Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Tax return?

Options
  • 26-03-2011 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭

Hi, I spent last summer in the US, I worked in a shoe shop but had very few hours. In total I probably worked about 6 full days, because they didn't give me the hours. I got frustrated at the way they were treating me (ringing me at 9am telling me to come in to work for 1pm, then only giving me 3 hours etc...), so I left a few weeks before I had arranged. I didn't bother picking up my last pay check, so never got any kind of tax forms or anything.

So now I've gotten an email from CIEE looking saying I need to file a tax return. My question is- is this legally required in the US? My wages were properly done, no dodgy under the counter business, so there's no issue with PAYMENT of tax. If I don't file the tax return forms, will I have trouble going back to the states?

Any help would be much appreciated here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Yes, you have to file your taxes regardless of your hours or salary. It would most definitely hinder entering the country at a later stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Trog

Well, that means I'm going to have a very awkward conversation...

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Did you get a social security number when you were there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Trog

I did indeed but I couldn't tell you what/where it is...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

I don't think you have to file, there is an income limit (this year it's $9,350 for a single person) below which you are not obligated to (of course if you file you'll probably get back any tax you paid since you worked for such a short time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement