Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strawberry Fest Enniscorthy.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

I wonder will Ali Campbel be performing songs people dont know or the hits like Red Red wine. 1 in 10, Rat in my kitchen and the likes or is what this member of the real UB40 saying is true http://www.ub40.co.uk/forum/ub40-discussion/602898-strawberry-fest-defending-ub40-name-3.html#post1574613

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

scaller wrote: »
    I wonder will Ali Campbell be performing songs people dont know or the hits like Red Red wine. 1 in 10, Rat in my kitchen and the likes or is what this member of the real UB40 saying is true http://www.ub40.co.uk/forum/ub40-discussion/602898-strawberry-fest-defending-ub40-name-3.html#post1574613

Red Red Wine is a Neil Diamond song so he can perform it, 1 in 10 and Rat in my kitchen are UB40 songs so he can't perform them. Basically Ali can perform any song that UB40 covered for there Labour of Love albums but not any original material recorded by UB40.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sarahq1980

funny all the bad pub the strawberry fest got last year, compared to dunbroady

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭discobrother1

I think we have been quite clear about this since the start. Ali Campbells UB40 and UB40 are two different acts.

Ali left ub40 in 2008 along with keyboard player Mickey Virtue to form his own band which now tours the world.

Pitting both bands against each other and slagging matches serves no purpose.

Hope this clarifys again....

Full schedule of live shows for Ali are here www.alicampbell.net

full schedule for UB40's shows with their new lineup are here www.ub40.co.uk

ps- very best wishes to the navan live guys fgor an excellent lineup. Im sure their event will go very well. We need more young energetic promoters in this country.

Discobrother1. The majority of the people around the town think the real UB40 are playing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Are you in UB40? :D

Ive watched a few Ali Cambell vids on youtube there, and I must say he sounds like UB40. His singing seems fine tbh apart from some of the dodgy camera phone recordings.

Ive said it before and ill say it again, if the UB40 without Ali were playing in the square ast the same time as Ali's UB40 Id go see the one with the voice presence and personality of the frontman.

Cant wait for the fair now, although the strawberry half marathon is on the next day so thats not going to be fun after a night on the tiles.

UBd wrote: »

Ali campbell will be playing the cover versions that were UB40 hits and is not likely to play UB40 songs like Reggae Music, 1 in 10, Rat in mi Kitchen, Sing our own song, Bring me Your Cup, etc etc because he would have to pay royalties to the real band.
    !
    Ha Ha, I just found vids of him live playing some of those songs, 1 in 10 and Kingston town. I think your full of Sh1te. Please tell me what your interest is in all of this?

TheChevron wrote: »
    Ha Ha, I just found vids of him live playing some of those songs, 1 in 10 and Kingston town. I think your full of Sh1te. Please tell me what your interest is in all of this?

Other posters here have commented to you on your manners in threads there is no need for comments like this.

You are way wide of the mark if you think I have anything to do with this festival or its facebook page.

I understand what your saying in that its not the original UB40 playin, but Im telling you that I personally (my oppinion and nothing else) would rather see the lead singer becauseas you rightly pointed out, I am not musical or a musician so the band members (whoever they are) are not that important.

Id say you would struggle to find 10 people who could name any of the band apart from Ali and his brothers, of whom I dont even know their names.

Scaller, if Im addressing you fair enough to comment, otherwise keep your beak out of it unless you have something relevant to say. Or else maybe call a mod to sort it out. ;)

TheChevron wrote: »

Scaller, if Im addressing you fair enough to comment, otherwise keep your beak out of it unless you have something relevant to say. Or else maybe call a mod to sort it out. ;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71886097&postcount=273

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Mod Note

TheChevron banned for one week.

Lets carry on posting away without having to get abusive or insulting towards each other. Read the forum charter if in doubt.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭discobrother1

Let me clear about a number of things..

UBd your comments are bordering on slanderous proclaiming that we are misleading people and that we as a company/ or me personally are out to as you quite so unenterainingly put it 'rob' people (MOD TAKE NOTE PLEASE)

Every single shred of advertising for the event has included ALI CAMPBELL'S UB40 followed by one of the following tags

"Ex UB40 Front Man" or "The Legendary Voice of UB40 with his new band"

I really dont think we can be any clearer than that.

In regards to your other misguided comments re Ali's success as a solo artist i will now supply you with the facts

• Big Love (1995) UK #6
    • Running Free (2007) UK #9
    • Flying High (2009) UK #13
    • Great British Songs (2010) UK #15
    4 solo albums which have all reached a top 20 postion in the national UK charts. Not bad on my watch.
    Now i genuinely do NOT want to get into the whole ALI vs UB40 exercise because i really do believe, as ive said before, serves no purpose. That may be how you want to conduct things but were not into that and we wish the new lineup UB40 the very best in their career but the facts need to be pointed out when the statements you are making, which are intended for nothing but to try and deter people from attending our event, are unfounded.

You quite obviously have an agenda that you have not told us all about here. To go to these lengths to try and disrupt the festival is quite sad to be honest.
    Our agenda is quite simple. We are from Enniscorthy and have lived here our lifetime and we offered our services to give the festival a bit of a g up as it was badly needed. If the festival is a success the people of Enniscorthy can stand proud in achievement as this is their, not our festival.

We dont stand behind an online alias and are happy to back up any web posts by signing them to our real name so here goes

Rob Murphy/Pierce White
    MSL Concerts LTD OBO Strawberry Fest 2011

oh and by the way heres a nice video of thousands of people enjoying ALI's infectious vocal on a number of classics that you said he couldnt sing for royalty reasons. You would want to be deaf to not hear that he sounds great

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_Wnx1DIOYc
    Point made hopefully that clears up the matter. Nothing more to say our end. Were far to busy trying to create a memorable festival for people to be engaging in argy bargy on boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

"Firstly, I stand by my comments which are not even bordering on slanderous."

Technically correct. Since they are in a written forum they are bordering on libellous. I think you need to be careful that, in your devotion to the band, you don't run off at the keyboard too much. Accusing people of misleading advertising is a fairly strong move, I hope you have a lawyer if MSL Concerts decides to start legal proceedings.

I have no opinion either way on the issue of Ali Campbell/UB40, indeed I'd rather be staked out in the sun than have to listen to either, but I do know a fair bit about defamation and libel. Just saying.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Mod Note

This is the second year this thread has given the mods grief.

discobrother1; We have a report button, please use it to contact the mods if you have a problem with a post or poster and we will do our best to address it. We don't read every single thread so we need people to report posts so we can address them if needed. If you could also email the Community Managers Dav/Darragh on hello@boards.ie to verify you are who you say you are before posting again - standard Boards procedure! :)

UBd; "Your opinion" doesn't count im afraid. It can still lead to legal issues for you if you say something that is untrue, or incorrect, anywhere including Boards. Basically - be careful what you say. I have removed most of your posts as I don't feel comfortable having them around. Thats not to say I found a problem with them, its just a precuation.

If you feel anybody is misleading people in their advertising, contact The Advertising Standards Authority for Ireland (http://www.asai.ie/) and let them deal with it. I would advice you to do that. They are better equiped. You will need proof - so a scan of the advertisement or a screenshot of their Facebook. I don't see any of that here, which makes me even more uneasy.

Again folks -- please chat according to the Boards.ie Terms of Use and Wexford Forum Charter before posting again. Report posts you have a problem with if they go against such.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Ian7

can you (discobrother) confirm whether Jedward, as advertised on the back of the Enniscorthy Echo toady are headliners or just a support act?

Ian7 wrote: »
    can you (discobrother) confirm whether Jedward, as advertised on the back of the Enniscorthy Echo toady are headliners or just a support act?

Ian7 looking at that Ad on the back of the Echo it does look like that Jedward are Support Act. It looks strange all right. Also if you read the post before yours DiscoBrother1 will have to contact the Mods to prove he has only 1 user account before he can post again.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

scaller wrote: »
    Ian7 looking at that Ad on the back of the Echo it does look like that Jedward are Support Act. It looks strange all right. Also if you read the post before yours DiscoBrother1 will have to contact the Mods to prove he has only 1 user account before he can post again.

That ad now states that tickets for Sunday (Jedward)will cost €10,it was previously stated that entry on the Friday and Sunday was free.
    Was it intended to be free until Jedward were actually confirmed?

hmmm, all a bit odd alright. so is it €10euro to see Jedward support Daniel Furlong and free in to see the saw doctors and cry before dawn later that evening? To be honest, i have no real problem with the €10 as the parents will be willing to fork out that money to keep the kids happy. If the budget was already finalised for the other bands and jedward were a late addition i suppose they need to make up the cost.

without being negative can i just say that i find the whole fair/festival/fest a bit odd now. What i mean is that, well its not really celebrating our strawberry growing past anymore. Its not really a strawberry fest. If i was an outsider to the town i would probably expect to rock up to the town over the weekend to find the place covered in strawberries, people dressed up as strawberry's, strawberry decorations, more than one stall selling them.
    Am i the only one who feels this? I appreciate this years attempt to reclaim it as a top attraction but maybe its time to cut ties with the name if its going to continue to move further away from what it started off as.
    Maybe a smaller festival could be organised dedicated to strawberries and hosted on a separate weekend?

A lot of people are not happy that Jedward tickets are €10 comapred to €5 last year at the dundrody. And that Saturdaynights tickets are now €22 instead of €20.
    People are/Were commenting about it on 1 of the 3 pages that the Strawberryfest/festival/orginisers have on facebook.

• Advertisement

I hope these extra charges don't end up killing the Golden Goose and turn people off the Fest before it even starts.

zerks wrote: »
    I hope these extra charges don't end up killing the Golden Goose and turn people off the Fest before it even starts.

Probably Friday night will draw the crowds and maybe Sunday night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Just spotted this excellent Hitler parody on the Wicklow Forum - somebody should do one for the Strawberry Festival judging by some of the posts here. :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056258473

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭doleman2010

Ah Lord God Bless us and save us lads , where are all the decent traders gona sell there tat now?
    Its gona be a long run until the biggest litter and filth party in the SE , The Borrris fair on the 15 th August.
    Well at least theres a good slope on the main st or temporary jacks for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 UBd

Thanks Mod for the info on misleading advertising. I've lodged my complaint regarding the fact that UB40 appears all over the fest ads but UB40 won't actually be playing there. Anyone else that feels the ads are misleading should do the same.

Just so nobody is fooled by the previous 2 year old you-tube clip of Ali performing as one of many acts in a reggae festival, here's a more recent youtube clip of Ali performing in Ireland to an, ahem, very excited, cough, huge, ha ha "crowd" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVmWulQ-sxQ&feature=player_embedded

here's looking forward to the real UB40 gig in Navan :-)

Thanks Mod for the info on misleading advertising. I've lodged my complaint regarding the fact that UB40 appears all over the fest ads but UB40 won't actually be playing there. Anyone else that feels the ads are misleading should do the same.

Just so nobody is fooled by the previous 2 year old you-tube clip of Ali performing as one of many acts in a reggae festival, here's a more recent youtube clip of Ali performing in Ireland to an, ahem, very excited, cough, huge, ha ha "crowd" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVmWulQ-sxQ&feature=player_embedded

here's looking forward to the real UB40 gig in Navan :-)

Not a mention by you that the brilliant Ryan Sheridan is also playing on the same night,he'd be worth the admission alone.
    Most people who casually listen to UB40 associate them with Ali Cambell and won't actually care who else is on the band.

Show a bit of support for the festival instead of picking holes in it before it's rebirth has even started.I don't want to be resurrecting this thread in a few months due to negativity from people like yourself.

Mod Note

Your sounding like a broken record at this stage UDb and I get the impression you have a hidden agenda.

Lets move on from your views regarding the advertising, and let the ASAI deal with it. Feel free to let us know how you get on.

Posts deleted, again.

zerks wrote: »
    Not a mention by you that the brilliant Ryan Sheridan is also playing on the same night,he'd be worth the admission alone.
    Most people who casually listen to UB40 associate them with Ali Cambell and won't actually care who else is on the band.

Show a bit of support for the festival instead of picking holes in it before it's rebirth has even started.I don't want to be resurrecting this thread in a few months due to negativity from people like yourself.

Apologies Zerks, I did apologise and comment on the positive side of the festival and other superb acts that will be playing and explained my negative comments but that's been deleted. For the record I don't have a hidden agenda. I'm a fan of festivals, gigs, and most music including UB40.

Apologies Zerks, I did apologise and comment on the positive side of the festival and other superb acts that will be playing and explained my negative comments but that's been deleted. For the record I don't have a hidden agenda. I'm a fan of festivals, gigs, and most music including UB40.

Look on the bright side,you will get a chance to see the two UB40's;) playing in Ireland this year.

• Advertisement

Just read a very very recent interview where Ali says that his band is not UB40, it's the DEP Band. Seen em both before zerks, and will see the real UB40 in Navan... but skipping this one for obvious reasons. Mite go see the Coronas or the Sawdoctors or one of the other "quality" acts!

Advertisement