They have been approved by the town council and stop just shy of having by laws past to allow for their erection but do we seriously need to get into that much bureaucracy.

anyway enough rant

www.strawberryfest.ie

zerks wrote: »
    Admit it,you love Daniel o' Donnell.:D

The DOD is playing?!!! Well why didn't ye tell me! 500 tickets please. :)

The 2nd of our jedward signs has now been taken down. Roadside signs are starting to look like a waste of money tbh. Its getting a little riduclous.
    Why or why do people go to that much trouble to pull these down. Christ its annoying.

Anyway on a more positive note. We have added some more sections to the official website

have a peep and any suggestions are more than welcome. Everyday from here on in is just promo promo and ahem more promo.... but please leave the signs alone. They cost too much money to have made. If you looking at this thinking your doing the town a service because they are illegal YOUR NOT. They have been approved by the town council and stop just shy of having by laws past to allow for their erection but do we seriously need to get into that much bureaucracy.

anyway enough rant

www.strawberryfest.ie

Have you tried placing them higher, or securing them better than two stakes in the ground? Also, any more news about photographing? I never got a reply.

Splainc wrote: »

Hi Splainc

Just as a matter of curiosity what acts would you have interest in??

Hi Splainc

Just as a matter of curiosity what acts would you have interest in??

I would be more into alternative/indie acts that you would mostly see at Electric Picnic or smaller festivals so the poppier acts just would not be my thing*. However it is the pop acts that attract the bigger crowds also so festivals in general are pretty tough pick.

A legendary act that crosses over the pop boundaries could be the one to tempt such as Madness, Brian Wilson or Chic. I am not much a fan of UB40 but there are loads that are so I am sure the crowds will come.

It may be no harm setting up an Irish indie stage with the likes of Lisa Hannigan, Gemma Hayes, Mick Flannery etc to try appeal to that crowd as well.

*I suppose take a look at the blog if you get the chance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

I have gotton the impression that the organisers are quite happy for people to believe that UB40 are playing as it sells tickets because the kinda people that are going to buy tickets for this gig don't have a clue who Ali Campbell is or who is actually in the band and have just heard a few UB40 songs over the years and know jack **** about the band casual unintelligent fans will go any real UB40 fan will stay the hell away.

Found this link
    http://www.ub40.co.uk/forum/ub40-discussion/602898-strawberry-fest-defending-ub40-name.html

and the wexford people newpapers have yet to correct there mistake regarding the matter

• Registered Users Posts: 38 UBd

Makes you wonder what other things the organisers are misleading the public on! There are plenty of you-tube clips of Ali's gigs since 2009 showing how poor he has become live! Definately worth looking at them before you spash out 20 quid to see him (ooops, they're up to 22 quid now!)

Will there be full refunds if he cancels?

• Advertisement

Lets give the whole Strawberry Fest a chance it is not just 1 act performing.
    I have said from the start of this thread that Ali Campbel is not the right head liner for this festival. He is not the choice of music for the youth of today. I think that a survey among the 18-25 year olds would have been the way to go before Ali campbel was considered. A group that were big in the Mid-Late 90s would be a better choice to headline the event. But anyhow he is booked now and the whole town thinks its the real UB40 that is playing which in a way is misleading. I wonder if the words UB40 were left out how many people would know Ali Campbel. Maybe the other acts will draw a bigger crowd. I know that Cry Before Dawn will draw a crowd as will the Coronas. And if Ali Campbel is a failure then the organisers will have to listen to people choices before they choose another head liner for next year. But it seems that the Auld Hierarchy still have the final say on the type of music selected for the Strawberry Festival.

Advertisement